joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you all want this to move north terribly, however, there's a thing called the Polar Vortex, and it is not in the north's favor. At least, not as it stands now.

pv has been there on the models all week, it's just that they have a tendency to have it too strong and as the system approaches, they adjust north

heck, this could end up being too north for DCA/BWI, so who knows

Monday's vort pass is still looking fine too. Much to be resolved there as well but could be a nice freshening up of our snowpack.

Definitely, looks good, and bombs it on the coast. The neg tilt is good looking, I'd want it to dig more obviously because the precip developing over us is risky business. Still got 5-6 days to figure it out. 

Yes, the problem is that no one ever seems to be satisfied. The PV being where it is, will only allow it so far north. MD, DE, and lower NJ might could get a snowstorm, but I highly doubt much further north than that, if at all. Just my two cents.

You doubt it because its not good for your back yard. The storm is basically in the same position it has been its just stronger and wetter.

Congrats to Ian and others who stuck with this....I punted long ago..biggest problem with GFS is heaviest snow is midday......This could be real time and location dependent in terms of accumulation...

Still a way to go if we want to score for sure but that it's even on the table is a plus. We don't do well living on the edge tho so need to resolve that maybe most of all.

Still a way to go if we want to score for sure but that it's even on the table is a plus. We don't do well living on the edge tho so need to resolve that maybe most of all.

Would be much more excited living down by EZF. But even so, pretty impressive jump for one run across the board, and so close to an event. Still more excited at this point for next Tues/Wed. Midday high Wed in the low 20s?

You doubt it because its not good for your back yard. The storm is basically in the same position it has been its just stronger and wetter.

Not at all, actually. And next time, if I want the snarky attitude, I will ask for it. I am merely stating what is most likely at the time. It can trend north. I did not say it couldn't. But if it is going to trend a fair amount north, the PV will need to weaken a good clip, and that is possible, but doesn't appear likely *at this moment.* Tomorrow morning may bring a different story.

I know most focus on things that effect our area, but since I ski and am always on the lookout for where a powder dump is going on, I have noticed the Euro has been caving to the GFS lately on just about everything by about day 7.  At day 10 the euro and gfs will have different solutions then by day 7 time and time again all over north america the euro is caving.  I have never seen it so consistently off compared to the GFS for a long stretch like this.  I wonder what about this pattern is causing it to be basically a train wreck. 

Archived