Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

I was just looking at that

w/the SE ridge being so strong, that's probably the best shot for us to get snow.....cold front passes through, hangs up, and a low forms and rides up the coast

I remember the good old days in the 70's and 80's when that actually happened

Don't miss the corresponding 5h panel....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just looking at that

w/the SE ridge being so strong, that's probably the best shot for us to get snow.....cold front passes through, hangs up, and a low forms and rides up the coast

I remember the good old days in the 70's and 80's when that actually happened

It's a possibility, but these type of storms always seem to miss us to the SE.

Of course it isn't going down as shown....but the idea is out there....storm cuts, cold front passes, and a wave rides...

We just had this happen but temps sucked. Look at 5h. the waa wave is a real possibility. Can it be all rain? Hell yeah it can. Can it be all snow? Yep. It's prime time climo without a totally effed up 5h pattern. 

It aint gonna be pretty or easy this year. But some sort of jacked up setup can snow on us area wide. I'll be watching this feature closely. It's in the realm of possibility....until Wes comes in with his hammer....

Of course it isn't going down as shown....but the idea is out there....storm cuts, cold front passes, and a wave rides...

We just had this happen but temps sucked. Look at 5h. the waa wave is a real possibility. Can it be all rain? Hell yeah it can. Can it be all snow? Yep. It's prime time climo without a totally effed up 5h pattern. 

It aint gonna be pretty or easy this year. But some sort of jacked up setup can snow on us area wide. I'll be watching this feature closely. It's in the realm of possibility....until Wes comes in with his hammer....

those setups never work.. but it probably won't keep us from hoping it does

What's discouraging to me is it's going to take the damn PV to drift past Lakes Superior and Huron for us to get 2 days with double-digit negative departures.  The default is just warm for the last several years (decades?). 

I agree. We have not had a serious prolonged cold spell in years. But is that the norm for our area? Or were the 70's and 80's extreme? I dont have enough knowledge to know the answer to that. The PV retreating north is the kick in the nuts. 

Its a matter of expectations. I dont really get excited over snow to rain events, just to see snow falling from the sky. Be nice to have a few solid all snow events, or at least ones that don't turn to rain and end up as slop or get washed away completely. I think there will be chances in early February. I know some people here like to make a big deal over sun angle, or whine that two-thirds of winter has been wasted blah blah. But the reality is if we get a good area-wide snow event or two in the first half of February, no one will care about increasing sun angle.

yes, but given that we've seen nothing but marginal air masses this winter (well, and warm ones too) it seems unlikely that Feb is going to be kind to us.  Fact is if anyone of those events at the end of Dec (for us folks in the western area) had happened in Feb no one outside the high elevations would've had any accumulating snow.   32 - 33F snow falling during the daylight hours in Feb might as well be rain.

I tend to agree with Bob.  The big differenence with these waves coming in the LR is that it will have been very cold leading up to these waves and not in the 60's or 70's.  First things first, cold pattern.  I will take that over the warmth we had last weekend.  At least it gives us chances!  Let's remember that this wave that we just had didn't show up on the models affecting VA until Monday night.  May not happen but going to stay positive!  In a little different boat than most of you guys though.  I did get 4" out of last nights system.  Hoping for something that makes us all happy.

12z Euro has a slp in panhandle of WVA, but 850 are still a couple below 0

looks like a snow to mix/rain or even zr, but I can't tell you how much qpf (if any for that matter) because I'm still waiting for Accuwx to update

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbcalc2.cgi?re=namer&id=&zoom=.6&ti=0≥=1280x1024&mo=ecmwf≤=sfc&va=slp&in=4&pl=cf&ft=7day&cu=latest&overlay=no&mo=≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&ft=h24&cu=latest

5h

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbcalc2.cgi?re=us&id=&zoom=.6&ti=0≥=1280x1024&mo=ecmwf≤=500&va=hght&in=60&pl=cf&ft=7day&cu=latest&overlay=no&mo=≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&ft=h24&cu=latest

850's

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbcalc2.cgi?re=us&id=&zoom=.6&ti=0≥=1280x1024&mo=ecmwf≤=850&va=temp&in=5&pl=cf&ft=7day&cu=latest&overlay=no&mo=≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&ft=h24&cu=latest

Looks like snow/ice to start and quick change to rain. We need it to be more south like GGEM is showing or have better CAD like GGEM is showing. It just needs to like like GGEm which blitzes us. But it is trending south for sure

Looks like snow/ice to start and quick change to rain. We need it to be more south like GGEM is showing or have better CAD like GGEM is showing. It just needs to like like GGEm which blitzes us. But it is trending south for sure

No...it needs to be a nice big snowstorm for Vermont like the GFS shows so I can at least have a good ski weekend.  I doubt that is going to end up far enough south to give us a significant snowfall, its originating too far north.  The best case would be a low impact event, and I could care less...my worst case scenario is it ends up far enough south to miss new england and thus not give any snow to the ski areas, but still not give much of anything down here worth seeing either.  I have given up on our winter, but at least get snow snow into Vermont so I can save something of a ski season. 

yes, but given that we've seen nothing but marginal air masses this winter (well, and warm ones too) it seems unlikely that Feb is going to be kind to us.  Fact is if anyone of those events at the end of Dec (for us folks in the western area) had happened in Feb no one outside the high elevations would've had any accumulating snow.   32 - 33F snow falling during the daylight hours in Feb might as well be rain.

All depends on the intensity of the snowfall. Get some weak ass storm where the clouds aren't that thick with light snow falling then yeah might as well be rain. Get a dynamic system with moderate to heavy snow and it can easily accumulate at 32 during the day. Lower ratios of course. The other possibility is an arctic air mass with temps in the 20s or lower and a good storm. There are indications in the long range that early Feb could be decently cold and stormy. Hopefully the mild period after this coming week is short lived.

Archived