Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NOGAPS is useless. I think yesterday it had landfall down in Virginia.

Well, it was teamed up with the Euro for a few runs...must have realized it was outclassed!! :P

The major difference is the way it handles the block....it keeps the block further NE'ward initially....no other model hints at that....at this point...

if you look at the 18z nam and gfs and compare them to 12z you can see it with them also just not as much

Well, it was teamed up with the Euro for a few runs...must have realized it was outclassed!! tongue.png

The major difference is the way it handles the block....it keeps the block further NE'ward initially....no other model hints at that....at this point...

FIRST A NOTE ON THE NWS WARNING STRATEGY FOR SANDY. IN ORDER TO

AVOID THE RISK OF A HIGHLY DISRUPTIVE CHANGE FROM TROPICAL TO

NON-TROPICAL WARNINGS WHEN SANDY BECOMES POST-TROPICAL...THE WIND

HAZARD NORTH OF THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING AREA WILL CONTINUE TO BE

CONVEYED THROUGH HIGH WIND WATCHES AND WARNINGS WARNINGS ISSUED BY

LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICES.

Yet everything that is coming out of NCEP ends with.

CONSULT

LATEST NHC ADVISORIES/DISCUSSIONS FOR FURTHER INFO REGARDING SANDY.

Not the weather services finest hour. Mark my words if this is as bad as it is likely to be, congress will be breathing down their neck.

It's

If this were true, I'm sure it would be up on CL&P's web site already warning people. There are people whose lives depend on having power, so they aren't going to just turn look off power whenever they feel like it without notice.

look I was told we are losing our MYSTIC feed 6am Mon, I was told we would be running on Gennie power, I texted Kev to let a mutual friend know, did not expect him to post it but that's OKAY. This by the way has been done before. I will update here if I get one. Think of it this way, it prevents worse damage and quicker restoration. Maybe a preliminary plan but nothing I would ever lie or exaggerate about.

Just watched the Bloomberg briefing... In tone and demeanor his strategy appeared to be to project confidence and dissuade panic. Certainly different than the strategy of using extremely dire wording in an effort to effect public response. I think it could be argued the former is more self-serving, positioning one's self as the fearless leader...

smile.png No worries Mike, I am exhausted and probably read it wrong, looking forward to the wind, surge not so much but we are prepared and have done everything we can do........time to settle in and enjoy quite the show from mother nature!

Fingers crossed, Joe!

Cascading failure is a common effect seen in high voltage systems, where a single point of failure (SPF) on a fully loaded or slightly overloaded system results in a sudden spike across all nodes of the system. This surge current can induce the already overloaded nodes into failure, setting off more overloads and thereby taking down the entire system in a very short time.

This failure process cascades through the elements of the system like a ripple on a pond and continues until substantially all of the elements in the system are compromised and/or the system becomes functionally disconnected from the source of its load. For example, under certain conditions a large power grid can collapse after the failure of a single transformer.

A la the 1977 New York City blackout?

The nitpicking on the models is absolutely ridiculous. Some people just can't seem to grasp the fact that it does not matter if landfall is in S NJ, NNJ NYC or LI...at this point it's all about the angle of attack, especially when you want to see where and how extreme the already coastal flooding/surge will be.

Archived