Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it cold enough to throw boiling water into the air.

Me and my son tried it the other day when it was 0 and it worked good..nice cloud.

We also did the blowing soap bubbles and having them freeze.

I have some water boiling now that im going to put in my big sprayer to try.

Down now to +2.2F with a dewpoint of -12.9F.  While I know I will not reach the coldest temp I ever observed at my own home (in northern nj back in '94 which was -8F), I do believe it is likely that I am about to experience the coldest/lowest dewpoint temperature that I have ever witnessed, which was -15F, probably back in 1994 but I can't remember perfectly the date.  Dew Points are all in the high teens below zero to our west out in Ohio and western PA and will likely translate eastward overnight.  I'm only 2 degrees away from breaking that personal record of my entire life (54 years).

Looking forward to getting more updates from Zak.  I'm jealous.  I would have loved to have traveled up there with him to witness 5 feet of snow in 2 days. :snowing:

My forecasted NWS low for tonight was +2 and I'm at that low right now.  It will be interesting to see how much lower we are by morning.  The models originally were calling for minus 7 degrees and then slowly have warmed up to just a tad above zero.

For you older folks like me, the one date that reminds me of what we are all experiencing here tonight is December 25, 1980.  There hasn't been a day like that that had temps a little below zero with winds of 15 to 25 with gusts to 35mph since that incredible morning.  I had a Heathkit weather station (ID-4001) and it would calculate the live wind chill.  Back then it was the original tables which were much colder than today's.  I remember seeing the live wind chill reach -57 degrees at one point...insane.  The high temp that day definitely remained well below +10 degrees...I think it only got up to around +4F that afternoon.  That is the coldest day overall I have ever lived through, even a tad colder than Jan'94.  Ahhh...memories of old.  Stay warm everyone.  See you in the AM with my temp update.

My mom says her thermometer shows -20 at her place in Lecontes Mills (about 15 miles north east of me)

Not sure how accurate it is but its COLD either way.

Yea that's probably a bit too low but there is a station on Mesowest pretty close to the Penfield Rt 153 exit on I-80 that is measuring -15 right now. 

Down now to +2.2F with a dewpoint of -12.9F. While I know I will not reach the coldest temp I ever observed at my own home (in northern nj back in '94 which was -8F), I do believe it is likely

that I am about to experience the coldest/lowest dewpoint temperature that I have ever witnessed, which was -15F, probably back in 1994 but I can't

remember perfectly the date. Dew Points are all in the high teens below zero to our west out in Ohio and western PA and will likely translate eastward overnight. I'm only 2 degrees away

from breaking that personal record of my entire life (54 years).

Looking forward to getting more updates from

Zak. I'm jealous. I would have loved to have traveled up there with him to witness 5 feet of snow in 2 days. :snowing:

My forecasted NWS low for tonight was +2 and I'm at that low right now. It will be interesting to see how much lower we are by morning. The models originally were calling for minus 7 degrees and then slowly have warmed up to just a tad above zero.

For you older folks like me, the one date that reminds me of what we are all experiencing here tonight is December 25, 1980. There hasn't been

a day like that that had temps a little below zero with winds of 15 to 25 with gusts to 35mph since that incredible morning. I had a Heathkit weather station (ID-4001) and it would calculate the live wind chill. Back then it was the original tables which were much colder than today's. I remember seeing the live wind chill reach -57 degrees at one point...insane. The high temp that day definitely remained well below +10 degrees...I think it only got up to around +4F that afternoon. That is the coldest day overall I have ever lived through, even a tad colder than Jan'94. Ahhh...memories of old. Stay warm everyone. See you in the AM with my temp update.

I don't know why, but I was thinking that was December 25, 1983 instead. My memory is probably failing like the rest of me.

Archived