• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

Doesn't look as cold as it appeared a few days ago...CTP doesn't even have us below zero Wednesday morning, although if we can go calm for even a couple of hours before sunrise that would change, at least in Bellefonte.  Still calling for -7° tonight which I think is easily doable with 850 temps from -27° to -29° tomorrow morning.

We managed to hold on to most of our snow here, never got above 36° last night.  There were still some patches of ice on the roads this morning.

yep, same here. 

Yet another yawner of a warmup around here. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look to be as bad as the first shot of cold air.  Pressure falls are further north so the wind would probably only be an issue on the ridge tops.  Limited snow cover to assist radiational cooling.  Seems like it's just a cold snap.  What the heck is with people freaking out over cold in January?

I think some of us are looking at projected low temperatures for tonight that aren't as low as what we saw Friday night and might be missing a couple of things:

1. We had fresh snowcover and light to calm winds Friday night. I think 0-5 above with strong winds and little snowcover is more impressive than -5 with no wind. I'm quite sure tomorrow morning will be far more harsh than Saturday morning was.

2. The core of the cold is during the day tomorrow...it's about timing, too. Friday I had a high of 20 and 30 on Saturday. Tomorrow we might not reach 10 in Lancaster.

This is an impressive cold shot for sure. Temperatures will be close to values from the weekend without the benefit of optimal cooling st night.

Doesn't look to be as bad as the first shot of cold air. Pressure falls are further north so the wind would probably only be an issue on the ridge tops. Limited snow cover to assist radiational

cooling. Seems like it's just a cold snap. What the heck is with people freaking out over cold in January?

But with a fresh snowcover and light winds this would undoubtably bring lower values than this past weekend. MDT barely got below 10 Friday night. They won't be much above that if at all when the sun sets tomorrow....

Doesn't look to be as bad as the first shot of cold air.  Pressure falls are further north so the wind would probably only be an issue on the ridge tops.  Limited snow cover to assist radiational cooling.  Seems like it's just a cold snap.  What the heck is with people freaking out over cold in January?

whose freeking out?

You guys saying no snow cover, I invite you to Harrisburg.

Yep, solid snow cover except in areas where drifting exposed grass. This cold shot will have much more of a wind factor so the wind chill will be the main weather headline. It will feel much colder to the general public than the last cold wave. I wonder when the last time we had wind chills below -15F. That is pretty impressive around here.

Yep, solid snow cover except in areas where drifting exposed grass. This cold shot will have much more of a wind factor so the wind chill will be the main weather headline. It will feel much

colder to the general public than the last cold wave. I wonder when the last time we had wind chills below -15F. That is pretty impressive

around here.

That's what I'm saying...

People asking if schools should close...media (as per usual). Poor kids...they may get cold waiting for a bus. Cry me a river.

Agreed...we live in a different world these days. I graduated 30 years ago. We wouldn't have this discussion. I remember being in middle school in the 70's when we had crazy cold that lasted for weeks. We bundled up, business as usual.

People asking if schools should close...media (as per usual).  Poor kids...they may get cold waiting for a bus.  Cry me a river.

i agree, but i will bet you they do delay or close. i made this bet last week.

Agreed...we live in a different world these days. I graduated 30 years ago. We wouldn't have this discussion. I remember being in middle school in the 70's when we had crazy cold that lasted for weeks. We bundled up, business as usual.

its a kindler, softer nation now. you know us, we walked to school, uphill both ways :lmao: we were so poor we couldn't even pay attention :whistle:

in general, people just need something to b**ch about, so it might as well be how bad the school admin is for making their precious lil children walk/stand in the cold. I would also bet, 50% or higher of the kids in school don't even have footwear for cold or snow.

I really don't understand the problem everyone always has when the schools close or delay. I really do no think a handful of delays/closures  a year is going to change anything. Yes, it is sometimes difficult for the parents to arrange their schedules. But I really find it strange how people seem to have a problem with it... what is wrong with a little precaution (yes, seemingly unnecessary at times).

It appears the colder air that has lagged behind the front is finally moving in... temperature down 2F in the last hour with northwest wind gusts upwards of 25mph at times.

you mean the ones that hear a new term in "polar vortex" and act like the abominable snowman is coming to town?

I really don't understand the problem everyone always has when the schools close or delay. I really do no think a handful of delays/closures a year is going to change anything. Yes, it is

sometimes difficult for the parents to arrange their schedules. But I really find it strange how people seem to have a problem with it... what is wrong with a little precaution (yes, seemingly unnecessary at times).

Adults have put the school system in a no-win situation these days. There are complaints and anger no matter what decision schools make. It's a tough place to be for sure.

