• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pre Xmas storm

mahk_webstah

The closest it got to CT line in 2008 was North Oxford Ma; close enough for me. Was listening on the scanner that night, and FD was everywhere with roads blocked, Disastah!

There was light icing in Union above 1000'.  It wasn't enough to do much damage (some branches did break).  I was up there the following morning to check on my trees and have some pictures some where.  It was nothing like northern Worcester county though!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have your Internet service through your cable provider, you can use a backup power source to run your modem and you might still have internet service.  I have a UPS that runs mine so I can keep my internet up for a day or two (modems don't take a lot of power) if the power goes out.

I had an electrician convert ours to an outlet so I can run our pump.

That's called a suicide cord because you potentially could have live posts if you're not careful.  Also, main switches aren't designed like double throw switches because power could arc or cross within the breaker.

If its anything like 1998 was ,He won't have any internet either, I can't remeber the number of snapped power poles, But it was substantial

You guys thinking of running out and buying a generator, do u already have transfer switch installed?

Sent from my LG-E980

Seems like 2 different kinds of generators being discussed. Isn't that for the heavy duty permanent install kind?

Don't screw around with generators. Make sure they are hooked up right because if the power goes on and your generator is on, you'll take out the neighborhood.

Yeah...they can also feed down the power lines and make dead wires "live". Which sucks for public safety folks and line crews

Transfer switch and sub-panel can be used with any portable generator that has 220v out on it.  Easy install in most houses with up to date wiring. DIY if you are confident  with your wiring skills.

If you are running a furnace you should have at least 5000W genny.  More is better and essential if you have well water.  If you are going the sub-panel route I would say go 8000w or above.  The auto-start hard install gennys are nice but I prefer to have something I can also pull start and move around if needed.  Honda or Subaru generators are the way to go.

I've back fed (not advocating this) into a house in dire situations of long term power out but make sure you kill the main so you don't fry some poor sob repairing the lines or have your genny get blown out when power comes back up.

Remember, no power and your pellet stove has to be hand fed w/o a genny and your gas stove might not work if it's one of the modern electric starts so figure that into your sub-panel plan. Yyou don't really need to have the entire house on back up just the essentials. We just have furnace, partial kitchen, one bedroom and partial living room (stereo of course) on back up breakers.

Wood stove is the big difference if you have one. Out door gas grill is real nice.

If you are expecting prolonged you can of course never have too many batteries but extra mag-lite bulbs are also a must have in your utility drawer.

Beeswax candles cost more but less smoke.  Battery powered lanterns throw a lot more light with a mirror or aluminum foil behind them.

No harm in keeping 10 gallons of extra gas in the shed, just use it up in 6 months or less.

To do over again I would have bought a diesel genny because you can run it off home heating oil and there are potentially hundreds of gallons of extra fuel sitting in my basement if it came to that.

I went 2.5 weeks without power in Brunswick Maine during the Ice Storm of 1998. It isn't fun after the first 2 days...

I must ask others opinions but I actual have vivid memories of 1998 thinking about Ice Storms. This storm COULD be causing some serious problems for a good portion of Maine and parts of New Hampshire.

I put "COULD" to emphasize the time before event

What are your thoughts about the potential impact in your backyard- the Caledonia county area? It looks like it could be dicey around here.

What are your thoughts about the potential impact in the Caledonia county area? It looks like it could be dicey around here.

I think it will be a battle of Snow, Sleet and FZRA. Cold air may hold on tough in the Passumpsic River Valley however I feel the CT River Valley will warm up. So in turn it is iffy for Caledonia County. Will need to wait until Thursday night or Friday morning to get a better idea. 

I know - I want Ice.  So trending colder will be better.

Wow, really? I never, ever, ever,  want to experience the epic ice storm we had a few years ago. No power for a week and trees down all over the yard.....not to mention the fence smashed in multiple places....no thanks, they scare the hell out of me. Thank goodness we didn't have a deep freeze right after the storm or I would have been screwed scrambling for a generator. I know, I should have one where I am.

Agree it isn't a thrill at all.

Maine along with Quebec were a disaster in 1998 and NH was in 2008

Places like Townsend, Ma were real bad in 2008 too. Unitel (power company) got a lot of heat (no pun intended) for their lack of response to that storm. Some towns in Mass had no power for over two weeks going into Christmas....pure misery.

Here is a pic from quebec from the 1998 storm

Some pics from around this area of VT from 1998... not mine but I found a bunch from here in Lamoille County.

ice-guilford.jpg

icestorm.jpg

This is a crazy pic from Maine though... this is what happens when you have no heat and your pipes burst all over the house.  Next thing you know, your house is filling with water from burst pipes and its 20 degrees inside.  This is all water that came from pipes in the ceiling that burst.

frozencars.jpg

No ice concerns here, but it'd be nice to preserve some of this 15" snowpack for Christmas.  Low 40s and rain may do some damage, but won't wipe us clean.  Mid 50s and rain would wipe us clean.

I am definitely going to get wiped clean in the BTV area if the warm air shoots up the valley and we go to plain rain. We only have 4-5" left.

Some pics from around this area of VT from 1998... not mine but I found a bunch from here in Lamoille County.

ice-guilford.jpg

icestorm.jpg

This is a crazy pic from Maine though... this is what happens when you have no heat and your pipes burst all over the house.  Next thing you know, your house is filling with water from burst pipes and its 20 degrees inside.  This is all water that came from pipes in the ceiling that burst.

frozencars.jpg

This is starting to bring back some bad memories

classic playbook winter, silver thaw locks up the pack in the MTS.

Speaking of playbook, when ran a drill with the National Guard to train on disaster response earlier this fall. The scenario our WCM came up with was a blizzard, followed by an ice storm 3 days later, followed by Arctic cold after everyone lost power.

I'm wondering what voodoo was involved with coming up with that plan.

Is North Conway a prime ZR area? How about Bartlett, NH. Not familiar w ice climo in north central nh.

They're both pretty prime locations for ice. They will hold onto the CAD some of the longest in the area. Bartlett because of the elevation assist may have more potential ice because the cold dome usually maxes out just below 1000 feet.

NAM coming in warmer than 18Z. Still a mess for ME and the North Conway area.

The NAM's surface high(s) in Quebec is significantly weaker than the GFS and the Euro.  My guess is some of the 500mb troughiness in central Canada in the northern branch is screwing up the confluence and the cold air delivery.  

Archived