amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there will probably be a tighter gradient than what we currently show. I'd also like to see the ec take the sfc low over ACK or the cape to get the good banding in here. As of right now it looks like the intense mesoscale banding would stay just to the east or southeast of PWM. May make a brief appearance.

Do you think there is a fairly high chance for thundersnow in the banding?  

This wouldn't be a storm without some period of freaking out!  

The only thing that would put everyone at ease would be if the GFS, NAM and Euro all had the same solution 48 hours before the storm and stayed the course, course it never happens. The Euro has been remarkably consistent compared to the other models. I remember when it was the only model showing a big storm 4 runs in a row Will said you have to pay attention to it since it kept showing the storm even though it was alone.

allaying the doubts...  MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD 1056 PM EST THU FEB 07 2013 VALID FEB 08/0000 UTC THRU FEB 11/1200 UT...PHASING NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD... ...POWERFUL COASTAL LOW EVOLVING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NEW ENGLAND COASTS...

PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWF

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

SRN STREAM ENERGY OVER THE LWR MS VLY AND A DEVELOPING AREA OF LOW PRESSURE JUST INLAND THIS EVENING OFF THE SOUTHEAST COASTLINE WILL LIFT NEWD ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST FRI. AMPLIFYING NRN STREAM HT FALLS DIGGING ACROSS THE LWR GRT LAKES AND UPR OH VLY REGION WILL CAPTURE AND PHASE WITH THE SRN STREAM ENERGY AND DRIVE A LOW CENTER THAT WILL BOMB OUT OFF THE NRN MID-ATLANTIC AND SRN NEW ENGLAND COASTS LATE FRI INTO EARLY SAT...WITH LOW PRESSURE CROSSING NEAR THE BENCHMARK. LOW PRESSURE WILL THEN MOVE ENEWD OUT TO SEA LATE SAT INTO SUN BEFORE THEN INVOF THE BENCHMARK FRI NIGHT AND EARLY SAT...BEFORE THEN PUSHING EAST AND AWAY FROM NEW ENGLAND ON SUN. REGARDING THE MDL DETAILS...THE 12Z ECMWF AND 00Z NAM CONTINUE TO BE A LITTLE WEST OF THE OVERALL MDL CONSENSUS...WITH THE 18Z GFS...12Z GEM GLOBAL AND THE 12Z UKMET A LITTLE FARTHER EAST. THE 12Z ECENS MEAN ACTUALLY SUGGESTS A LOW TRACK JUST A TAD LEFT OF THE 12Z ECMWF. THE 18Z GEFS MEAN SUPPORTS THE 18Z GFS. BASED ON ALL THIS...HPC WILL FAVOR A SOLN STRONGLY TWD THE 12Z ECMWF ATTM.

The only thing that would put everyone at ease would be if the GFS, NAM and Euro all had the same solution 48 hours before the storm and stayed the course, course it never happens. The Euro has been remarkably consistent compared to the other models. I remember when it was the only model showing a big storm 4 runs in a row Will said you have to pay attention to it since it kept showing the storm even though it was alone.

It's very difficult to get that kind of consistency...even though we are within 24-HR's there are still issues the models will have trouble resolving and then you add in the process of convective feedback and that is a killer for the models and would have major implications with low placement, track, etc.

allaying the doubts...  MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD 1056 PM EST THU FEB 07 2013 VALID FEB 08/0000 UTC THRU FEB 11/1200 UT...PHASING NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD... ...POWERFUL COASTAL LOW EVOLVING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NEW ENGLAND COASTS...

PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWF

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

SRN STREAM ENERGY OVER THE LWR MS VLY AND A DEVELOPING AREA OF LOW PRESSURE JUST INLAND THIS EVENING OFF THE SOUTHEAST COASTLINE WILL LIFT NEWD ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST FRI. AMPLIFYING NRN STREAM HT FALLS DIGGING ACROSS THE LWR GRT LAKES AND UPR OH VLY REGION WILL CAPTURE AND PHASE WITH THE SRN STREAM ENERGY AND DRIVE A LOW CENTER THAT WILL BOMB OUT OFF THE NRN MID-ATLANTIC AND SRN NEW ENGLAND COASTS LATE FRI INTO EARLY SAT...WITH LOW PRESSURE CROSSING NEAR THE BENCHMARK. LOW PRESSURE WILL THEN MOVE ENEWD OUT TO SEA LATE SAT INTO SUN BEFORE THEN INVOF THE BENCHMARK FRI NIGHT AND EARLY SAT...BEFORE THEN PUSHING EAST AND AWAY FROM NEW ENGLAND ON SUN. REGARDING THE MDL DETAILS...THE 12Z ECMWF AND 00Z NAM CONTINUE TO BE A LITTLE WEST OF THE OVERALL MDL CONSENSUS...WITH THE 18Z GFS...12Z GEM GLOBAL AND THE 12Z UKMET A LITTLE FARTHER EAST. THE 12Z ECENS MEAN ACTUALLY SUGGESTS A LOW TRACK JUST A TAD LEFT OF THE 12Z ECMWF. THE 18Z GEFS MEAN SUPPORTS THE 18Z GFS. BASED ON ALL THIS...HPC WILL FAVOR A SOLN STRONGLY TWD THE 12Z ECMWF ATTM.

No real mention of the new models other than the 0z NAM yet. 

Stumbled out of the gate.  Call it Barbaro

Glad I'm not the only one wondering what's up with that.  I can envision a westerly caputre that's further north than the NAM, and likely east of that as well.  Is that EC?  I'm not sure.  But, I'm hard-pressed to find this as something that plays east.  Just don't see it.

Off to bed now--I'll see how wrong I am in 6 hours, hopefully with the ground whitened.

Totally agree. I think the NAM is way to early in its phasing phase. However I can see how the NAM comes up with this solution. I think with the western energy slightly behind, a later capture is in order. I don't see the GFS solution or the NAM solution as being right. Something along a hybrid Euro/NAM solution. Somebody is going to see 30"+ and If I were a betting man, that area would be Eastern Mass, RI, extreme SW Maine.

Messenger, the RGEM and GFS are vastly different...the QPF max may still be in E Ma, but its a prolific producer on the RGEM with th eupper levels closing off and stalling the storm near the BM...GFS does not stal the storm like that....big difference in the upper levels.

I consider upper level analysis to be way more important than what the QPF is spitting out....RGEM would be a historic storm, GFS would be a major storm, but not historic.

Harv showed two models, one gives Boston 12.8 the other almost 23 or so.  He said he favored the higher one.

FWIW

Yeah he says 16-24+. He's the best met in our area and has been since he broke in and was the only one to ht the 78 blizzard of the tv guys at the time. I remember talking to him once about a month after 78. We were young guys and he was envious of my security being a health professional. Guess he did just fine...lol.

Archived