joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM is like a 14 seed in the NCAA tournament....every once in a while it wins or keeps it very close, but usually it loses by 30 pts

While the event has not happened yet, the NAM was the first model to get precip past the VA/NC border 36 hours ago. Now I believe all models have mostly backed off the extremely suppressed look. Follow the leader....?

I'm proud of you dude

Thanks man, it took me awhile. Just a year ago, I would have made about 10 breathless posts in a row about game on, etc. I saw the NAM before the posting sprees here about it and didn't even make a post about it. I guess I finally got tired of being Charlie Brown. Now if the GFS has it, then an eyebrow gets raised. Just an eyebrow.

While the event has not happened yet, the NAM was the first model to get precip past the VA/NC border 36 hours ago. Now I believe all models have mostly backed off the extremely suppressed look. Follow the leader....?

the euro had a decent bump north in the precip shield at 12z... and the 12z euro ens mean is actually kinda juicy looking... .25" to DCA.. but precip might not be enough. 

The NAM is like a 14 seed in the NCAA tournament....every once in a while it wins or keeps it very close, but usually it loses by 30 pts

Don't disagree with you at all. But we all know what function the NAM serves: If there hadn't been a blockbuster snowstorm locked in on models for days, then when we're close in, a suddenly good NAM run will keep everyone waiting until the GFS. A bad one will just "release" everyone to continue with whatever else they were doing.

It's almost like a much lesser version of the Golden Globes/Oscars relationship. Maybe the Saturn awards?

Perhaps the best NAM catching-onto-a-snowstorm-run in the past few years was the 0Z 1/30/10 run that brought the 0.5" contour north through the area. GFS somewhat followed. LWX expanded the WWA's north and, as you all remember, had to upgrade them to warnings during the next morning.

Edited: Of course I'm not saying the solution tonight is likely--- The most interesting part to me is the drastic change in the time-frame we're looking at.

Yeah, but it was more of a "minor" coup, wasn't it? Before the 0z runs on 1/30/10, didn't the GFS consistently have at least  around .30"? The NAM was the first to latch on to warning criteria snows, but all the models had at least WWA critera snows IIRC, so it was only a minor bump in QPF (I'll defer to you since your snowstorm memory is clearly better than mine ;) , but that's how I remember it at least).

Maybe I'm just nit-picking, and we can still call that a NAM win. ;)

Yeah, but it was more of a "minor" coup, wasn't it? Before the 0z runs on 1/30/10, didn't the GFS consistently have at least around .30"? The NAM was the first to latch on to warning criteria snows, but all the models had at least WWA critera snows IIRC, so it was only a minor bump in QPF (I'll defer to you since your snowstorm memory is clearly better than mine ;) , but that's how I remember it at least).

Maybe I'm just nit-picking, and we can still call that a NAM win. ;)

No, I'll clear this one up. We all (those of us north of about Charlottesville) went to bed pissed off on Thursday night. Fri NAM 12z started bring it north. All other models followed and the trend continued right up until game time. I went from a forecast of 20% chance of snow on Fri morning to 7 inches of snow on Sat afternoon. Never will forget that one. There was a sharp cutoff on that one though. I was in Hagerstown on Sun and it looked like they had about an inch.

No, I'll clear this one up. We all (those of us north of about Charlottesville) went to bed pissed off on Thursday night. Fri NAM 12z started bring it north. All other models followed and the trend continued right up until game time. I went from a forecast of 20% chance of snow on Fri morning to 7 inches of snow on Sat afternoon. Never will forget that one. There was a sharp cutoff on that one though. I was in Hagerstown on Sun and it looked like they had about an inch.

0z NAM on the 29th (Thursday) Actually backed the best snows well to my south. Had like MAYBE .25 near LYH. 

sfc is 'toasty'.. like u 30s and dropping but it's cold at 850. know op euro tends to run warm at sfc not sure about mean.

What the NAM did was have a little phasing with the N stream feature, so temps crashed a bit, the others haven't phased it yet, so its interesting to see what the next few runs show in terms of that. 

Archived