Newest Member
    northernriwx
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a mapgirl map.

Ive made a few for CWG, A freeze map in October and then I made a snowfall total map after the 09/10 winter. There shied be a few threads where Ian mentioned them. Ian liked the snow maps so much he included four of them in his book :)

gymengineer is going tempted to post how some of the map is wrong. :P

LOL.. hey now! I only have like 400 some posts, and yet I have a rep as being a stickler...

There are those of us in each forum- the ones who are into data being accurate (or as accurate as possible). Josh is the same way, just only with regards to tropical cyclones. Alex who got banned was the same too. I don't feel the urge to post anything usually, so I have a lot less posts than any of them.

LOL.. hey now! I only have like 400 some posts, and yet I have a rep as being a stickler...

There are those of us in each forum- the ones who are into data being accurate (or as accurate as possible). Josh is the same way, just only with regards to tropical cyclones. Alex who got banned was the same too. I don't feel the urge to post anything usually, so I have a lot less posts than any of them.

ha.. well lack of data is an issue with these maps more than anything -- unfortunately there are not a lot of spotters/reliable stations. cocorahs might get there someday in addition to sources the nws seems to be opening up to. though as someone who does data at work and for play there's a gray area in all of it usually...

ha.. well lack of data is an issue with these maps more than anything -- unfortunately there are not a lot of spotters/reliable stations. cocorahs might get there someday in addition to sources the nws seems to be opening up to. though as someone who does data at work and for play there's a gray area in all of it usually...

Absolutely there's a lot of gray in snow measurements, much more so than say min pressure for a landfalling hurricane. What I don't like about cocorahs is the inconsistency year-to-year (not every station has lasted long for a long period of record, and many of them don't report snowfall every season).

hat's why I prefer ACON-- perusing over snowfall data from the individual spotters gives clues to how they measure snow, since most of them have continuous snowfall records back to the beginning of the site (early 90's) and earlier. Some are a bit conservative and some are a bit weenie, but they are consistent with themselves at least. And most seem right on in that they make sense for a pattern across an entire county from east to west, given the meteorological particulars of the storm. And since it's the same person's name attached to each snowfall total, I feel that once I figure out and account for their measuring tendencies, I can "trust" the totals more so than spotter totals on PNS's or pop-up cocorahs stations.

For example: http://www.jhuapl.edu/weather/education/ACON_Files/2010Feb_Precip.pdf

Archived