joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was the first time I've had it snow for 15 hours and actually steadily reduce the accumulations on the ground for about 10 of those hours.  

I measured 4 inches (of snow) at Noon yesterday....as it did much of the day, it snowed moderate to heavy for the next 2-3 hours....by 230, I measured a touch above 4.5 inches (again, snow).  Heaviest snow I've experienced without material accumulations.

What counties are you referring to? I think Prince William and Faquier were closed, but looking at the LWX snow reports there are a lot of reports of 10-11" in Faquier with one as high as 16", so I'm not surprised they were closed. I think there's a joke about Faquier since they always close no matter what, but based on the snow totals, I think you can justify this one. Unless you are talking about some other county/counties :)

A co-worker said that Prince WIlliam schools were closed - they made the call yesterday evening.  I had 4" at my house, and it's ridiculous because even the side streets of the side streets were completely clear by early afternoon.  And some of the folks on here who are out well west of here and who had upwards of 10" said that roads cleared up plenty early.

I also have an issue with the way schools close by the county around here.  I grew up in South Jersey, where school systems are truly local in that each town - or perhaps a couple small towns combined - has its own school district.  They can make their calls to close schools based on how the immediate area that the schools draw from is affected by any given storm.  The fact that kids in Dale City are off two days in a row when Gainesville may have had 8" of snow is a joke in my book (nevermind the fact that the snow in Gainesville would have all but disappeared from the roads by nightfall).

It has no effect on me, as I only have a newborn.  But the logic behind school closings in this area really rubs me the wrong way, and never ceases to amaze me, despite having lived in either DC or VA for nearly 15 years now.

A co-worker said that Prince WIlliam schools were closed - they made the call yesterday evening.  I had 4" at my house, and it's ridiculous because even the side streets of the side streets were completely clear by early afternoon.  And some of the folks on here who are out well west of here and who had upwards of 10" said that roads cleared up plenty early.

I also have an issue with the way schools close by the county around here.  I grew up in South Jersey, where school systems are truly local in that each town - or perhaps a couple small towns combined - has its own school district.  They can make their calls to close schools based on how the immediate area that the schools draw from is affected by any given storm.  The fact that kids in Dale City are off two days in a row when Gainesville may have had 8" of snow is a joke in my book (nevermind the fact that the snow in Gainesville would have all but disappeared from the roads by nightfall).

It has no effect on me, as I only have a newborn.  But the logic behind school closings in this area really rubs me the wrong way, and never ceases to amaze me, despite having lived in either DC or VA for nearly 15 years now.

Minnesota also.  We had to listen to the radio for our district number to be called, the areal extent of which was basically our 50k person town. 

Archived