Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Moore, OK Tornado 5/20/2013

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suburbs and sprawling...only going to happen more often.

Yup. Makes the talk about low deaths this past 12 mo kinda foolish. Huge advances in the science but totally a lack of tornadoes in cities. Wonder if it gives people a false sense of security.

The biggest problem I have seen is if the tornado is not visable to the person, they don't take shelter even if the warning is for a large violent tornado kind of like I will only take shelter if I see the tornado which in that case is last minute prep which can lead to deadly consequences.

So in breif use common sense and if you have a shelter please go to your shelter as soon as the warning is issued

The biggest problem in this one was that sheltering above ground in a closet or bathroom, which is standard advice, in many cases wasn't good enough.  

Yup. Makes the talk about low deaths this past 12 mo kinda foolish. Huge advances in the science but totally a lack of tornadoes in cities. Wonder if it gives people a false sense of security.

Honestly, I kind of suspected the early timing (~3pm) would help out, since Moore is pretty much the definition of a bedroom community. I have to think it would have been even worse at 7pm, all else being equal.

That's just incredible for a city as tornado-hardened as Moore. Why weren't people in cellars/tornado shelters? People don't have those there?

When all you see is slabs, there's no basements.... People were out and about working(time of day), kids leaving /still at school, rush hour starting..... We can ask/answer these later....

That's just incredible for a city as tornado-hardened as Moore. Why weren't people in cellars/tornado shelters? People don't have those there?

This isn't about not having shelters, there's tons of in that area, it's simple as this. Some tornadoes are so strong, they're not survivable. This was one of those rare times.

Formed over pretty empty area.as well. Didn't really get going until Moore...

Jim Cantore was in the area it first touched down near newcastle earlier and he was surprised to see trees debarked even that early in its life. It seems like this was a beast from the second it hit the ground.

Well, the more people you have in a country, the greater chance for a natural disaster to strike.  

This isn't about not having shelters, there's tons of in that area, it's simple as this. Some tornadoes are so strong, they're not survivable. This was one of those rare times.

I doubt anyone died inside an actual tornado shelter though, most of those are built to survive an EF5...but the typical "go inside a sturdy structure toward the interior" advice was not going to guarantee safety in a storm this strong.

yep, exactly. Unless you are underground or in some kind of hardened shelter... a bedroom closet or bathroom tub isn't going to save you. For many, a hardened shelter or basement is too expensive for the 'risk' of being in a strong tornado, which are relatively 'rare'.

Based on the tornado warning issuance at 240pm CT and radar that shows the circulation entering the city limits of Moore shortly after 310pm... that's 30+ mins of lead time.

Yet some people on tv said they didn't know it was coming or had no warning. OUN has stated for days that tornadoes were possible so you have to either be stupid and/or disregard forecasts/news info telling the potential is there and then even more so the layers that you can readily have access to when it's underway.

Good Lord, that's one of the most incredible close up tornado videos I've ever seen. That guy has some serious guts and probably not much of a brain too haha. Is this in Moore? If so that's the first video I've seen of this tornado. Something tells me we'll be soon seeing a lot more videos of it too as time goes on.

That roar. Even with the windows up you could still hear it plain as day.

yep, exactly. Unless you are underground or in some kind of hardened shelter... a bedroom closet or bathroom tub isn't going to save you. For many, a hardened shelter or basement is too expensive for the 'risk' of being in a strong tornado, which are relatively 'rare'.

You're right JoMo. There's only so much that can be done in a tornado as destructive as this, even underground. I know I heard earlier from an interview that even in an underground shelter, 3 guys had to hold the door shut.

He was trying to reach his child...

I don't know, it's still pretty stupid. Getting that close could easily result in the child no longer having a father. I'm not a parent though, so I can't speak for what would be going through my mind.

Archived