Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From HM a little good news:

Just a quick post; I have to run... I am going to be a little more optimistic today than I have been lately. First of all, the system that sparks the "near-miss" coastal early next week is located up in Alaska. It will drop down through Canada over the next few days before amplifying into the Midwest / Northeast. I know I have been nay-saying it for the most part but I do think the s/w will trend stronger as we get closer to the event. It may be enough to bring snow showers or even some light snow to the area as it passes through. I think it will be able to clip eastern New England, but the obvious uncertainty applies. Finally, I think the 1/25 system will be a "SWFE" as the New Englanders call it and it may bring most of the area a front end snow/mix before a change to rain/dry slot. I don't think it will be all rain and a simple cutter.

I'll be back later... I didn't get a sleet pellet with the last event...but can I get a snowflake tonight?!!?! haha

It is from the Philly thread.

From HM a little good news:

Just a quick post; I have to run... I am going to be a little more optimistic today than I have been lately. First of all, the system that sparks the "near-miss" coastal early next week is located up in Alaska. It will drop down through Canada over the next few days before amplifying into the Midwest / Northeast. I know I have been nay-saying it for the most part but I do think the s/w will trend stronger as we get closer to the event. It may be enough to bring snow showers or even some light snow to the area as it passes through. I think it will be able to clip eastern New England, but the obvious uncertainty applies. Finally, I think the 1/25 system will be a "SWFE" as the New Englanders call it and it may bring most of the area a front end snow/mix before a change to rain/dry slot. I don't think it will be all rain and a simple cutter.

I'll be back later... I didn't get a sleet pellet with the last event...but can I get a snowflake tonight?!!?! haha

It is from the Philly thread.

I don't see any good news for us in that post...

That doesn't seem good.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad as much as a reminder that the long range is often absurdly cold and absurdly wrong. I think since it's the long range a lot of the misses become a fuzzy mess and people act like the models have any major clue that far out. On the flip side maybe you can praise the Euro -- again -- for not being as bad.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad as much as a reminder that the long range is often absurdly cold and absurdly wrong. I think since it's the long range a lot of the misses become a fuzzy mess and people act like the models have any major clue that far out. On the flip side maybe you can praise the Euro -- again -- for not being as bad.

I refuse to praise a model that gives us DC folk no snow  :axe:

last yr was a pretty crazy anomaly for dc itself when it comes to cold temps. i mean it was way below reaching quotas even the warm current normals. we're basically in a similar place for this winter so we almost need some good cold or maybe our local climate has snapped.  still only 10 freezing or lower lows.. DJF avg is 65 over recent 30 winters.

Fixed. But what are our chances of getting precip to match?  I'm not even investing myself in the Monday "system".  I wouldn't be able to handle another let down.

even putting system in quotes might be kind. i don't see much there for us at least. might enhance upslope etc.

Archived