Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a friend of mine who lives just north of Atlanta told me schools down there closed today!

The low at my parents' house is set to be 14. That'd likely set all sorts of records and it's a major issue because their pipes aren't insulated like here - cold in the south is a major thing. Plus most people don't really have that much cold weather clothing.

The wind chill in New Orleans this morning was like 10, that to them is worse than us at -20 IMO.

My mini-rant about school closings:

- The people who b**ch about delays are the EXACT SAME people who would sue if Junior ended up in a ditch with 50 of his classmates. 

- For God's sake, the people who say "there's a delay and not even a flake in the air" please STFU. The whole idea is to get kids and drivers off the roads before they get bad. If they wait until it's snowing, the roads might end up being really bad by the time they get the bus loaded. 

- And finally, good Lord are the State College School District parents who live in State College itself ever the whiniest group of human beings on the planet. They whine more than our greyhounds when they want a treat. They b**ch and moan about delays based on what they see in town as far as roads but really don't give a **** about State College School District kids who live outside of town (it's a big district). Downtown State College roads could be wet but outside around Boalsburg on the hills they could be terrible. And if you point that out, they are not shy about clearing stating that their schedule is more important than the kids who don't live in town. 

- The people who b**ch about delays are the EXACT SAME people who would sue if Junior ended up in a ditch with 50 of his classmates. 

- For God's sake, the people who say "there's a delay and not even a flake in the air" please STFU. The whole idea is to get kids and drivers off the roads before they get bad. If they wait until it's snowing, the roads might end up being really bad by the time they get the bus loaded. 

- And finally, good Lord are the State College School District parents who live in State College itself ever the whiniest group of human beings on the planet. They whine more than our greyhounds when they want a treat. They b**ch and moan about delays based on what they see in town as far as roads but really don't give a **** about State College School District kids who live outside of town (it's a big district). Downtown State College roads could be wet but outside around Boalsburg on the hills they could be terrible. And if you point that out, they are not shy about clearing stating that their schedule is more important than the kids who don't live in town. 

example- Last week in York County, School van driver crashed and died.

good points, The Pocono Mountain School District has 4000 miles of road in it's area. they close often. their comments were something like this: if we have 10% of our roads affected, that is 400 miles of hazards.

The school decides based on the safety of the students.  that is a great position to have.

Well, as one of those whiny in-towners...

Everyone complains, but I think I hear a lot more complaints from the more rural people in the District.  For this I find no fault, because the closures are a much bigger inconvenience for them, by and large.  But does it really make sense to delay or cancel after a few inches of snow, because someone somewhere might have some travel problems?  The people I know who live in rural areas are prepared for this.  It's part of the cost of living, and the people on the outskirts of the district are not necessarily the poor people, quite the opposite in many cases.

It's also important not to assume that all of the complaints are aimed at the District.  When I complain it's mostly that things have now evolved to the point where the slightest liability paralyzes us.  Let me put it this way, I'm a native southern Californian, by way of Chicago for a bit, and I can't believe how little weather it takes to shut things down around here.  I know that this isn't anything specific about this region, and that this trend has established itself everywhere.  But when a few inches of snow forces a delay or cancellation, it is perfectly sensible to look around and ask just what the heck is going on?  And why does snow seem to get more of a severe response than fzra?

You do make a good point about the large size of SCASD and other school districts here in Pennsylvania.  School districts here in PA seem quite large compared to their counterparts, say, in Illinois, where they are fairly small and there is not much mixing between rural and city students.  

You do make a good point about the large size of SCASD and other school districts here in Pennsylvania.  School districts here in PA seem quite large compared to their counterparts, say, in Illinois, where they are fairly small and there is not much mixing between rural and city students.  

PA has more ISDs than any other state or very close to it, they need to consolidate them in half at least to save a crapload of admin costs. Off topic, sorry.

****************** RECORD MINIMUM TEMPERATURES ******************

LOCATION             JANUARY 7 (DATE SET)   JANUARY 8 (DATE SET)   

HARRISBURG            +5            1942                         0       1970,1942
   WILLIAMSPORT         -2             1942                       -10         1942
   STATE COLLEGE       -1          1988,1942                  -9          1942
   ALTOONA                   +2            1988                        -2         1970
   BRADFORD                -10           1988                        -7         1968

HARRISBURG            +5            1942                         0       1970,1942

ALTOONA                   +2            1988                        -2         1970

BRADFORD                -10           1988                        -7         1968

I think the bolded are the most vulnerable, especially Altoona.

Harrisburg and Altoona are in trouble, especially Harrisburg.

All those locations, except maybe Bradford, should be able to eek out (or even smash) a record for 7 January.  For 8 January, I'd say it's unlikely at Williamsport and State College, not too likely at Bradford and Harrisburg, and possible at Altoona.  

I think the bolded are the most vulnerable, especially Altoona.

and those are just the record lows...

Harrisburg has lowest high record of 16 for the 7th (1888-present), Altoona 15 (1948-present), Williamsport 15 (1895-present), State College 9 (1893-present), Bradford 10 (1957-present)

Archived