Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bookmark these folks..These are all keepers..Hot off the press from BOX

EVEN THOUGH THE STORM IS FORECAST TO REMAIN SOUTH OF THE REGION...

SANDY IS A VERY LARGE SYSTEM. THIS MAY BE A VERY CATASTROPHIC AND

DESTRUCTIVE STORM FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AND NEIGHBORING

LOCALITIES. WIND GUSTS MAY REACH UP TO HURRICANE FORCE. DOWNED

TREES AND WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES /LIKELY FOR DAYS/ WOULD BE

ANTICIPATED.

Looks like something to forget about not save, not great that people will be homeless or quite possibly be injured/killed.

You'll be OK. You live in West Haven, not Port-au-Prince. And this is a transitioning tropical storm, not Katrina. I think we're letting our imaginations run wild here.

To be fair they are expecting the surge to be worse than 38, coastal residents should treat this as a cat 2-3 surge and just forget what its called or classified. I think its fair to be concerned looking at the greatest tidal surge in recorded history. A balance between pure hype and complacency will work well.

I know there's a few posters today that attacked me who don't even live here or have between 15 and 62 posts LOL. I don't get why it's allowed. None of us go to other forums.

Did you board or tape up any windows?

Nah...i don't think the wind will blow out any of my windows and I don't expect there will be that kind of flying debris in my exact spot...

I think some folks down here should be doing that though.

My anemometer on my roof is just about 10 meters and has great clearance in all directions so hoping for some good readings

Will...how long are the damaging winds projected to last..Are we still looking at 24-36 hours of strong, damaging winds? Will they still be cranking even on Tuesday?

This is the point forecast for 2,000ft *up here* this far north.... wow! We are going to absolutely rock at the ski resort.

And wondering how long winds last? BTV has "Windy" in the forecast through Thursday!

Monday A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Very windy, with a east wind 43 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Monday Night Rain, mainly before 2am. Low around 49. Strong and damaging winds, with a southeast wind 75 to 85 mph decreasing to 60 to 70 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 105 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday Rain likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 48. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Wednesday Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 48. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Wednesday Night A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 50%

Thursday A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Nah...i don't think the wind will blow out any of my windows and I don't expect there will be that kind of flying debris in my exact spot...

I think some folks down here should be doing that though.

My anemometer on my roof is just about 10 meters and has great clearance in all directions so hoping for some good readings

Nice..Hope you can record some of the gusts to 80 or 90mph on that .. I am gonna move my davis inside tomorrow night..It'll be blown away if I leave it out there.

FIRST A NOTE ON THE NWS WARNING STRATEGY FOR SANDY. IN ORDER TO

AVOID THE RISK OF A HIGHLY DISRUPTIVE CHANGE FROM TROPICAL TO

NON-TROPICAL WARNINGS WHEN SANDY BECOMES POST-TROPICAL...THE WIND

HAZARD NORTH OF THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING AREA WILL CONTINUE TO BE

CONVEYED THROUGH HIGH WIND WATCHES AND WARNINGS WARNINGS ISSUED BY

LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICES.

As a frame of reference will interior SNE winds be comparable to Irene with current track? Was looking at obs from Irene and saw that BED never gusted above 50 mph ORH was 52 mph. BOS had gust to 63 mph. Less leaves on trees now of course. so those same winds would probably cause less outages in this case.

Northern CT ZFP...

CTZ003-280800-

TOLLAND CT-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MANSFIELD...STAFFORD SPRINGS...VERNON

415 PM EDT SAT OCT 27 2012

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY

AFTERNOON...

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE

MONDAY NIGHT...

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

AREAS OF FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE UPPER 40S. NORTHEAST

WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 20 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...CLOUDY. AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING. A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID 50S. NORTHEAST WINDS

10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 40 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SHOWERS LIKELY...MAINLY AFTER

MIDNIGHT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE

AROUND 50. NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH...

INCREASING TO 40 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG. VERY WINDY WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER

50S. NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH...

INCREASING TO 30 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH IN THE

AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG. VERY WINDY. NEAR STEADY

TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 50S. EAST WINDS 25 TO 35 MPH. GUSTS UP

TO 60 MPH...DECREASING TO 50 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN

NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG. HIGHS AROUND 60. CHANCE OF RAIN

NEAR 100 PERCENT.

