Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pre Xmas storm

mahk_webstah

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think I'll max at?

Saturday may be a mild day before the front sags south. If the front waits until late day, it may be 45-50 there briefly. Clearly if it sags south into your area at like 11am it is a different story. I think you wedge in Saturday aftn and stay that way until at least Sunday night. It's quiter possible you briefly spike to low 50s before fropa Monday morning, but then fall. My guess is your white Christmas potential is very high.

Clearly every mile south the front makes it will dictate how warm and for how long. I could see a town like Attleboro torching Sunday afternoon and then taking 12 hrs to move 20 miles into your hood. So as you can see, the forecast is not an easy one.

Saturday may be a mild day before the front sags south. If the front waits until late day, it may be 45-50 there briefly. Clearly if it sags south into your area at like 11am it is a different story. I think you wedge in Saturday aftn and stay that way until at least Sunday night. It's quiter possible you briefly spike to low 50s before fropa Monday morning, but then fall. My guess is your white Christmas potential is very high.

Clearly every mile south the front makes it will dictate how warm and for how long. I could see a town like Attleboro torching Sunday afternoon and then taking 12 hrs to move 20 miles into your hood. So as you can see, the forecast is not an easy one.

I agree.

I'm suprised at the amound of red taggers expecting that front to bodily sweep so easily through a deep snowpack, with a high of that intensity positioned so optinally.

The bell is about to ring, heralding the start of class.

that's a really good summary, imo.

Happy birthday to you! 45 years young. A gift to you this year is snow cover and hopefully good health and plenty more snow. Have a great day!

Happy birthday Met smokes Herb, I was up your way, great snow cover for your birthday. Amazing amount of frozen waterways. The climo thaw comes at a bad time but man the analog package going forward is fantastic.

Thanks guys - Let's hope we can roll into 2014 in 1994 style.  Just sucks having to lose it all but you guys probably remember that happening in 1996.  I think that still hurts!

I have a practical reason for wanting the snowpack to survive. I snowshoe almost daily - a 3.5 mile loop out back and sitting around in 0F wx looking out at bare ground is depressing. People who downhill ski probably don't care about snowpack, but snow shoers rely on nature's largesse. I'm hoping to hang on a good six inch frozen base and then I know I will get numerous minor bouts of LES to cover that again.

Exactly, people who don"t play in it, don't have kids who do, see no intrinsic value. Charlie Brown window watchers I guess.

Thanks guys - Let's hope we can roll into 2014 in 1994 style.  Just sucks having to lose it all but you guys probably remember that happening in 1996.  I think that still hurts!

1996 sucked, but it was actually in retrospective pretty incredible to live through and witness, and of course what followed by pretty incredible.

Focus on the Euro - it likely has the right idea on the lower level cold.  I think it has shown the cold remaining more consistently than the other models if I am not mistaken.

I'm just commenting on what it shows. When I mentioned it may be aggressive..it's because I didn't really buy that depiction.

Bailing when the going gets tough since 2003.

:weenie:  Here is one way

LOL

Happy birthday.

New NAM is a torch for a lot of SNE.  Seems a little aggressive, but who knows.

Ahem.......

I have a practical reason for wanting the snowpack to survive. I snowshoe almost daily - a 3.5 mile loop out back and sitting around in 0F wx looking out at bare ground is depressing. People who downhill ski probably don't care about snowpack, but snow shoers rely on nature's largesse. I'm hoping to hang on a good six inch frozen base and then I know I will get numerous minor bouts of LES to cover that again.

I share the sentiment about the snowpack.  I cross country ski on it as many days a week as possible.

I'm afraid we are headed for Torchistan this weekend though.  My guess is mushy piles left in the woods with large areas of bare ground by Monday AM.

People who downhill ski only on groomers with machine-made snow probably don't care about snowpack. People like me who prefer to downhill ski on natural snow trails, in the woods and/or backcountry care very much. That said, snowpack can be replenished quickly if things line up right; a bad ice storm can wreck the woods for the winter or even beyond. As much as I'd hate a torch I'd take it over a bad ice storm without hesitation.

Archived