joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

metalicwx366

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not trying to start any controversy but can anyone explain   the logic over the last 3 DAYS here.......3 days ago there was great anticipation based on the models, yesterday there was gnashing of teeth and declaration winter is OVER, and today the anticipation is back again based on the models.

how is it logical one day to say the models are correct NOW, then 3 hours later to call them garbage based on ONE run.

I would say that's accurate...

I was thinking about how severe something like the 12z Euro would be for a lot of people. I would say 2/3rds of the people in this part of the world heat their homes with a Heat Pump or some sort of electrical unit. I would bet temps zero or below, people with a heat pump would be pretty much S.O.L. I know at my house our heating system has to work a little harder once you get into the teens for an extended period of time.

All heat pump systems that I know of have resistance coil heaters that kick in when the temp is too cold for the heat pump alone.  The result is, you will stay warm and your electric bill will make you even hotter.

All heat pump systems that I know of have resistance coil heaters that kick in when the temp is too cold for the heat pump alone.  The result is, you will stay warm and your electric bill will make you even hotter.

We want have to worry about that kind of cold anyway, unless we have a foot of snow on the ground with a Deeping lp riding up the coast to drag down the PV. 

they also set your smoke detectors off at three am every time.

Seems like every time the heating coils are activated on our unit, they short out after about 2 days.

Only reason I brought this up is because we used to have a wood stove that was functional about 10 years ago. However the chimney burnt itself out and the fan that helps to distribute the heat no longer works. That plus you can no longer afford to buy oil heat so our folks had a pump installed. IMO it's not even close to being the same kind of heat.

lol   Sorry to disappoint, but no.

I am sure there were some in 1985 that may have had some water in their gas tanks; so yes I am sure some people had trouble. 

That said; there is absolutely zero chance the models verify; the cold simply will not be anywhere close to all time record lows.

I am sure there were some in 1985 that may have had some water in their gas tanks; so yes I am sure some people had trouble. 

That said; there is absolutely zero chance the models verify; the cold simply will not be anywhere close to all time record lows.

Ya not sure if it was the gas or the oil but I can remember that my family telling me that you did not shut your engine off during that extreme cold outbreak in 1985. Also was thinking that during that time there was not a whole lot of snow in the ground either and it did not snow that much during that time.  I could be wrong though.

Ya not sure if it was the gas or the oil but I can remember that my family telling me that you did not shut your engine off during that extreme cold outbreak in 1985. Also was thinking that during that time there was not a whole lot of snow in the ground either and it did not snow that much during that time.  I could be wrong though.

I was in Raleigh in 1985 and there was a little snow on the ground; low of -9 F at RDU.  I would guess less than an inch; no idea what it was like in the mountains other than extremely cold.  Believe it or not I rode my bicycle to class that morning and crashed on some ice. 

I was in Raleigh in 1985 and there was a little snow on the ground; low of -9 F at RDU.  I would guess less than an inch; no idea what it was like in the mountains other than extremely cold.  Believe it or not I rode my bicycle to class that morning and crashed on some ice. 

Wow bet that hurt. Also that low in RDU just wow some amazing cold during that stretch.

I was in high school at the time living down east, It was brown ground but the ponds, lakes, creeks everything froze solid, even both of the sounds.

Archived