amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 25th Storm: Debacle or Climo Defier? Discussion and Obs II

stormtracker

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i measured a few different spots where i'm at and it was right at 2" and i had to pick some good spots for that.  the benches had about 1.5".  it was kind of annoying because i really wanted to easily break that 2" barrier.   i think i found one spot that was like 2.2".  would have been nice to have one more heavy band come through, but it is what it is.  i'll take it.

not sure, i'll ask. assuming it was later as his pics look to be after sunrise. someone on twitter told me they measured 1.5" in navy yard.

Obviously public measurements will run the gamut in a storm like this with its timing as well, but if DCA's measurment is a 6hr max, then the measurement is a joke....if someone stuck a ruler into the snowboard at 8am and that is the official measurement then I believe it....as soon as the precip started to lighten up and it got light out melting and compaction was rapid....when I left the house at 8:10, my table was a drippy, melty mess already and the streets and sidewalks were practically clear....I lost about 0.25 to 0.5" between 6am and 8am....even though it was still snowing lightly...So I guess we need to know how DCA measures...

snow is often pretty variable over short distances. plus most people seemingly have no clue how to measure snow. strange how something so easy is so f'ed up all the time.

nobody should be measuring in the grass obviously.....hard to believe people report those totals...I measured 2.5" on a cartop at 6am and 2.5 on a metal patio table and I think those totals might be inflated so I went with 2.25"....other surfaces like even brick were around 2"....on the grass was almost 4".lol

i measured a few different spots where i'm at and it was right at 2" and i had to pick some good spots for that.  the benches had about 1.5".  it was kind of annoying because i really wanted to easily break that 2" barrier.   i think i found one spot that was like 2.2".  would have been nice to have one more heavy band come through, but it is what it is.  i'll take it.

what time?

I measured T in mcpherson square at 8:45am....maybe I should report that

Were you the reported measurement?...when I left for work at 8:15 the snow had turned to partial melty slush....I understand the public isnt going to be up all night, but what excuse does DCA have not to take a max measurment during the 6z to 12z period?

The excuse is that they do not want to go out in the snow and measure it. I may have to Finally blow the lid off All of this. See how I feel later, would bring some heat down on me possibly.

what time?

I measured T in mcpherson square at 8:45am....maybe I should report that

it was like 630, towards the end of the last of the decent stuff.  maybe i missed out on 0.25".  i'm in downtown bethesda, i wouldn't have done that much better than dc.

The excuse is that they do not want to go out in the snow and measure it. I may have to Finally blow the lid off All of this. See how I feel later, would bring some heat down on me possibly.

well, don't do anything that will screw you over, but would love to hear it....I know there are others who have the details as well...

Were you the reported measurement?...when I left for work at 8:15 the snow had turned to partial melty slush....I understand the public isnt going to be up all night, but what excuse does DCA have not to take a max measurment during the 6z to 12z period?

No, I didn't report any measurements.  I only mentioned it here since there was discussion about DCA's measurement and I figured I had a data point that could be informative.  That is a good point regarding compaction after 7.  Since you measured 2 inches literally on the river, you're a better reference point than I am in regards to what DCA truly got versus what they reported.

nobody should be measuring in the grass obviously.....hard to believe people report those totals...I measured 2.5" on a cartop at 6am and 2.5 on a metal patio table and I think those totals might be inflated so I went with 2.25"....other surfaces like even brick were around 2"....on the grass was almost 4".lol

I had identical readings from my cartop, metal patio table, and "official" snow board.  I'm not certain you have to adjust your measurements just on that basis alone.

yeah by the time i measured around 745 it was clearly melting pretty well so im sure my measurement was probably lower than actual. unfortunately i think a lot of measurements are grass and inflated.. quite a number of measurements ppl posted associated with pics didn't seem to match today.

No, I didn't report any measurements.  I only mentioned it here since there was discussion about DCA's measurement and I figured I had a data point that could be informative.  That is a good point regarding compaction after 7.  Since you measured 2 inches literally on the river, you're a better reference point than I am in regards to what DCA truly got versus what they reported.

I don't consider myself an inflater....I do round sometimes to quarter-inches when in between since I dont think I am skilled enough to do tenths...so a 2.4 becomes 2.5....2.3 - 2.25 etc...in this case it was a legit 2.5" on tabletop and cartop....other surfaces varied....I went down to 2.25" which was consistent with other measurements close by...which were all around 2.0 - 2.5.....see below...the rose hill was confirmed by my friend as well...so we have me 2.25"...you 2.2, my friend close to me at 2.5....and the ones below

2 S LINCOLNIA          2.5   630 AM  3/25  TRAINED SPOTTER            ROSE HILL              2.5   630 AM  3/25  BROADCAST MEDIA  

1 SE OXON HILL         2.5   700 AM  3/25  CO-OP OBSERVER  

1 NNE HYBLA VALLEY     2.0   845 AM  3/25  TRAINED SPOTTER       

1 ENE ALEXANDRIA       2.2   830 AM  3/25  TRAINED SPOTTER         

well, don't do anything that will screw you over, but would love to hear it....I know there are others who have the details as well...

it it ever reliably snows again im going to go there and measure one day. of course the only time it snows lately seems to be when i have something i have to be at work at 9a for like today.

Radar is blossoming a bit...not sure if it'll come through as rain like earlier. Sigh.

Mos doesn't show much cooling till it ends. Not sure what we are looking for here other than some mood flakes etc.

Just passed 3.1" in Clarksburg. In these marginal events, you usually get around 25% more than me due to your elevation (and in this case, being east of me). Even though it will snow for a while yet, I'd guess we are done accumulating as it is now 31.9F and the quite bright so a fair amount of insolation is pushing through.

Thanks for the update. I'll figure somewhere around 4" . I'm if FLA so is missed the fun. This will have put MBY at about 18" for the season.

Archived