12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ens still showing a warmer pattern for the entire conus d12-15. Might be some low level cold around but 850's are above freezing for the southern 2/3rds of the country. No torch or anything but nothing exciting.

Looks like an east based -nao develops but with the -pna and low heights in the goa the effects won't be felt until the flow amplifies. Coldest temp anomalies in north america appear to be confined in the western half of canada.

Euro ens still showing a warmer pattern for the entire conus d12-15. Might be some low level cold around but 850's are above freezing for the southern 2/3rds of the country. No torch or anything but nothing exciting.

Looks like an east based -nao develops but with the -pna and low heights in the goa the effects won't be felt until the flow amplifies. Coldest temp anomalies in north america appear to be confined in the western half of canada.

they jump around every 12 hrs; I never feel safe when they're in our favor and never lose hope if they are against us

CWG going with the "ground still warm" fallacy in their otherwise excellent discussion.

It's not really a fallacy especially for freezing rain. One of those issues both sides are obstinate about.

they jump around every 12 hrs; I never feel safe when they're in our favor and never lose hope if they are against us

They aren't jumping around right now though. At least 3 straight days of the same overall look. The main difference with the gfs is it looks more transient. The epo ridge migrates eastward during the period while the euro holds it firmly in a less favorable spot.

It's not really a fallacy especially for freezing rain. One of those issues both sides are obstinate about.

Yeah the ground can affect ZR...though the biggest impact of ZR is on the trees/railings/powerlines/etc. All of which are not affected by warm temps prior to the event. The roads can be spared though as a potential large impact problem.

Yeah the ground can affect ZR...though the biggest impact of ZR is on the trees/railings/powerlines/etc. All of which are not affected by warm temps prior to the event. The roads can be spared though as a potential large impact problem.

I'm talking as far as snowfall.   Clearly ZR is gonna be affected because it's a precip that needs to uh..freeze on contact.    A met here posted research about the whole "warm ground affecting accumulations" bit. 

It's not a fallacy for lighter snowfall rates either. 

I'm not sure it needed a major highlight at this point but probably better to downplay as much as possible given the past few winters and the readership tending to think we overtalked most of the events given the paltry results. 

I'm talking as far as snowfall.   Clearly ZR is gonna be affected because it's a precip that needs to uh..freeze on contact.    A met here posted research about the whole "warm ground affecting accumulations" bit. 

Yeah, but it still matters. Again.. people are too black and white on the issue depending on where they fall.  It may not be the most important aspect of many storms but I've seen plenty of 32 degree temps with light snow that doesn't do much because the ground is still warm.  

Man my ideas of mostly cold are really panning out. After yet another brief mild up we get really cold in wake of departing Sunday storm.

Will wait on the Sunday event until about Thursday to comment as by then the synoptics begin to take place versus the models "cover all bases" approach.

looks like starting with today we will have 5 consecutive plus departure days which is something we haven't seen since mid October. I think after that is somewhat up in the air, but I wouldn't characterize this as a brief warm up

Archived