Adults have put the school system in a no-win situation these days. There are complaints and anger no matter what decision schools make. It's a tough place to be for sure.

plus the people who sue at will... kid falls at a bus stop on thin ice and there will be people out there that will sue the school district for not having a delay all because their kid was probably goofing off and got hurt on ice in the dead of winter

back on topic...

looking through the data I just find it facinating that the last two times the high temperature in Harrisburg was below 20 degrees in January was January 16, 2009 (15) and January 22, 2005 (18)... not sure if that is just due to location relative to heat island effects or not but temperatures for tomorrow are certainly something we just havnt seen in a long time... but like Eskimo Joe was saying the media is making this out to be a near death experience when if you are just smart you wont end up with frostbite or anything

Yeah. Most winters have warmups in them.

BTW, Pittsburgh has quietly become Snowburgh in the last 11 years. Since 2002-2003, y'all have had...

2 normal snowfall winters

3 below-normal snowfall winters

6 (!) above-normal snowfall winters

During the infamous winter of 2011-2012, PIT got 36.9, not that far below the normal of 41.9. The 11 year average is a remarkable 49.5.

Luckily this winter the cold has prevailed. :)

Interesting stats, it certainly feels like it has been snowier the last several years so its good to see stats back that up.

plus the people who sue at will... kid falls at a bus stop on thin ice and there will be people out there that will sue the school district for not having a delay all because their kid was probably goofing off and got hurt on ice in the dead of winter

This...it's the freaking culture of suing for every damn thing under the sun...and winning!

i agree, but i will bet you they do delay or close. i made this bet last week.

its a kindler, softer nation now. you know us, we walked to school, uphill both ways :lmao: we were so poor we couldn't even pay attention :whistle:

in general, people just need something to b**ch about, so it might as well be how bad the school admin is for making their precious lil children walk/stand in the cold. I would also bet, 50% or higher of the kids in school don't even have footwear for cold or snow.

Sadly, I have to agree.

you mean the ones that hear a new term in "polar vortex" and act like the abominable snowman is coming to town?

HOLY SH!T....THE POLAR VORTEX IS COMING?!  EVERYONE HIDE...LAST TIME IT ATE CHARLIE!!

I really don't understand the problem everyone always has when the schools close or delay. I really do no think a handful of delays/closures  a year is going to change anything. Yes, it is sometimes difficult for the parents to arrange their schedules. But I really find it strange how people seem to have a problem with it... what is wrong with a little precaution (yes, seemingly unnecessary at times).

It appears the colder air that has lagged behind the front is finally moving in... temperature down 2F in the last hour with northwest wind gusts upwards of 25mph at times.

The Admin is definitly in a tough spot. My opinon of it is, at times the make no sense with their actions. Just like the other day, i think those southern schools that were closing were justified. The ones who didn't were foolish. These admin, need to take the advice of the township highway foreman and listen to the police, then make their decision, some don't do that.

This ^

Decisions these days are made based on what a layer says to do to avoid any possible litigation. If a kid gets frost bitten or a bus load of kids gets stuck somewhere parents will be up in arms. So the safe call is to just delay or close and avoid any problems. Amost everything we do at work that is new needs to go through "Legal Council" before it can even be considered.

At any rate, the rollercoaster continues in this highly progressive pattern, and we'll be at or above 50 down this way by the weekend. Perhaps more wintery threats looming beyond that.

Outside of this record breaking cold, looks like a quick warm up for the weekend reload cold next week but it don't appear there is much in the way of storminess on the models. Hope it is my untrained eye that is wrong! :-)

I grew up in north-central Illinois.  If schools had closed every time the morning temperature was a few degrees below zero, there would have been many days every winter, not just in January, when I was growing up on which schools would have closed.  We generally went to school until the temperatures were below -20.  Bundle up!  

The temperature certainly dropped rapidly earlier this morning.  I left my apartment on my bicycle (yes, stupid me) for a couple of errands in downtown (about a mile away) and work at 0830, and road conditions were fine for riding.  However, by 0900, when I was done with the errands, it was much too slippery to ride, and it was obvious that the temperature had dropped five or six degrees in the preceding 30 or so minutes.  

Here is how it was explained to me: Schools will close for extreme cold weather because if a fire alarm goes off a student could be forced outside for 10 or more minutes.

the other reasons were mentioned above. The concern for having warm clothes and being able to be dressed for the weather. And the litigation issue. if something got frostbite and other schools in the area closed, the parents riot.

My wife works as a kindergarten/first grade center. Parents call when a school closes and when they don't close.

Archived