Bob Chill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairfax County Government is using CWG's storm name "Snowquester"

Winter Storm Watch Issued Beginning Tuesday Evening, March 5 by fairfaxcounty
Significant Snow Possible for the Area

Posted at 11:44 a.m.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch starting Tuesday evening and lasting through Wednesday evening. A winter storm watch means there is apotential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel.

Accumulations of more than 5 inches are possible with the potential for significant snowfall somewhere within the watch area. (NWS graphical maps)

"Snowquester" is expected to bring up to 5 inches or more of snow to the region beginning Tuesday evening.

not sure, you'd have to check....its just an outdated model that hasn't had any community support since the early 2000s....

They still run it (as do a handful of others....).  The community WRF (ARW) is really just a follow-on/adaptation to MM5.   

While we're waiting for the Euro, our MU-WRF came in. FWIW, I personally find it does rather poorly in these dynamic situations.

How is it initialized?

Ok being the novice that I am what exactly does the term QPF mean? I am still learning as I go along and have seen this used here. Tried looking it up online but not sure what I am looking for. Thanks.

From my very basic understanding, QPF is basically the liquid that falls out of the cloud -- that is, if you take whatever drops (be it rain, snow, or sleet) and melt it down, your QPF is the amount of liquid you end up with.  If you're looking for an estimate of snowfall from QPF, you need to adjust for rain-to-snow rates.

Archived