What's real interesting is that my zone forecast way up here (two counties south of Canada) is showing higher gusts than the zones in interior CT... compare above to below. BTV pegging gusts to 75mph in the mountain valleys. I have a real hard time seeing that verify. Summit of Mansfield at 4,000ft is a lock for 100+ though.

Monday: Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Windy with highs in the upper 50s. East winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.

Monday Night: Rain. Very windy with lows in the mid 50s. East winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 75 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

This is the point forecast for 2,000ft *up here* this far north.... wow! We are going to absolutely rock at the ski resort.

And wondering how long winds last? BTV has "Windy" in the forecast through Thursday!

Monday A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Very windy, with a east wind 43 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Monday Night Rain, mainly before 2am. Low around 49. Strong and damaging winds, with a southeast wind 75 to 85 mph decreasing to 60 to 70 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 105 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday Rain likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 48. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Wednesday Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 48. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Wednesday Night A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 50%

Thursday A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Most of us don't live at 2K though...lol

Most of us don't live at 2K though...lol

Yeah I don't either... but a lot live in the 1,000-2,000ft band. 2,000ft is *not* that high up relatively speaking around here for over 100mph gusts. I have friends that live at 2,300ft at Bolton Valley.

Even our zone forecast (for valley locations) has winds of 75mph, while the CT zones don't go above 60mph.

More odd than anything. I figured it would be the other way around with BOX forecasting gusts to 70-80mph and BTV up to 50-60mph.

I'm surprised BOX seemed a little tame with the wind inland... hitting the coastal plain and south coast hardest. Only mentioning 50kt gusts in the interior when I thought most models had 70-90kts just off the deck. Judging by some of the posts here, I was hoping for some good ol' hurricane wind forecasts beyond the counties right along the shore.

WIND...

LARGE ANTICYCLONE OVER NEWFOUNDLAND WILL HELP EXPAND THE GRADIENT

WIND FIELD. IN FACT THE 12Z ECMWF AND NAM HAVE TWO WIND MAXES...ONE

ALONG THE SOUTH COAST AND ANOTHER OVER THE EAST COAST OF MA WITH

80-90 KT AT 925 MB! 12Z GEFS HAS +6 STD WIND ANOMALY AT 925 MB NEAR

BID 18Z MON! THIS WILL YIELD POTENTIAL FOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND

GUSTS ACROSS THIS AREA. THUS DO NOT FOCUS ON WHERE LOW LEVEL

CIRCULATION MAKES LANDFALL! DAMAGING WINDS WILL OCCUR WELL TO THE

NORTH OF SANDY. 12Z GFS SIMILAR IDEA BUT MORE BROAD BRUSHED GIVEN

LOWER RESOLUTION. NAM BUFKIT SOUNDINGS SUPPORT 50+ KT WIND GUSTS

POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION /COASTAL PLAIN AND HIGH TERRAIN/

MON AND THEN AGAIN MON NIGHT AS WINDS SHIFT FROM E TO SE.

THEREFORE WILL BLANKET ALL OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH A HIGH WIND

WATCH TO ADDRESS THIS DAMAGING WIND POTENTIAL. HIGHEST CONFIDENCE

FROM BID-MVY-ACK-CAPE COD AND THE ENTIRE COASTAL PLAIN. LESS

CONFIDENCE NORTHWEST MA AND SOUTHWEST NH. HOWEVER FOR INLAND

LOCATIONS THE X-FACTOR WILL BE ESPECIALLY EAST SLOPES OF

BERKS/WORCESTER HILLS AND MONADNOCKS LOW PROB OF UP TO 5 INCHES OF

RAINFALL POSSIBLE GIVEN UPSLOPE WIND COMPONENT. THUS SATURATED

GROUND MAY ENHANCE RISK FOR DOWNED TREES.

OTHER FACTOR THAT MAY INCREASE WIND DAMAGE RISK IS IF ANY

CONVECTIVE/FEEDER BANDS/SQUALLS DEVELOP AND ASSOCIATED ROBUST

SHALLOW UPDRAFTS GIVEN SUCH STRONG WINDS JUST ABOVE THE DECK. THIS

WAS THE CASE WITH IRENE WHEN MOST WIND DAMAGED OCCURRED WITH

CONVECTIVE/FEEDER BAND/SQUALLS. TOO EARLY TO TELL WHERE POTENTIAL

BANDS WOULD DEVELOP. THUS LARGE HIGH WIND WATCH JUSTIFIED.

