• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

From my very basic understanding, QPF is basically the liquid that falls out of the cloud -- that is, if you take whatever drops (be it rain, snow, or sleet) and melt it down, your QPF is the amount of liquid you end up with.  If you're looking for an estimate of snowfall from QPF, you need to adjust for rain-to-snow rates.

What does the acronym QPF stand for. And thank you for your explanation. :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok being the novice that I am what exactly does the term QPF mean? I am still learning as I go along and have seen this used here. Tried looking it up online but not sure what I am looking for. Thanks.

Quantitative precipitation forecast. As a fellow novice, when I'm up against a mystery acronym I find googling the acronym plus the word weather often leads me to the answer.

What does the acronym QPF stand for. And thank you for your explanation. :)

Ah, I guess that would have been useful for me to include, eh?  Quantitative precipitation forecast, I believe.

Edit:  Kay, you have fingers of lightning.  I yield to your superior response times.

He'll say the Euro held and then call everyone FOOKING STOOPID who says otherwise

Told ya.  

Nevermind that the GFS and Euro low positioning at 18z Wednesday is IDENTICAL and he said how far north the GFS was at that time (apparently 100 miles north of ORF).  

The thing about DT is that I would follow him all the time as he was outstanding at giving us central VA people false hope. After a year or so I realized that he would simply hug whatever model gave RIC the most snow and roll with it. I can think of at least 2 or 3 occasions where he had an epic bust because of that mentality.

Funny thing is, people always tend to qualify their criticism of DT with something along the lines of "don't get me wrong, I think DT is really smart..."

My response to that would be that in my 3 years of lurking around these forums, the analysis here is light years ahead of what I could find on his FB page.

DT fan

You are a big ass egotistical jackass who needs to grow the hell up! All you do is use this page posturing like an immature little kid! People USED to come to this page to get a different view of the weather, but any self respecting professional would not enter into these foolish games! You must be an insecure nerd or something, or those PEDs and Steroids you are on you must have OD'd on them or something! Forecast the weather and STFU with all of this stupid childishish banter!! PLEASE GROW THE HELL UP!!!! HAVE AT LEAST A LITTLE SELF RESPECT!!!! SMH...

Quantitative precipitation forecast. As a fellow novice, when I'm up against a mystery acronym I find googling the acronym plus the word weather often leads me to the answer.

Ah, I guess that would have been useful for me to include, eh?  Quantitative precipitation forecast, I believe.

Edit:  Kay, you have fingers of lightning.  I yield to your superior response times.

QPF is Met speak for Quantitative Precipitation Forecast.

NOAA puts out QPF forecasts on a regular basis.  You can see the latest here: http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml

Thank you all for being so helpful!

DT fan

You are a big ass egotistical jackass who needs to grow the hell up! All you do is use this page posturing like an immature little kid! People USED to come to this page to get a different view of the weather, but any self respecting professional would not enter into these foolish games! You must be an insecure nerd or something, or those PEDs and Steroids you are on you must have OD'd on them or something! Forecast the weather and STFU with all of this stupid childishish banter!! PLEASE GROW THE HELL UP!!!! HAVE AT LEAST A LITTLE SELF RESPECT!!!! SMH...

There are about 6 accounts created within the last 12 hours that are trolling him hard. I'm pretty sure all of those are accounted for on this board. The one you quoted is another shell account.

You in on it Jay?

The thing about DT is that I would follow him all the time as he was outstanding at giving us central VA people false hope. After a year or so I realized that he would simply hug whatever model gave RIC the most snow and roll with it. I can think of at least 2 or 3 occasions where he had an epic bust because of that mentality.

Funny thing is, people always tend to qualify their criticism of DT with something along the lines of "don't get me wrong, I think DT is really smart..."

My response to that would be that in my 3 years of lurking around these forums, the analysis here is light years ahead of what I could find on his FB page.

He is good at sniffing out future threats. However, he holds on to ideas WAY too long, and is an ***hole in doing so. It gets old fast.

Starting to feel good that forecast amounts in DC could still creep up even farther later tonight or tomorrow.  Anyone have any guesses on what LWX will forecast for city of DC/Arlington? Still, a very tough call with major bust potential in either direction but things trending good today.

Archived