Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we had freezing rain here until just before 8:00pm.  Main road by my development has been fine.  Street and sidewalks in my development are iced over.  Light glaze on trees now.

Temp has been 32.2 degrees for almost 3 straight hours and hasn't budged.  I'm sure that when the leading edge of the rain reaches us from western pa our temps here will shoot up into the 40's.  However, the front is progged to move through here around 6:00am, so I don't think we'll lose too much snow cover because it's iced over now.  Guess it just depends on how heavy and how much rain ends up falling with those warmer temps.

Heard about school delays on my way to work this morning and was like "why?" It is a whole different world down here.

i live by the firehouse and the road crew takes care of that road pretty quickly, however i could see and feel the frozen ruts this morning when i left. It seems anywhere the roads were not down to asphalt or the sun didn't melt it, they're the worst spots.

It's only 36, no wonder ice is here still.

Oh and a wind child advisory is up:

Wind Chill Advisory

Expires 7:00 PM EST on January 07, 2014

Statement as of 5:19 am EST on January 6, 2014

... Wind Chill Advisory in effect from 1 am to 7 PM EST Tuesday...

The National Weather Service in State College has issued a Wind

Chill Advisory... which is in effect from 1 am to 7 PM EST

Tuesday.

* Locations... the Susquehanna valley.

* Hazard types... dangerous wind chills.

* Wind chill readings... 15 to 25 below zero.

* Timing... tonight through Tuesday.

* Impacts... frost bite and hypothermia will be possible for those

exposed to the cold without proper attire.

* Temperatures... zero to 10 above zero.

So apparently it's supposed to get chilly tonight?  Too bad we don't have a snow pack this time.

Doesn't look as cold as it appeared a few days ago...CTP doesn't even have us below zero Wednesday morning, although if we can go calm for even a couple of hours before sunrise that would change, at least in Bellefonte.  Still calling for -7° tonight which I think is easily doable with 850 temps from -27° to -29° tomorrow morning.

We managed to hold on to most of our snow here, never got above 36° last night.  There were still some patches of ice on the roads this morning.

Lancaster newspaper had front page article this morning that schools here are considering closing tomorrow due to low windchills.

I had told my daughter last week about this, she said no way the delay or cancel because of cold. i said ok, instead of driving, or riding to school with your friends, go stand at the bus stop in negative temps! :whistle:

Down to 35 here at work, i am honestly concerned for peoples commute later.

Archived