joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a good hit for this area verbatim. Ratios would definitely help us out and with 1.75-2" of QPF that's a solid 20-25" storm and maybe a little more for some spots if the NAM has its way.

The 700 mb deformation signal is very strong out this way, which should lead to a nice powder death band.

Not sure I buy the really early phase on this run that clobbers NJ with > 4" of QPF as I think it may be a bit overdone. I'm thinking something in between the NAM and GFS will be closer to reality. GFS may be a bit too progressive, NAM a bit too amped.

And what do you get? Save a horse ride the Euro

Thunder-snow will probably be most frequent around 06z (0100h Sat) in the BOS-ORH-PVD-HFD-ISP regions. The deformation zone will be similar and I am down for 30-40 inch snowfall totals in much of the region, feel that this storm has near-perfect dynamics to produce maximum possible totals. Mixing issues southeast of a BOS-PVD-Groton CT -ISP line otherwise 30 inches snow could extend to Cape and islands (8-15 inches for them, mostly after low passes benchmark).

What's the state (MA, CT, RI, NH, ME) record for storm snowfalls? Some of those could be threatened. Some measurements may of course become suspect due to drifting but would not be surprised if 30-35 inch NWS obs equate to 45-50 inch max co-op obs, not totally familiar with sweet spots there but would guess near Framingham? Or into higher parts of northeast CT.

Well the test of the 6 hr measurement will be interesting. 78 did not have that.

Well I can say I've been pleasantly surprised with the radar presentation and with current obs here in Roanoke. Moved about two years back from NW CT and I am rooting for you guys very jealous haha. Anyhow temp dropped from 40 at 7 down to 33 and it's currently moderate snow falling. Good luck everyone.

Archived