I'm surprised BOX seemed a little tame with the wind inland... hitting the coastal plain and south coast hardest. Only mentioning 50kt gusts in the interior when I thought most models had 70-90kts just off the deck. Judging by some of the posts here, I was hoping for some good ol' hurricane wind forecasts beyond the counties right along the shore.

WIND...

LARGE ANTICYCLONE OVER NEWFOUNDLAND WILL HELP EXPAND THE GRADIENT

WIND FIELD. IN FACT THE 12Z ECMWF AND NAM HAVE TWO WIND MAXES...ONE

ALONG THE SOUTH COAST AND ANOTHER OVER THE EAST COAST OF MA WITH

80-90 KT AT 925 MB! 12Z GEFS HAS +6 STD WIND ANOMALY AT 925 MB NEAR

BID 18Z MON! THIS WILL YIELD POTENTIAL FOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND

GUSTS ACROSS THIS AREA. THUS DO NOT FOCUS ON WHERE LOW LEVEL

CIRCULATION MAKES LANDFALL! DAMAGING WINDS WILL OCCUR WELL TO THE

NORTH OF SANDY. 12Z GFS SIMILAR IDEA BUT MORE BROAD BRUSHED GIVEN

LOWER RESOLUTION. NAM BUFKIT SOUNDINGS SUPPORT 50+ KT WIND GUSTS

POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION /COASTAL PLAIN AND HIGH TERRAIN/

MON AND THEN AGAIN MON NIGHT AS WINDS SHIFT FROM E TO SE.

THEREFORE WILL BLANKET ALL OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH A HIGH WIND

WATCH TO ADDRESS THIS DAMAGING WIND POTENTIAL. HIGHEST CONFIDENCE

FROM BID-MVY-ACK-CAPE COD AND THE ENTIRE COASTAL PLAIN. LESS

CONFIDENCE NORTHWEST MA AND SOUTHWEST NH. HOWEVER FOR INLAND

LOCATIONS THE X-FACTOR WILL BE ESPECIALLY EAST SLOPES OF

BERKS/WORCESTER HILLS AND MONADNOCKS LOW PROB OF UP TO 5 INCHES OF

RAINFALL POSSIBLE GIVEN UPSLOPE WIND COMPONENT. THUS SATURATED

GROUND MAY ENHANCE RISK FOR DOWNED TREES.

OTHER FACTOR THAT MAY INCREASE WIND DAMAGE RISK IS IF ANY

CONVECTIVE/FEEDER BANDS/SQUALLS DEVELOP AND ASSOCIATED ROBUST

SHALLOW UPDRAFTS GIVEN SUCH STRONG WINDS JUST ABOVE THE DECK. THIS

WAS THE CASE WITH IRENE WHEN MOST WIND DAMAGED OCCURRED WITH

CONVECTIVE/FEEDER BAND/SQUALLS. TOO EARLY TO TELL WHERE POTENTIAL

BANDS WOULD DEVELOP. THUS LARGE HIGH WIND WATCH JUSTIFIED.

50+

People get obsessed with the track when its a tropical cyclone...but when its transitioning to extra tropical, the effects are obscene well away from the center. In hurricane Hazel in 1954, NYC saw like 100mph gusts with the storm landfalling in NC and tracking through central PA.

The biggest single factor for SNE winds will be the low level jet to the north and northeast of the storm. The surge will be affected by the angle of attack...whether its worse for Narragansett or the eastern facing shores and LI sound.

Record high winds I think it was over 100 mph (107?) perhaps

Question for our awesome Mets.........with these type winds, besides shingles and such, is there now a chance for real structural damage?

Not a met but the biggest issue as far as wind is concerned will probably be more with trees breaking and being knocked downed. If the soil is saturated it doesn't take much wind to knock a tree down and a tree on your house or car is no fun at all.

Just pulled out the BUFKIT for 18z NAM...the LLJ is just really impressive on this thing. The GFS profiles are slightly more impressive, but all of the guidance has 100 knots somewhere in the low levels. I'm thinking we might be able to get some 75 knot gusts on the Cape.

Archived