• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

metalicwx366

Kind of ironic, if I moved to Missouri I would be hoping for this pattern to continue. --This horrible pattern for us is a great pattern for somebody else. I think this is why I still have some hope left. There is cold air around; my thinking is that eventually we will cash in either through a perfect setup or the NAO & PNA will cooperate for a short time. As I stated before. I'm hoping for the perfect thread the needle storm(soon) but betting on the end of January and early February period for a better pattern.     

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of ironic, if I moved to Missouri I would be hoping for this pattern to continue. --This horrible pattern for us is a great pattern for somebody else. I think this is why I still have some hope left. There is cold air around; my thinking is that eventually we will cash in either through a perfect setup or the NAO & PNA will cooperate for a short time. As I stated before. I'm hoping for the perfect thread the needle storm(soon) but betting on the end of January and early February period for a better pattern.

It won't happen. The OPI has told us what we need to know. There is no SSW coming up either to potentially change the pattern. Cold and dry winters do happen.

It won't happen. The OPI has told us what we need to know. There is no SSW coming up either to potentially change the pattern. Cold and dry winters do happen.

Exactly, people in here should read the thread. Everything wouldn't be so surprising. If it is right, which it has been so far, our best chance at wintry precipitation will be in February.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41639-seasonal-winter-20132014-forecast-based-on-opi-index/page-2#entry2577865

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6809/16k2.png

Exactly, people in here should read the thread. Everything wouldn't be so surprising. If it is right, which it has been so far, our best chance at wintry precipitation will be in February. http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41639-seasonal-winter-20132014-forecast-based-on-opi-index/page-2#entry2577865http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6809/16k2.png

Seeing the storm for the NE on the horizon would you say the same for them? Best chance Feb?

As much as everyone wants to believe it, the OPI isn't our one index savior for uncertainty in LR forecasting. It's just not that easy. It's a cool tool but it's only one part of the equation and hanging your hat on that index will get you in trouble.

Seeing the storm for the NE on the horizon would you say the same for them? Best chance Feb?As much as everyone wants to believe it, the OPI isn't our one index savior for uncertainty in LR forecasting. It's just not that easy. It's a cool tool but it's only one part of the equation and hanging your hat on that index will get you in trouble.

The NE and midwest have done well so far this winter. I'm saying that it might be a good for the SE to look at. You see in the chart where the Tropospheric wave development activity was high in Late November and early December, you guys received snow and we had some very cold air around Thanksgiving. It is forecasted to peak in February which might be another opportunity in the SE for wintry weather. It also helped the guy nail the 500hpa guy potentially anamolies during that Late November period. He made the forecast at the beginning of November.

Seeing the storm for the NE on the horizon would you say the same for them? Best chance Feb? As much as everyone wants to believe it, the OPI isn't our one index savior for uncertainty in LR forecasting. It's just not that easy. It's a cool tool but it's only one part of the equation and hanging your hat on that index will get you in trouble.

Given the pattern we've seen so far, and assuming the OPI index continues it's accuracy I'd say the OPI index would be a better indicator for winter weather for the SE.  The NE is having a pretty great season so far, +AO or not.

My vote is no storm thread until within 48 to 72 hours of an event.

agree 100 percent... 48-60 hours at most

For real? Maybe I'm having a memory lapse but I don't remember starting storm-specific threads this late. At most 2 to 2.5 days out? Might as well wait and create an OBS thread. Call me crazy but there are plenty of model runs and solutions to fill pages of thoughts in storm-specific thread.

If we see this trend in a favorable direction after the 0z cycle tonight, then let's start the thread. No reason not to start one. It's not like there's a limit on threads or anything. I mean, you don't want to start one for every non-event that comes along or the board would be filled with chaos. But if there are going to be pages of discussion of a potential event, then there's no reason not to start a thread. If it dies, it'll fall to the bottom of the page anyway. Not sure where all of the aversion to starting threads comes from. Wilkes is gone.

An unhealthy fear of superstitions. :) Seriously, the storm will do what the storm will do regardless of where we discuss it.

Please start a thread so people can know what you all are discussing as this has nothing to do with the pattern thread. It doesn't matter what you do, a storm or a piece of energy isn't going to know you started a thread. Even if it doesn't snow for yall, it is going to be a significant rain event for some areas.

Archived