EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's a huge difference between what the GFS does and what something like the EURO/GGEM is doing. forget the precip amounts even. it's the vertically stacked system/capture and pivot of the mid-level centers that makes this event potentially historic. the gfs is still a good storm but it's high end potential, regardless of the qpf amounts, is way less.  

Ok, so let's say the GFS solution came to fruition, wouldn't the "epic deform band" that everyone has progged to hit the berkshires based on the NAM/Euro simply shift east into the Boston Metro? Isn't it just as good a solution, simply a different way of achieving it? Am I missing something?

Yeah, and the Cape would end up getting what Worcester was.  Seems fine to me.  

Bottom line I don't think it's made that big of a shift from itself in terms of QPF.  Surface track...well that's going to wobble with the convection etc.  Not that worried about it.

GFS/RGEM are both good.  the question to me is...I look at the RGEM and GFS and wonder about how far west all the heavy heavy stuff gets

UKMET is fine too.  It's not throwing epic totals way west...but it's not terrible.

post-3232-0-52811800-1360295369_thumb.gi

post-3232-0-88624000-1360295375_thumb.gi

post-3232-0-21021900-1360295382_thumb.gi

I think folks have to get off the nam train. I mean for the last two months people were calling it a piece of crap and now because it shows an epic storm, its the belle of the ball? It's clouding peoples better judgment I think including mine.

Southern stream system this time around, much different story...the GFS sturggles mightily at times with stuff coming out of the Gulf and SE.  The NAM nailed the early November storm.  I agree the NAM is too far west and the GFS is too far east...as Will said I'd go right in the middle of the two right now.

It's all about consistencies.  for the past week the Euro and NAM have been holding very steady with their solutions while we have seen more wobble from the GFS.  The NAM/Euro have been much more consistent with the handling of the phasing than the GFS has been.  Of course the GFS could be right b/c you never know with phasing but it's hard to argue and go against what has been more consistent.  

i don't feel like the euro and the nam have been on the same train. the euro has been locked on for about 5 days. the NAM sucks. 

i don't feel like the euro and the nam have been on the same train. the euro has been locked on for about 5 days. the NAM sucks. 

One of these days it'll be right again, but today doesn't appear to be that day.  If it manhandles this system with that ridiculous QPF total in NJ....lol.

One thing in both the GFS and UKMET...they're moving.    Both stall the low pretty far ENE...

It would be a big deal at this point because everyone's gone balls to the wall with the idea that this will be a region-wide paralyzing blizzard - not just a crush job for a portion of SE NE.

Exactly, They are all balls in, The qpf is no diff then 18z, , Its the model that shows the least, .75" which in the realm of this event is paultry.......lol

My gut says believe the GFS.  It has not budged from this more east, later phase idea.  Usually by now a model that is an outlier starts caving to in to the others.  The GFS is not.  I am not a Met but my idea says it is on to something.  Big storm yes but there is bust potential here.   Sorry, just my thoughts.

That precip Over the western Carolinas and Roanoke  better make a quick right if the GFS is going to verify.

That's exactly what I was trying to convey in my failed attempt to loop my radar post.  Again, it's not looking at the details of the models, but merely looking at what's actually occuring, it seems quite plausible that an early (south/west) capture could take place.

I wonder if the bigger issue will be latitude of the phase will be a bigger contributer to impact than the longitude.  Just wondering.

Nice pre-snow evening out there now.  22.5/5

The euro was certainly the first one to pick up on this and has held steady ever since, however, even when the NAM first came into range it was picking up on the idea and while perhaps they haven't been eye to eye they have had similar ideas with regards to several aspects of the storm.  

I know the NAM has issues with overdoing QPF and such, however, when you look at the NAM at what it's presenting you can see why we could very well see QPF close to these numbers.  We'll see times when the NAM spits out QPF and it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  This time it's a bit different.  There is incredible moisture inflow, moisture from both the Gulf and Atlantic, you have the Polar jet phasing with the sub-tropical jet, rapid cyclogenesis, and closing of lows just to our SE and that would lead to major frontogenesis over our region...so if there was a time where the NAM is onto something this would certainly be a case.   

My gut says believe the GFS.  It has not budged from this more east, later phase idea.  Usually by now a model that is an outlier starts caving to in to the others.  The GFS is not.  I am not a Met but my idea says it is on to something.  Big storm yes but there is bust potential here.   Sorry, just my thoughts.

But the Euro has not budged either... and it shows more snow, so guess what I want.... jk

I see what you are saying, but it was not long ago that it (the GFS) saw this as a strewn out mess.

Archived