Newest Member
    Monty
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it hasn't been real great on our area this year

if this ends up playing out as currently proged, I say the NAM wins for leading the way

prob more gfs leading but yes, the nam has gone against it's typical crazytalk beyond 48 hrs this time.

One thing we should all take away from this is that the gfs was simply steadfast for 24-48 hours. No burps or farts. Way way too many people were discounting that because the goldenchild euro didn't agree. If it was the other way around it wouldn't have been that way at all.

The gfs is the second best global in the world and all globals have their strengths. Euro does exceptional in nino's with stj's and -nao's. GFS has proven this year that it's a superior model with ns ull's. At least in our yards. I hope people can remember this but probably not.

Can one of the experts give a short summary of why accumulation predictions coming in seem to be more conservative than QPF totals would dictacte?  With Euro trending up to 1.20 for DCA and GFS in the 1.7 range (not to mention the over-juiced NAM at 2.00), even if the truth is in middle -- say, 1.5" of precip -- and even with crappy warm-temp ratios in the 7:1 range, we should still be talking about 10+ inches of snowfall.  But nobody is predicting that as an acculation total.

Are people not buying the upward QPF trend in the Euro and expecting a regress?  Are people worried about delayed transition to snow?  What factors are leading to those concerns?

Any info would be appreciated. 

How do the models actually report temps in the output?  

Are they using the value at the end of the time period or is it an average over the time period?  

Or something else all together?   

Temperature is calculated at every gridpoint at every timestep of the model.  So, how it is reported comes down to what each individual provider displays.  For example, Raleighwx's site has surface temps (and upper air for certain levels) at individual 6 hourly timesteps and then also max/min temps within a 6 hourly period.  

Can one of the experts give a short summary of why accumulation predictions coming in seem to be more conservative than QPF totals would dictacte? With Euro trending up to 1.20 for DCA and GFS in the 1.7 range (not to mention the over-juiced NAM at 2.00), even if the truth is in middle -- say, 1.5" of precip -- and even with crappy warm-temp ratios in the 7:1 range, we should still be talking about 10+ inches of snowfall. But nobody is predicting that as an acculation total.

Are people not buying the upward QPF trend in the Euro and expecting a regress? Are people worried about delayed transition to snow? What factors are leading to those concerns?

Any info would be appreciated.

snow maps use algorithms that include many variables. Surface temps are a biggie and the euro is above freezing by 2+ degrees for most. It's just a calc though. snow maps are best used for tool with extent vs amount. It's better to understand soundings and timing and make your own call. snowmaps are notoriously innaccurate with amounts.

Temperature is calculated at every gridpoint at every timestep of the model.  So, how it is reported comes down to what each individual provider displays.  For example, Raleighwx's site has surface temps (and upper air for certain levels) at individual 6 hourly timesteps and then also max/min temps within a 6 hourly period.  

Thanks for the info.  I figured as much re: the calculation, but rarely see anyone post a min/max in tabular output.   The extra info seems helpful in these marginal temp situations.

Thanks for the info.  I figured as much re: the calculation, but rarely see anyone post a min/max in tabular output.   The extra info seems helpful in these marginal temp situations.

For non-Euro models, the instantweathermaps.com site is great to see temps at multiple levels in a map projection.  

If I get 10"+ of snow IMBY, I'm going full-on Jebman and shovel my entire neighborhood out. Might need to get drunk first.

we're going to be so tired from days and days of tracking that we'll sleep through the main event. My pupils are already rectangles and every I look at is pixelated. 640 x 480 pizza still tastes good but nothing like a 1080p steak.

I'll help

Drink or shovel?

we're going to be so tired from days and days of tracking that we'll sleep through the main event. My pupils are already rectangles and every I look at is pixelated. 640 x 480 pizza still tastes good but nothing like a 1080p steak.

If you were a real disciple of Jebman, you'd track through the pain and LOVE it and ASK for MORE like it was the ONE thing you NEEDED in your puny LIFE to make yourself feel WORTHY of existence to experience the glory of dendrites COATING your body as you shovel POUNDS of beautiful white SNOW.  AHHHHHHHH.  

Shovel quickly.  The snow probably won't be around for very long.

Truth.  

Sad- "I do believe that additional downloads of my Kid Weather App will help ensure that snow day(s) for us. You will be supporting my son and I as well."

He came up to a local boy scout meeting in York county a few days ago (my gf's little brother) when they were learning about the weather. The parents hoped for a tutorial on the weather with a kid twist... what he actually did? He just plugged his app...

What's been NOT talked about -

Part of the " blend" has been the Ec moving a shade north and the GFS/NAM getting more pre change rain down in SW VA. It was not much before and now it's well over .75 in some area's before we sniff snow. We may see 4-6 in my hood but after an inch of rain. 

So, maybe the EC moved towards the GFS at the surface, the GFS is wetter down south. (O yeah, quote that one)

He came up to a local boy scout meeting in York county a few days ago (my gf's little brother) when they were learning about the weather. The parents hoped for a tutorial on the weather with a kid twist... what he actually did? He just plugged his app...

Please tell me that you guys still mock Eric for being a complete snow weenie.  That was one of our favorite past times from Millersville.  Of course it was all in good fun.

If I get 10"+ of snow IMBY, I'm going full-on Jebman and shovel my entire neighborhood out.  Might need to get drunk first.  

That seems to imply that to achieve full-on Jebman status needs to include being drunk-------From my readings, Jebman is not an imbiber, unless its imbibing enthusiasm for cold snowy weather.However, I think there's a chance he may be Rastafarian.

That seems to imply that to achieve full-on Jebman status needs to include being drunk-------From my readings, Jebman is not an imbiber, unless its imbibing enthusiasm for cold snowy weather.However, I think there's a chance he may be Rastafarian.

I don't think Jebman drinks...I just think I need to be drunk to be like Jebman.  

Archived