• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moore, OK Tornado 5/20/2013

I don't know, it's still pretty stupid. Getting that close could easily result in the child no longer having a father. I'm not a parent though, so I can't speak for what would be going through my mind.

You truly can't. When my girls came into the world my outlook on many things changed. I probably would be thinking the same thing.

----

Seeing reports that these kids in the school have drowned in the basement they sheltered in? Thats just completely heart wrenching.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live a bit south of Topeka in Auburn that's very rural and am pretty convinced after this tornado that I would not stay in my home if the warning got out in a decent amount of time to prepare and it was going to strike us. I would most certainly grab my dogs/fiancee and book it.

I live a bit south of Topeka in Auburn that's very rural and am pretty convinced after this tornado that I would not stay in my home if the warning got out in a decent amount of time to prepare and it was going to strike us. I would most certainly grab my dogs/fiancee and book it.

That's a horrible idea. The roads were all jammed up because of the chaos going on, which almost certainly added to the death toll. You also can't outrun a tornado like that.

That's a horrible idea. The roads were all jammed up because of the chaos going on, which almost certainly added to the death toll. You also can't outrun a tornado like that.

Emphasis on rural, lots of dirt roads and places to make 90 degree turns. If it was an urban environment, I'd say no way.

It's a tough call to make. If you know the conditions are good for an EF4+ and this looks like one of those, it may not be the worst idea...

If you know the tornado is probably an EF4 or EF5 type strength and you see it coming right for you....I'd try and outrun it or avoid it if I didn't have a tornado shelter. Better chance for survival than hunkering down in just your home.

If you know the tornado is probably an EF4 or EF5 type strength and you see it coming right for you....I'd try and outrun it or avoid it if I didn't have a tornado shelter. Better chance for survival than hunkering down in just your home.

Agreed, probably doable in a rural area and with good navigation skills.

Honestly, if you don't have a basement, and are told you have to be below ground to survive, like was the case today, are you supposed to just sit there and die? Sorry, if it's coming directly at me, I'm taking my chances and running.

Thats always been my plan, the only problem is all the roads lead to the S and W, however flat cornfields give plenty of visibility, and depending on conditions, makeshift roads. 

Emphasis on rural, lots of dirt roads and places to make 90 degree turns. If it was an urban environment, I'd say no way.

Yes, many escaped the Picher, OK tornado in cars because it was a relatively rural area, with good visibility (flat land) so you could see the tornado.

Honestly, if you don't have a basement, and are told you have to be below ground to survive, like was the case today, are you supposed to just sit there and die? Sorry, if it's coming directly at me, I'm taking my chances and running.

It's sort of a tragedy of the commons situation (or prisoner's dilemma-type thing, or whatever).. It works if only you and a few other people try to flee. If EVERYONE tries to flee then everyone is stuck on the road and everyone is worse off. 

That said if I was in Moore today I probably would have tried to flee. 

7 children drowned in the basement of one of the schools

That was a problem at Joplin High School. It had a basement but it was built on a flood plain so the basement flooded. Luckily when it was hit, school wasn't in session. 

Guys, lets keep the " what we'd do if we were faced with an ef-5 talk" somewhere else... Lets focus on the actual event. We'll have plenty of time to fillthis thread up with banter after the event is over.

Thats always been my plan, the only problem is all the roads lead to the S and W, however flat cornfields give plenty of visibility, and depending on conditions, makeshift roads. 

Yeah - I'd have to run South. I'd have a hard time getting north due to a river with limited crossings.

Archived