joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is some high ratio stuff. I think our 7 AM  measurement was 80:1.

Piling up out there, already seeing 15-20 car accidents on 295 north of Falmouth, ME.

Really handcuffed at the office too. Blizzard warnings don't begin until 2 PM at the earliest, but we probably hit warning criteria snows before then. Don't want to issue a double headline and confuse people.

Yep, roads slick. Deceiving as it looks like dry pavement, but very thin layer of ice/snow.

This is some high ratio stuff. I think our 7 AM  measurement was 80:1.

Piling up out there, already seeing 15-20 car accidents on 295 north of Falmouth, ME.

Really handcuffed at the office too. Blizzard warnings don't begin until 2 PM at the earliest, but we probably hit warning criteria snows before then. Don't want to issue a double headline and confuse people.

Amazing... thanks for update and will report this on tv shortly. BTW, What is your warning criteria? 6"+ in 12 hrs?

1st flakes 6A, just a dusting when I left for AUG 6:50.  Now mod. SN in AUG and close to 1" of fluff, prob at least 30:1.  Noted 7" at 7A for N.Conway from cocorahs.

GYX map has MBY in the 10-14" strip, down from 14-18" last night, but would still be my biggest winter snowfall in 4 yr.

GYX 6-hr snow tool:

Farmington...13.1"

AUG...17.3"

LEW...20.0"

PWM...27.1" (!!)  That would tie their record, set Jan 17-18, 1979, and it doesn't include the 3-4" falling prior to 7 this morning.

Wow, sounds like fun ;) Going to be an incredible storm. Did you factor in these morning snow totals?

We've definitely factored those in this morning, totals should reflect that.

One hell of a coastal front out there right now. Isle of Shoals is fresh easterly winds at 30/21, and PSM is light north at 15/10.

I think the radar looks great now for snh.  The band just to our north is expanding slowly south while the southern moisture moves up.  The echoes are darkening and our snow growth is improving, flake size increasing.  Pretty breezy too.  It looks like the band that extends over into s me will also continue to develop and slowly enhance.  Looking at it I think we get into light to moderate snow here soon.

Archived