e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December Obs and Banter

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM is making precip look likely. Don't know if it will be cold enough for freezing precip, not that freezing rain is exciting, but it is nice to have SOMETHING possibly happen.

29 degrees here now, but the radar looks paltry. What's that about having the cold, but just needing the moisture ? :whistle:

Freezing rain advisories out for accumulating freezing rain for the PA counties just to my north.

29 degrees here now, but the radar looks paltry. What's that about having the cold, but just needing the moisture ? :whistle:

Freezing rain advisories out for up to accumulating freezing rain for the PA counties just to my north.

Yeah, I'll stick with my lack of precip does us in more than lack of temps. We will see how it plays out over the next few months, but the way it's been lately I'll be glad to see some precip, of any kind. As for tonight, I expect nothing, but it is below freezing here also. I'd get excited at this point to have ice on the windshield.

Yeah, I'll stick with my lack of precip does us in more than lack of temps. We will see how it plays out over the next few months, but the way it's been lately I'll be glad to see some precip, of any kind. As for tonight, I expect nothing, but it is below freezing here also. I'd get excited at this point to have ice on the windshield.

I've recorded 0.82" in the 5 weeks since Sandy. I'll take all the rain December wants to give. Bonus points for light glazing in the a.m.

I think we can pull out a six-week period of opportunity mid-Jan to early Mar and we'll be thankful for our location, with less-than ideal storm tracks.

Feels like one of those winters where you will need to focus on the snow you get vs. the snow that others get...meaning miller b's and clippers that give us dustings to 3 or 4" while Philly North get 6" + bombs. Be happy with what falls here and ignore the other forums this winter is my advice.

Anybody that reads the New England forum for pattern discussion and thinks that it means good news for us is setting themselves up for pain IMO. Read stuff further North at risk of your sanity!!

Feels like one of those winters where you will need to focus on the snow you get vs. the snow that others get...meaning miller b's and clippers that give us dustings to 3 or 4" while Philly North get 6" + bombs. Be happy with what falls here and ignore the other forums this winter is my advice.

Anybody that reads the New England forum for pattern discussion and thinks that it means good news for us is setting themselves up for pain IMO. Read stuff further North at risk of your sanity!!

And yes I know this is every winter but I feel like it is even more so this year

I've been saying this pretty much all fall. I don't expect much in the way of help from the southern stream, so we'll have to get lucky to get more than a few inches in any storm.

And only masochists read the New England forum hoping for good news down here.

I've been saying this pretty much all fall. I don't expect much in the way of help from the southern stream, so we'll have to get lucky to get more than a few inches in any storm.

And only masochists read the New England forum hoping for good news down here.

If you read their forum you would now know that our non snowy warm December should turn non snowier and warmier around Christmas as this wonderful pattern breaks down....lol...ouch

I think this is true, but sometimes even with the right conditions, the snow ends up SOUTH of where you might think it would. The last two years are a perfect example. We sat here with plenty of cold and watched areas to our south get the snow.

Snow can be very much luck of the draw, so just because the pattern isn't perfectly aligned for us like it was in 2009 doesn't mean we can't get snow.

I think this is true, but sometimes even with the right conditions, the snow ends up SOUTH of where you might think it would. The last two years are a perfect example. We sat here with plenty of cold and watched areas to our south get the snow.

Snow can be very much luck of the draw, so just because the pattern isn't perfectly aligned for us like it was in 2009 doesn't mean we can't get snow.

I think we get snow...but there are quite a few on here who can't appreciate the snow they get and tend to compare and get disappointed....

I think we get snow...but there are quite a few on here who can't appreciate the snow they get and tend to compare and get disappointed....

Yes to this.

If I get a 4 inch snow, I'm not concerned at all that Scranton got 8". I

What's getting to me right now is all of the negativity. I also can't stand the way that long range forecasts are only to be looked at warily is if they show something decent. They are taken as gospel if they show one hint of warmth. Of course we all know that the long range forecasts are solid. Just look at the CFS2 forecast for the month of November issued at the end of October. Nailed it.

There's no quit in me. I'm not giving in, certainly not on Dec 7. If it doesn't happen for us, so be it.

I know what they mean by it but it is funny to call something a "Southwest Flow Event" in the westerlies since the jet is usually doing that on the east side of a trough. But it is nothing new.

On a somwhat related note, I think I liked the NE subforum a lot better in the convective season. I'm having trouble following all the inside jokes, stories and cutting through all the nonsense to get to good posts.

The NE forum has a new buzz acronym "SWFE pattern". I wonder what the heck it means.

Wes, it refers to the screaming SW flow aloft between 700mb and 500mb. It was how we managed our snowy '07 and '08 Decembers where we would get a 6-8hr dump and then dryslot with a brief change to mix precip prior to the dryslot. Usually these events featured a very strong high north of Maine to help keep us cold.

I know what they mean by it but it is funny to call something a "Southwest Flow Event" in the westerlies since the jet is usually doing that on the east side of a trough. But it is nothing new.

On a somwhat related note, I think I liked the NE subforum a lot better in the convective season. I'm having trouble following all the inside jokes, stories and cutting through all the nonsense to get to good posts.

The pattern changed thread from Will is strictly meant for non banter. I would post pattern thoughts in there.

lots of info in up in there for sure. But like you say, it is tough to sift through it all and there really hasn't been a whole heck of a lot of weather to really talk that much about.

The pattern changed thread from Will is strictly meant for non banter. I would post pattern thoughts in there.

Just as much pertinent information is posted in the banter thread though. I'm not talking about reading my own stuff.

Archived