northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 25th Storm: Debacle or Climo Defier? Discussion and Obs II

stormtracker

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is way better than March 6 up here. I know that in the end , it's all about accumulations. However, I will say that this storm has had a good chunk of precip falling as snow in many places---certainly a win for the end of March.

MDstorm

By far the best storm of the winter up here, nothing even came close. What a great way to close out a sh***y winter.

if we stay there, a low max in the 30s is super super solid for 3/25...I'm pretty sure DCA does not have a single daily MAX in the 30s in April

looks like the coldest high this late at DCA is 38 on 3/26/1971

there are indeed no highs in the 30s in april at the current location

Sky has brightened quite a bit.  No accumulation for awhile, but been snowing steadily.  If it was Feb 25th (and the temp was below freezing), it would certainly still accumulate at this rate.  Measured just over 5" on my deck after I got home and that's after compaction and some melting.  I'd say 5.5" so far IMBY.  Temp now up to 36.2F.  Pretty awesome to get WSW criteria snow finally!  Even if I didn't have to shovel a bit...

How many 2"+ events at DCA 3/25 or later?

2 if you count 1990 but 1.9 of 2 fell on the 24th. 3/30/1964 the other. There might be a few others more than 1" but less than 2". This is the biggest since 1990 this late. Looks like eight pre DCA tho I only have a partial spreadsheet here at work.

Yes, my 8 inches in Columbia was in the grass. A more "official" measurement from an average of locations on the deck and driveway would be about 4.5"

that's a rather large difference

Light ... to at times moderate ... snow should continue into the evening hours, as the upper level low moves slowly Eastward. Despite the snow, accumulations have been tough to come by thanks to a combination of above freezing temperatures and the late March sun angle. However, as we move closer to sunset, the snow will accumulate easier (much like we saw yesterday evening) and we could see up to another inch I think in some places. Some slick spots could develop as well later this evening on roadways.

post-2030-0-37809800-1364234998_thumb.jp

2 if you count 1990 but 1.9 of 2 fell on the 24th. 3/30/1964 the other. There might be a few others more than 1" but less than 2". This is the biggest since 1990 this late. Looks like eight pre DCA tho I only have a partial spreadsheet here at work.

IAD in position to set two records today:

• Daily snowfall already smashed (3.2 last I saw). Old record is 1.2 (1990).
  • Lo max record is 38, set in 1974. Not done yet, but doable.

The March 26, 1947 maximum at DCA was 37. Also, the March 25th low maximum there is 40 in 1960, and I'm not sure today's DCA maximum will stay below that -- currently at 38.

ahh yeah i missed that one somehow. well it's there i just didn't see it. my guess is we'll nudge 40 at least.

Call for tonight: .5-1" as ULL passage occurs, best chance for accums Towson, MD to Dale City, VA if I had to guess. Parrs Ridge could also do well with a favorable wind vector.

Accumulations are possible thanks in part to what Tenman and Thunderman have mentioned, less radiation and sun difficulties. There will be no mid level torch, and even -SN to mdt SN will come in that form as the ULL will be efficient with a cold pool moving overhead. As mitchnick stated yesterday, someone looks to get a burst with a decent trailing h5 wave moving S of the area.

Archived