• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pre Xmas storm

mahk_webstah

i do hope that front can get down into MA so we have something to track. i don't wish a crippling ice storm on anyone...but also have no interest in 7 days of boredom. :lol:

That's about where I draw the line ... It doesn't bother me if it is raining or snowing, hot or cold, tornadoing or hurricaning ... whatever, as long as it is doing something.  

Having said that, yeah - ice storms ... not a big fan.  I mean, half of why folks enjoy the weather is the shared experience of the dramatic.  Well ... we are no longer sharing when the lights go out.  And that's the rub ... folks figure out in a hurry that the novelty of the ice storm wears out the moment you realize you can't make toast.  No football games.  No reality TV.  No internet.  "Oh, wait, can't do that without power.  Oh well -- I guess I'll go D'OH!  Alright, well .. guess we'll; oh wait crap."   Just stand there in an dark, listening for the next limb to snap off the neighbor's tree -- now THAT's a good time   :axe:  to mention, and for the home own, then comes the hours watching the interior temperature near the upper 30s.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's about where I draw the line ... It doesn't bother me if it is raining or snowing, hot or cold, tornadoing or hurricaning ... whatever, as long as it is doing something.  

Having said that, yeah - ice storms ... not a big fan.  I mean, half of why folks enjoy the weather is the shared experience of the dramatic.  Well ... we are no longer sharing when the lights go out.  And that's the rub ... folks figure out in a hurry that the novelty of the ice storm wears out the moment you realize you can't make toast.  No football games.  No reality TV.  No internet.  "Oh, wait, can't do that without power.  Oh well -- I guess I'll go D'OH!  Alright, well .. guess we'll; oh wait crap."   Just stand there in an dark, listening for the next limb to snap off the neighbor's tree -- now THAT's a good time   :axe:  to mention, and for the home own, then comes the hours watching the interior temperature near the upper 30s.

:lol: :lol:

We lucked out in 2008 here and got a large percentage of sleet. I can't see rooting for fzra here except to preserve snow pack. If I was in NH or ME I would be hoping for more PL and less ice.

I never really understood 2008... It was raining so hard, but we still got an inch plus of ice.  Will has tried to explain it to me, but it was such a weird event

Would rather have bare ground than an inch of ZR 3 or 4 days before Christmas. Starting to get that "wish I had a generator" feeling from the talk in here.

If it looks like ZR is truly going to be an issue I will be heading out to by one

Bryan, it's a smart decision. My cousin forked over 22k right before sandy and they were on generator power only for 7 days in nj.

I know people probably don't wanna talk torch...but here are some relevant records for Sunday.

BOS: 62 (1990)

ORH: 63 (1923)

BDL: 59 (1990)

PVD: 61 (1990)

BDR: 59 (1998)

EWR: 65 (1998)

hmmm..maybe puts EWR, BDR and BDL in jeopardy? too early to really say but at model face value and some climo for S flow...that would be my early guess if i had to pick ones that might be threatened

I know people probably don't wanna talk torch...but here are some relevant records for Sunday.

BOS: 62 (1990)

ORH: 63 (1923)

BDL: 59 (1990)

PVD: 61 (1990)

BDR: 59 (1998)

EWR: 65 (1998)

With the front likely south of most of the region the only one vulnerable there would be Newark..With NE flow and drain ..it will end up near NYC..I think we'll start seeing media outlets taking forecast highs down starting tonight once they see what's happening

Would rather have bare ground than an inch of ZR 3 or 4 days before Christmas. Starting to get that "wish I had a generator" feeling from the talk in here.

I ordered a portable one this morning. A hefty investment but I can go pick it up tomorrow. I will wait on adding oil and gas to it until the power is out. If nothing happens with my power by Monday, I'll return it and start looking for a brand I really want.

I'll just pray it starts when needed!

I ordered a portable one this morning. A hefty investment but I can go pick it up tomorrow. I will wait on adding oil and gas to it until the power is out. If nothing happens with my power by Monday, I'll return it and start looking for a brand I really want.

I'll just pray it starts when needed!

word of advice from someone who has been there for , 10 days, 7 days, 3 days. Get lots of gas early. gas stations cant pump either. 

Word of advice don't wait very long if you are going to pull the trigger on one, You wait to long there will be none to be had once the word gets out

Right which is why I was wondering on timing.  I mean - my location is on the cusp anyway - might be too warm here.  So if I have a couple more days to watch the trend that would be great.

Word of advice don't wait very long if you are going to pull the trigger on one, You wait to long there will be none to be had once the word gets out

We're trying not to incite panic at this range, but it's about the point where we have to start using the words freezing rain together without going so far as to say ice storm.

Right which is why I was wondering on timing.  I mean - my location is on the cusp anyway - might be too warm here.  So if I have a couple more days to watch the trend that would be great.

Models have a wave of lift Saturday that could be mixed precip, but the main show so to speak would be Sunday. However if we sustained lift between the two waves, you could just get a prolonged period of freezing drizzle.

Archived