• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

Sandy Hook is 10 miles by the way the crow flies from Brooklyn...people need to stop obsessing over the exact landfall spot.

Yeah 10 or so miles. I'm not sure what's going on does someone have a bet going on or something and didn't we create subforums for this reason? Nobody is getting snow we can all relax!

All models point to a major destructive event along the eastern seaboard. What is the consensus on storm surge in Li sound?

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those obsessing over the landfall, NWS BOX had a very good part of their discussion that everyone should read and actually digest.

LARGE ANTICYCLONE OVER NEWFOUNDLAND WILL HELP EXPAND THE GRADIENT

WIND FIELD. IN FACT THE 12Z ECMWF AND NAM HAVE TWO WIND MAXES...ONE

ALONG THE SOUTH COAST AND ANOTHER OVER THE EAST COAST OF MA WITH

80-90 KT AT 925 MB! 12Z GEFS HAS +6 STD WIND ANOMALY AT 925 MB NEAR

BID 18Z MON! THIS WILL YIELD POTENTIAL FOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND

GUSTS ACROSS THIS AREA. THUS DO NOT FOCUS ON WHERE LOW LEVEL

CIRCULATION MAKES LANDFALL! DAMAGING WINDS WILL OCCUR WELL TO THE

NORTH OF SANDY.

Just want to remind folks near the epicenter of Sandy that widespread power outages will result in cell phone service going down. The generators at the towers usually have about 12 - 24 hours of gas. After Oct. snow storm last year we lost cell service about 12 hours in.

Generators will last a couple of days; sites will last on batteries anywhere from 2-8 hours on batteries alone

For those obsessing over the landfall, NWS BOX had a very good part of their discussion that everyone should read and actually digest.

LARGE ANTICYCLONE OVER NEWFOUNDLAND WILL HELP EXPAND THE GRADIENT

WIND FIELD. IN FACT THE 12Z ECMWF AND NAM HAVE TWO WIND MAXES...ONE

ALONG THE SOUTH COAST AND ANOTHER OVER THE EAST COAST OF MA WITH

80-90 KT AT 925 MB! 12Z GEFS HAS +6 STD WIND ANOMALY AT 925 MB NEAR

BID 18Z MON! THIS WILL YIELD POTENTIAL FOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND

GUSTS ACROSS THIS AREA. THUS DO NOT FOCUS ON WHERE LOW LEVEL

CIRCULATION MAKES LANDFALL! DAMAGING WINDS WILL OCCUR WELL TO THE

NORTH OF SANDY.

Nonsense, Sandy hook means way more then Belmar NJ.

I think the duration of this event is going to take a lower end situation and make it far worse

I like how even though the LLJ weakens, CAA means SE gales because you mix better. Mixing doesn't look great overall, but when you have near 100kts at 925mb....A blue jay farting would bring much of that to the surface.

The squeeze from that high strengthening in N New Foundland really helps enhance the LLJ. That high strengthens every step of the way as Sandy is coming north. Not too dissimilar in the way the December 1992 high kept strengthening as that storm approached then stalled. The difference is the high isn't quite as close...but that is of course why Dec 1992 only got down to 987mb but produced like 90mph gusts. Sandy could get into the 950mb range.

Joe--I think you misunderstood me. There comments were funny--the reality of the situation is far from it. I tried to point that out in my statement. If that got lost, I spoke clumsily.

:) No worries Mike, I am exhausted and probably read it wrong, looking forward to the wind, surge not so much but we are prepared and have done everything we can do........time to settle in and enjoy quite the show from mother nature!

What would that mean? A cascading failure

Im no engineer, but I would guess that it means the shutdown would be effected so as to isolate the damage and keep it from propagating further into the system. Since its expected that many coastal areas will be contending with surge and flood issues that we further inland wouldnt expect, they are trying to isolate those areas. Apparently, outages in the system are contagious!

Anybody know if this is close to the reason?

Im no engineer, but I would guess that it means the shutdown would be effected so as to isolate the damage and keep it from propagating further into the system. Since its expected that many coastal areas will be contending with surge and flood issues that we further inland wouldnt expect, they are trying to isolate those areas.

Anybody know if this is close to the reason?

Cascading failure is a common effect seen in high voltage systems, where a single point of failure (SPF) on a fully loaded or slightly overloaded system results in a sudden spike across all nodes of the system. This surge current can induce the already overloaded nodes into failure, setting off more overloads and thereby taking down the entire system in a very short time.

This failure process cascades through the elements of the system like a ripple on a pond and continues until substantially all of the elements in the system are compromised and/or the system becomes functionally disconnected from the source of its load. For example, under certain conditions a large power grid can collapse after the failure of a single transformer.

Cascading failure is a common effect seen in high voltage systems, where a single point of failure (SPF) on a fully loaded or slightly overloaded system results in a sudden spike across all nodes of the system. This surge current can induce the already overloaded nodes into failure, setting off more overloads and thereby taking down the entire system in a very short time.

This failure process cascades through the elements of the system like a ripple on a pond and continues until substantially all of the elements in the system are compromised and/or the system becomes functionally disconnected from the source of its load. For example, under certain conditions a large power grid can collapse after the failure of a single transformer.

Great explanation.. thanks!!

Ginx just told me that CLP is shutting off all power in Coastal CT tomorrow night. I don't quite understand why though. He's at his museum

If this were true, I'm sure it would be up on CL&P's web site already warning people. There are people whose lives depend on having power, so they aren't going to just turn off power whenever they feel like it without notice.

Archived