• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

Still a tick E through 24...all of SNE in heavy snow at this point except maybe far NW spots.

It's fine, we're forming a consensus. 

Euro stalls out a little further north this run.  Like all the others tonight aside of the NAM.  It budged a little.

With 30-36 hours to go, I really hope the progressive jogs are done but I have a hunch they're not.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's fine, we're forming a consensus. 

Euro stalls out a little further north this run.  Like all the others tonight aside of the NAM.  It budged a little.

With 30-36 hours to go, I really hope the progressive jogs are done but I have a hunch they're not.

Seems like these "long duration" events almost always end up more progressive than progged -- but maybe that's just my perception. 

I think the matter comes down to some really simple factors.

The consensus track has been at a hair inside of BM from pretty much every reliable forecaster. Euro first nailed the bomb and track days ago and stood out on a limb alone for awhile. Since then every model has played catchup while the euro stays consistent. The consistency and expertise of the euro over other models traditionally has to be taken into consideration. The only bones thrown into the equation have really been the gfs and nam. Nam is a very hit or miss model overall. We have seen time and time before that model go crazy with handling convection and just over amping the hell out of a system. Great example of this are the ridiculous astronomical numbers of qpf on 0z nam for NJ/NYC. Definitely a red flag. Interesting to note that nam stalls and occludes the low and still buries eastern areas. Tough to predict a stall, but nice to see potential modeled. Then there is the gfs which is way east. Likely too progressive and fast with the system as tip noted.

Taking these things into consideration and realizing this is only one model suite and it could easily be just problems with handling convection is key to what you should be thinking for now: ride middle ground with 12z euro and see what 0z shows.

I don't think it will move west. Maybe a tick east. Prolific totals but slightly lower.

It's like you never read this statement: "We seem to be forgetting that the GFS schooled the ECM for over month" ...particularly as it pertains to the middle range. I'm not suggesting the ECM shouldn't be acknowledged here. 

Wouldn't a slight shift east move some of the bigger areas being forecasted just west of Boston more into the Boston area?

Not necessarily. I think a lot of those maps were accounting for traditional elevation advantage. Not that I think it comes into play as much as normal in this storm. Oes will maybe even or take possible advantage over it for a major storm like this. But easterly shifts would bring deform death bands closer. Mid level bands would stay out west from us in any scenario. We will see low level stuff that will still give us prolific totals.

It's like you never read this statement: "We seem to be forgetting that the GFS schooled the ECM for over month" ...particularly as it pertains to the middle range. I'm not suggesting the ECM shouldn't be acknowledged here.

Eh.. gfs has gotten better. But I'm not anywhere near convinced gfs has better expertise than gfs right now. Euro is on a hot hand nailing this early

Yeah and unlikely that the bump is done JMHO.

Nice storm, should be plenty of ocean enhancement/banding too. Biggest in a long time.

No more bumps east or ENE please.

Exactly. Starting to feel like a game where the opponent is gradually eating into a big lead, and we just want the clock to run out before they catch us.

Does the 2" contour make it back to the Connecticut River in CT?  In the NYC thread, they're reporting 1.8" for NYC, but that sounds high based on the description here.  Thanks!

No, not up here, though maybe in S CT it does...it moves more NE rather than due N...

Does the 2" contour make it back to the Connecticut River in CT?  In the NYC thread, they're reporting 1.8" for NYC, but that sounds high based on the description here.  Thanks!

I think the Euro had like 2.5+ for us on 12z...and now i'm guessing we have roughly 1.5+. Somebody who has viewed the model can confirm though.

Archived