• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

There has been a definitive shift in ens guidance over the last day or so. It looks like a shift towards a -nao is slowly becoming likely. It's not an optimal -nao look at all but it's there nonetheless.

Both the gefs and euro ens have backed off on the idea of digging low heights into the goa and off the west coast with a flat zonal look across the conus. Ens are trending towards potential for the ridging near GL to assist in a more amplified pattern across the conus. It looks progressive to me but a period of ridges and troughs may become more likely than having the pac jet scream across the country.

We had a big warm signal in early november but the whole landscape changed because of the epo. Now it looks like the recent warm signal may change because of a more favorable state of the ao/nao. Warmth after this week is looking more and more scarce attm. It is definitely not some sort of perfect cold/stormy pattern. Even with a -nao it looks east based to start and with an overall -pna we are still fighting a nw storm track. I just don't want to torch. I can deal with everything else.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is pattern thread. I personally prefer no banter and just maps and disco. More for longer range stuff. I guess we're figuring it out. There's a banter and an obs disco thread. I think the intent is to move threat talk to obs disco once we're inside of 5-6 days. Makse sense because if the threat is viable there will be heavy posting and longer range stuff will get lost in the shuffle.

Pattern thread needs to be free of bull****. I come here for analysis. I post my stuff or obs in appropriate threads.

Kind of a stupid question, but does it matter how much QPF we get with the first system?  Or does that not really matter and what matters more is how far south the front gets?

There are no stupid questions only stupid posters. 

I am going to pretend that the sneaky midlayer warmth is fine at 120 and 123 and that is snow... cause it is a snow sounding if its heavy enough

What layer are you seeing warmth?  850-750 looks quite near freezing, but probably below even for DC at those times from what I see.  

Yes that is the layer I am watching... it sits near 0 for the entire time

BTW, 28/29 at 10am with snow?  Nice

Yeah, it's close.  Verbatim, this is probably the best GFS run in a day and a half or so I'd say.  A couple inches of snow, some mixing with sleet and then all washed away in a couple hours.  

at 120 hrs, at least for BWI, I think maybe some snow but mainly sleet before turning to rain

We're all probably debating this at too fine a level of detail (what else is new?), but I think BWI and DCA are both probably snow at 18z on Sunday at least.  Sort of shows what an earlier GFS run showed that Matt posted the temps for.  Temps actually cool slightly aloft (maybe a wet bulb effect?) after precip onset before everything warms up later in the day.  

We're all probably debating this at too fine a level of detail (what else is new?), but I think BWI and DCA are both probably snow at 18z on Sunday at least.  Sort of shows what an earlier GFS run showed that Matt posted the temps for.  Temps actually cool slightly aloft (maybe a wet bulb effect?) after precip onset before everything warms up later in the day.  

I thought debating soundings at 120hrs+ was obligatory around here

the one thing I find encouraging is that the GFS has seemingly stopped (for now?) diminishing our chances of wintry precip to start

Archived