Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

My thoughts were (and you certainly don't have to do this) was:

Snow and total liquid for RIC, DCA, IAD and BWI.  Jackpot snowfall in LWX area (total number, not location prediction).  Maybe CHO.  Maybe something with winds.  

Can I suggest adding and ROA or LYH-- our CWA is in this board as well and will test the DC crowd who Don't want this area to get hit. Plus, more P type issues in this area. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man sitting here inside the beltway it's really going to come down to a nowcast on temps and rates to figure out how much we are going to get. West of the city is looking a lot more certain to get big if not historic numbers, but I could see DCA turning in 2-3 inches of slopt while IAD turns in 15-16 inches. Keeping fingers crossed that temps coorperate inside the beltway.

Can I suggest adding and ROA or LYH-- our CWA is in this board as well and will test the DC crowd who Don't want this area to get hit. Plus, more P type issues in this area. 

I think that's totally fine. If I'm doing 5 cities, I don't want to mix snow totals with liquid. Too complicated to set up. My template is 5 columns right now and I don't feel like adding calcs and testing it.

This is what I'm thinking:

Snow departures for DCA-BWI-IAD-RIC-LYH

Tiebreaker will be jackpot total and jackpot total will also graded separately as a mini contest. 

Close the contest @ 8pm tonight before we get nam'd @ 0z. 

Any recommendations from anybody?

I think that's totally fine. If I'm doing 5 cities, I don't want to mix snow totals with liquid. Too complicated to set up. My template is 5 columns right now and I don't feel like adding calcs and testing it.

Tiebreaker will be jackpot total and jackpot total will also graded separately as a mini contest. 

I liked the liquid total too, but understand. I mean, DCA maybe be 4.5 from 1.25 liquid, that's all snow. :)

Is the tiebreaker jackpot snow or qpf? An interesting component to this is going to be qpf to snow accumulations. Maybe too complicated and not worthwhile.

Is the tiebreaker jackpot snow or qpf? An interesting component to this is going to be qpf to snow accumulations. Maybe too complicated and not worthwhile.

I could mix those 2 together for a 2 part tiebreaker / mini departure contest. That would be easy enough. I'll set the boundaries @ MD-DE-WV-VA. 

There have been over 50 at various times reading in the disco thread since about 6:00 am. At least the initial chatter has been diverted, I am fairly certain it is better than it would have been already.

We can reevaluate come model run time ;)

lol,  I'll probably still beat DCA as I live in the trees in a rural area.

I'm not sure why they didn't do the entire area.  To exclude only 2-3 counties out of the entire CWA seems a little odd to me when they can always downgrade to a WWA.  As far as beating DCA, I think that's a lock for just about everyone.  I could see DCA squeezing 3.7" of snow out of 1.4" of liquid and never report an ob with RA.  

Wegman's Fairfax was only moderately crowded early yesterday...now that WSW watches have been hoisted, expect deteriorating conditions throughout the day at all major grocery outlets.  

Even though its DC, really no need for anyone to be rushing off to do pre-storm shopping. Regardless of what falls, almost certain roads will be clear the next day. Only reason I could envision people would start a rush to the store is if there were suggestions in the media that mass power outages were possibe.

Going to pick up some things we are out of, eggs, milk, OJ. But that is about it. The girls were already making sledding plans when I told them of the watch this morning. Talked to the husband last night and as it will be a wet snow we are going to keep on top of it with shoveling and take turns. Will be glad for a garage this time, 09-10 storms we had to dig out two cars from parking spaces at out old townhome.

Archived