• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

Do you remember any memorable southern storms that missed to the south? I can't remember any, but I don't tend to remember misses. The storm that I can't forget is march of 09.

I can remember several "moderate" snowstorms that missed to our south and hit NC or southern VA in the last 15 years however its hard to pin down dates because I tend not to remember the misses with much detail.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everything goes south.. "right where we want it"

we are a positive bunch at least

it depends what you are looking for.....I like where I am sitting right now, but I am not looking for a grand slam or hail mary....these runs weren't great for people who may be looking for a big wrapped up noreaster with KU totals...I know on the GFS I am quite happy being on the northern stripe of deform and the slower start

I guess I just expected better out of a met who is largely considered a "God" by local lay people. It's irresponsible.

well im not sure what people expect either.. we all make up our thoughts based of guidance or guidance + climo. i think perhaps a problem is the feeling that a 24/7 info feed is necessary. most media would probably be better off not updating their thoughts every 6 hours or even every 12.

it depends what you are looking for.....I like where I am sitting right now, but I am not looking for a grand slam or hail mary....these runs weren't great for people who may be looking for a big wrapped up noreaster with KU totals...I know on the GFS I am quite happy being on the northern stripe of deform and the slower start

im certainly not looking for a ku either.. the smart call if you're so inclined is to run to nina snow climo knowing we don't get giant snowstorms in it, which is i think what you've done since i dont personally believe anyone can call a snow range 6 days out. im not saying our position is horrible.. i suppose spinning positive is more enjoyable than always looking for the downsides. i know what it takes and where we stand.. im just not sold yet i guess.

well im not sure what people expect either.. we all make up our thoughts based of guidance or guidance + climo. i think perhaps a problem is the feeling that a 24/7 info feed is necessary. most media would probably be better off not updating their thoughts every 6 hours or even every 12.

I agree. I am old enough to remember when weather basically came out once a day -- at the 6 p.m. news. I also remember when 5 day forecasts could contain broad mentions of snow or rain up until a day or two before an event. Accumulation maps usually just appeared the night before a snow was to begin.

Definitely some value in that. But that could certainly lead to some huge busts.

im certainly not looking for a ku either.. the smart call if you're so inclined is to run to nina snow climo knowing we don't get giant snowstorms in it, which is i think what you've done since i dont personally believe anyone can call a snow range 6 days out. im not saying our position is horrible.. i suppose spinning positive is more enjoyable than always looking for the downsides. i know what it takes and where we stand.. im just not sold yet i guess.

There's still a lot of uncertainty....My call was more for fun.... it was a low confidence edcuated guess..There was a lot more involved than just running Nina climo, but it is still just a wild guess.....I don't think anyone is spinning anything....I have been following models in this region for 10 years...There is no spin....

There's still a lot of uncertainty....My call was more for fun.... it was a low confidence edcuated guess..There was a lot more involved than just running Nina climo, but it is still just a wild guess.....I don't think anyone is spinning anything....I have been following models in this region for 10 years...There is no spin....

I posted a breakdown in the model thread but 18z gfs is clearly better for more snow and less rain than the 12z. The shift in the 32 degree 2m line is pretty drastic. I'm probably reading too far into it but it's hard to ignore. Just compare 2m @ 75-78 on 18z and 2m @ 78081 on the 12z and you'll see what I mean.

I'll take less precip overall anyday in exchange for a subfreezing surface. 12z would prob have much more snow fall out of the sky but 18z would have more on the ground.

i wasnt really referring to you re: spin. still it's fairly apparent from a number of folks. i know you know your stuff.. that's not what my comment meant re a d6 call/guess/whatever it is.

DT gives me 4-8 even though he still owes me for the 3-6 he forecasted for my area last weekend that totaled up to .25". lol

his call's a bit weird in spots (like the 3-6 -- maybe more --- going to the coast) but overall i guess it's not a horrible place to start and fairly close to hpc experimental guidance. maybe he intentionally put the bubble north on that zone just east of the city.

i wasnt really referring to you re: spin. still it's fairly apparent from a number of folks. i know you know your stuff.. that's not what my comment meant re a d6 call/guess/whatever it is.

Anyone who thinks a snowstorm is a lock is incorrigible at this point and not really worth our time I guess...I don't think there are many though....I think 90% of people know what we are dealing with and the huge bust potential....I honestly am not discouraged by the 12z/18z runs here....I think getting deform to flush central VA and miss us is pretty unusual....I feel pretty good that every model has QPF reaching well north of here..I absolutely could be wrong, but I expect a consenus jog north at some point and the precip shield to expand...

Archived