joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

metalicwx366

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some have said that but ya the solution is to extreme but I could see us having a monster cold outbreak though with this system. The Euro has been very consistent with this the last 48 hours.

Then bring it on!

Otherwise, seasoned live oak firewood for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mapsnow:

:shiver:

I know Raleigh is up near the arctic so you guys are used to the cold, but here in the south there's no way any schools or colleges would be open if it were -9 degrees.

I was at NC State at the time and they had never closed due to weather.  Coincidentally, I was still there when they did close for the first time due to the great sleet storm of 1987 (4" of sleet).  During the -9 F night, myself and some friends went down to gawk at people camping out for basketball tickets for a game against Duke.  Later that evening the Chancellor became concerned they would die and let the camp inside Reynolds Coliseum.

I believe it was 1994 we were working on a job when highs were 11-18 degrees that week with blue skies, sunshine and no snow on ground or in sight

I've seen a high of 1F on a bright sunny day with no snow cover! So can it happen YES will it this time I doubt it but that's JMO. Enjoy the rain then highs in the teens and lows 0-10 above!!!! :whistle:

I have lived in upstate sc for 37 years and the coldest I have seen it here was the christmas of 1983. It was fairly mild leading up to christmas, that morning the front went through with temps in the upper 30's and before dark it was below 10. Lake hartwell had steam rising from the lake about 10 feet into the air during the day, that night the temp got down to -5 on my thermometer and the windchill was ridiculous for around here. Got down to -5 again in 1985 but, the temps did not crash as quickly like they did in 1983.

Where are all of the southern VA posters at? Here or in the Mid Atlantic?

Both.

However, for your location, I'd definitely say you'd get more use posting in here.  The Mid-Atlantic forum is very DC-centric, for the most part.  We have a few posters from Boone, Mt. Airy, etc., none of which you are far from at all.

not trying to start any controversy but can anyone explain   the logic over the last 3 DAYS here.......3 days ago there was great anticipation based on the models, yesterday there was gnashing of teeth and declaration winter is OVER, and today the anticipation is back again based on the models.

how is it logical one day to say the models are correct NOW, then 3 hours later to call them garbage based on ONE run.

Those people in NC are known crazies, lol.  Just roll with it..and enjoy the show :)  T

I told Larry that the thing that saved Atl in the 73 ice storm was there was no big outbreak behind it.  Had the city been that crippled, and then have something like the temps that came with the Blizzard, it would have been an epic disaster.  As it was people in cul de sac's and high rise apt. were in a very, very bad way, and Atl. has only grown since then.  And they aren't prepared for a two or three factor weather hit.  No chainsaws, too many hills, no way to resupply most stores.  There were some horror stories, with impassable streets and no power.  There weren't even a million people there then, now you triple the disaster.  And it's odd to me no one talks about what happens in Atlanta when the streets are impassible, the power is down for weeks, and you've got over 2 million to deal with.  During the begining of SnoJam the downtown interstates got clogged up with traffic that couldn't move in the instant ice and snow, and folks left their cars in the middle of the interstates and walked out.  No traffic could move on Eisenhour's arteries, from a few inches of snow.  Imagine telephone poles and trees down in all the streets, everywhere, no chainsaws, and no power, and -3 for a week, and 3 to 5 inches of ice over it all.  It'll happen one day, and no one is ready.  The Blizzard was a very near miss.  Had the heavy snow been from Macon north.... a whole different ball game. And it was March so no sustained cold.  There have been some very near misses from a major swat.  People in the south are too complacent...because the weather is so mild, lol.  T

Obligatory image reply:

eXQWM1J.jpg

But seriously you bring up some very valid concerns.  Not to mention the potential wood pecker invasion...

Huge batch of virga extending from Waycross to Corpus Christi Texas. The only model that showed that was the HIReS NAM simulated reflectivity.

That virga has been getting things wet here, from time to time.  I haven't seen the sun since maybe Fri.  All the moisture so close by, and cold too.  Soon the two will meet  and make sweet phase love over Tonytown...maybe even a flurry for you!  It's coming...be there or be square :)  T

I am almost positive his outlook had cold centered over the Oh Valley, down through the TN valley, and he had 130% of normal snowfall for all of TN and much of NC. Anyone have the maps he put out?

yeah the 4 below was the jan temp departure centered in the midwest including the Tennessee valley and southern apps. The 130% snowfall was for the whole winter and includes Tennessee to the apps. It also had the rest of the state on North Carolina at 100%.

Do you think the euro flipped on the cold this run because of the difference in snow pack? People were talking about how the euro has a bias for dealing with melting and 2m temps and since the snow pack is dramatically less on this run it could be a player?

The biggest reason on a broader scale is that the PV doesn't drop as far south...the heights in the SE don't collapse near as much on this particular run, but the same high latitude evolution is there.

It has been an adjustment living here in Columbia, SC.  To me, Columbia's climate is more similar to Jacksonville, FL than even the upstate of SC only 80 miles away.  I used to think it was the Appalachians that blocked the cold air from this area, but when Greenville and Charlotte are consistantly 5-10 degrees cooler, there is some other type of geographic phenomenon going on.

Columbia is in another galaxy compared to even Charlotte and Atlanta when it comes to heat.

Archived