Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice band setting up from IZG to AUG

Nice snow-globe in AUG for the past 90 min, current vis 3/8 mile, approaching 2".  Of course, MBY 25 miles NNW has been in "hole in precip" (according to radar - prob a few flakes drifting down) since 8:30.  Hope that's not a preview of the rest of this event.

("Wouldn't that be included in the storm total?")

Maybe, though it shows 6-hr totals:

For PWM - 6 hr ending:

2/8, 1P...4.1"

2/8, 7P...2.1"

2/9, 1A...6.6"

2/9, 7A...6.9"

2/9, 1P...6.4"

2/9, 7P...1.0"

Given what's happening, I see that 4.1" as only covering 7A-1P.

just by observing the Satellite/radar/wv loops...looks like the northern stream energy is moving too slow, but is acting like a kicker to the southern stream energy...doesn't seem like they want to phase at all...

Give it some time.....we are verifying spot on the Euro down here.....the show doesn't really kick off for you until 3pm or so....

;)

Looks like the northern/coastal front moisture has now merged with the southern storm. I don't think there is even going to be a break in the snow. 30+ more hours of snow coming? Yes!

Yeah, I told my wife earlier this morning that it looked from the radar like we'd have a lull between the surprise early-morning stuff and the "real" show so she should be able to run a couple errands. It is looking increasingly like there will be little if any break, although the really heavy stuff will be later.

Just some light stuff right now, as we're to the south of the weenie band that's bisecting the AUG region. Temp has crept up to a balmy 12.

I think we're looking at two mechanisms right now. One is the coastal stuff, easterly flow being forced over the coastal front and snowing out very near the water. The stuff west of the turnpike is related to the frontogenesis from the northern stream wave.

Thanks for the explanation. So many moving parts, and snow moving in from seemingly every direction. Interesting to watch the returns rotate in off the water as that more inland band stays more or less stationary -- and all the while, the snow shield from the southern system approaches from the SW.

Love this site- thank you.  The camera is very valuable to me because I am exactly 15 miles north of where that shot takes place.  If they have snow, we surely will.  So good info for possible changeover/etc., as it will hit them first. Thanks again.

You're welcome. The owner is pretty good about making sure that the camera keeps a clear pic.

Archived