• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

Look at the winds at H5 and there is the reason for a death band near NYC. Winds are converging..AKA frontogenesis. Now where does that set up for real?

No doubt. With the stall and that frontogenesis there is going to be a death band. 3 feet is possible under said band I think. 

One old-school kind of rule of thumb I like to use for finding strongest frontogenesis on the NW flanks of the 850/700 lows is that the faster the lows are deepening the stronger the banding/frontogenesis. In Boxing Day we had those lows close off and mature so early even though we had a good "track" the storm started sucking northeast of NYC. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt. With the stall and that frontogenesis there is going to be a death band. 3 feet is possible under said band I think. 

One old-school kind of rule of thumb I like to use for finding strongest frontogenesis on the NW flanks of the 850/700 lows is that the faster the lows are deepening the stronger the banding/frontogenesis. In Boxing Day we had those lows close off and mature so early even though we had a good "track" the storm started sucking northeast of NYC. 

Yeah agree. There are two bands I think along with a good CCB. Low level fronto from like 950-850 that smoked ern/SE MA esp and mid level stuff near you and west. It all depends on where the lows go. GFS actually brought the mid level stuff here..lol.

Boy we sure would have one heck of a storm coming with all that moisture coming up from the Southeast.........even without the energy from the Midwest!!!

Scary to think that this image (while sexy) is only a 6 compared to what it will look like in the future.

latest.jpg

that has the look of a Miller A more than hybrid A/B

any NAM init issues? the 9" qpf over NJ is hard to accept...

18z was similar but not to this extent... is this skewed left chasing convection, or is this a real trend?

Yeah agree. There are two bands I think along with a good CCB. Low level fronto from like 950-850 that smoked ern/SE MA esp and mid level stuff near you and west. It all depends on where the lows go. GFS actually brought the mid level stuff here..lol.

Yup.  It may wind up looking like one giant fire hose too. 

I'm actually thinking it could too. Not every storm has a two QPF max...IE 4/1/97. That had a firehose.

Almost like a giant slope of frontogenesis from the crazy forcing at the top of the BL near SE Mass and a sloped frontal zone across the rest of the region all under a beautiful (and stalled) coupled jet streak. 

Basically 2.5 bos/pvd and 3.0 NYC. You'd think it was giving flurries you idiots.

LOL

Still a good hit for this area verbatim. Ratios would definitely help us out and with 1.75-2" of QPF that's a solid 20-25" storm and maybe a little more for some spots if the NAM has its way.

The 700 mb deformation signal is very strong out this way, which should lead to a nice powder death band.

Not sure I buy the really early phase on this run that clobbers NJ with > 4" of QPF as I think it may be a bit overdone. I'm thinking something in between the NAM and GFS will be closer to reality. GFS may be a bit too progressive, NAM a bit too amped.

I don't know the science to say, but looking at this radar and the movement of the northern/southern pieces, I can easily see it as they currently sit.  The science might say 'not so fast', and to be sure we're not talking huge distances of difference when it comes right down to it.  But, I can certainly see this holding pretty tight to the coast.  It will be nice if we can get some latitude boost to help our brethren in Maine/VT/NH.

post-462-0-86703100-1360292396_thumb.gif

Archived