joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol all relative.. I mean "heaviest qpf" we all see heavy snow.. but the heaviest band on this nam is west of us.. lol we still get 30"+ but areas just west get 4-5" qpf lol just crazy.. im not complaining.. i love our spot.. 

I decided to stay in NW CT for this and not go back east.  I think we're good man, I'm excited to see your obs and how they stack up with mine over then next 40 hours

I toss that without more support. I mean nyc peeps your pretty warm too you should be rooting a little east

Tough though Jay if it's right or close to right, yikes.  High stakes.  Really tough forecast.

Lots of arguments have been made that it should be one of the better models in this situation.  It's done it before if I recall...wasn't it well left of guidance in one of the SW CT snow bombs a few years ago and was right?

It's tougher to see on the 3 hour maps, if you check out one of the hourly sites you can see it runs the low right on the eastern flank of the convection that fires.  IS that feedback or is that the non-hydro model doing what it should be doing?  

Anyway, good luck to the mets issuing forecasts for this one.  Yikes.

It's the NAM... so divide by 2. 

I know that's usually a great rule to follow but this might be a rare case where you really don't have to do that.  Sure you trim it back a little bit but I would think we see anywhere from 1.5-2'' of QPF, especially if the slower and more stalled solution verifies.  if we get close to 15:1 ratios (for an average) during the main part of this storm that would yield to widespread historic totals here.  

I just can't believe the NAM has upped QPF in some spots...perhaps convective feedback could be leading to it but typically we see the NAM back off at this stage and that isn't happening.  If the GFS/Euro are right around 2'' that will be quite significant.  

But IF the NAM is to have any use whatsoever, isnt it in this time frame?  If not now, when?

Its a good tool...esp when it has support from other mesos like the RGEM and SREF...but those models are a bit east which does lend some support to the notion that this is another over-amped NAM solution....we saw it at 12z, then it ticked back SE at 18z, now back NW at 00z....we'll see oscillations depending on how it is handling the convection...but you'd like to see some other mesos get on board to jump on the NAM train....so I'm not ready quite yet to go this amped.

I decided to stay in NW CT for this and not go back east.  I think we're good man, I'm excited to see your obs and how they stack up with mine over then next 40 hours

i will be in seymour til it starts to get bad.. then i have to go to the news station in norwalk for live coverage.. i will be back sometime saturday.. so i will count on you and grinch for obs in western ct..

i have no problem with the nam imby. still manages to drop 2-3"

Your area is in a spot where it really doesn't matter what this low does...you are going to get near the max almost every time because you are close to the 900mb nuclear forcing. If somehow it went well SE, then you'd get the 700mb deformation.

Its a good tool...esp when it has support from other mesos like the RGEM and SREF...but those models are a bit east which does lend some support to the notion that this is another over-amped NAM solution....we saw it at 12z, then it ticked back SE at 18z, now back NW at 00z....we'll see oscillations depending on how it is handling the convection...but you'd like to see some other mesos get on board to jump on the NAM train....so I'm not ready quite yet to go this amped.

I hate the way it's deepening the mid levels faster now......"only" 2" up this way....shades of Boxing day

Will....what other models will you look to over the next few hours for "confirmation" of the NAM?   I'm just curious.

The 1 hour plotted track of the NAM is interesting for sure.  Clearly it's tracking convection off the coast for several hours.  Is that right who knows...but just based on what everyone has been saying about the benefits of the non-hydrostatic models and it's persistence it does make me wonder.

I do recall it doing this during the snow bombs of a few years ago and being right...IE tucking further left than consensus.

More in relation to NJ and DE/NYC just out of interest.   What a tough forecast for them.

Archived