joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I remember about these types of setups is snow or sleet changing to freezing rain. Then it ususlly took longer than advertised to change over to rain. Things will change a few more times on the models most likely but that 1040 HP system might be a little more resistant to moving out than what is currently modeled.

looks like starting with today we will have 5 consecutive plus departure days which is something we haven't seen since mid October. I think after that is somewhat up in the air, but I wouldn't characterize this as a brief warm up

I am talking about pattern, big picture, not 5 days out of the next 30 and the preceeding 30.  This is a brief warm up in an overall colder than average pattern which I started talking about around November 10th, which has proven to be true, and which I beleive will continue to be true.

GFS last night was showing a pretty robust 50-50...that has pretty much completely disappeared..add in the stronger GL low and hence the solution

I think that low is still the one hope for holding the cold air in a little longer even if the low goes into the lakes region.  Keep the high from slipping quite as quickly and the damming will hold on a little longer. 

Even looking at the doom and gloom 18z GFS, there still appeared to be about a six hour window where both the 850mb and surface were below freezing. It looked like from the WxBell maps that .3" of QPF fell during that time in Nortern Virginia and points west.

Maybe I am grasping for straws, but it seems all hope is not lost; at least for another 40 minutes or so...

I am talking about pattern, big picture, not 5 days out of the next 30 and the preceeding 30.  This is a brief warm up in an overall colder than average pattern which I started talking about around November 10th, which has proven to be true, and which I beleive will continue to be true.

Gotcha..makes sense.....We will have to see if it comes to fruition this week but when you have a couple +15's they aren't as easily erased as the +2's like we had today...There is definitely some support for your idea since so much cold has built up...that we will be cold longer than the pattern "supports" it.  At some point you need a pattern change or the residual cold air masses become more stale.....I am torn over what will happen temp wise...my thought was that we go warm for a week starting around the 15th and then cold again around Christmas...But I am not sure...You've had a very good call so far. 

I agree Matt. It's super tricky this month for sure. Pretty big dump and plenty of - departures will likely offset the early warmth. My wag would be dead even mid month on departures.

We all got fooled in Nov with the lr ens showing warmth. Is it a repeat? I'm kinda sold on a modest warm stretch at the very least coming up in 2 weeks or so but man, who knows? It's a fun year.

Looks like GFS backed off its 18z super wet rain QPF for Friday into Saturday... shoved the QPF max north into S PA.  On 00z, DCA is around 0.7 QPF.  18z was 2.5 times that (comparing 24 hr QPF totals of 108 on 18z and 102 on 00z)

1038 H in WI at 126... hoping the 850 line gets further south than C VA

Looks like GFS backed off its 18z super wet rain QPF for Friday into Saturday... shoved the QPF max north into S PA.  On 00z, DCA is around 0.7 QPF.  18z was 2.5 times that (comparing 24 hr QPF totals of 108 on 18z and 102 on 00z)

1038 H in W WI at 117

I have got to be honest, I'm pretty good at forecasting model runs judging by earlier frames. 123 makes it look like this run is going to be (a.) further west with the low as the digging looks to curl the low out west and (b.) the overall scheme of things looks warmer than 18z which was already a tough run for the city folk. 

I have got to be honest, I'm pretty good at forecasting model runs judging by earlier frames. 123 makes it look like this run is going to be (a.) further west with the low as the digging looks to curl the low out west and (b.) the overall scheme of things looks warmer than 18z which was already a tough run for the city folk. 

Faster on the precipt, slower and not as cold. 

Already not particularly fond of the Euro thru 120hrs. The SE ridge is located a bit further west and digging in behind the southern system is once again stronger. The orientation of the maps makes it likely this run is again warmer and drives the low right into MI. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe and hopefully I'll be wrong

Archived