wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Oct storm really skews things though. If someone is using that to try and play down how bad the winter has been...it's a weak sauce argument.

lol I know, but it's still incredibly amazing. Look at the data in one dimension, and BOOM, wow this has been a snowy winter :lol:

In Concord:

October: 23.0"

November: 2.7"

December: 0.6"

January: 3.9" so far

I'm going to Jackson, WY/Grand Targhee in February so I am at least guaranteed a bit of winter. They only have 39" mid-mountain which is pretty low for this time of year but things have been picking up lately in terms of snowfall. But back on the home front, things do look pretty grim although it seems like we might be able to salvage 4" or 5" inches over the next couple of weeks which would push us over the futility barrier LOL. Of course we still have February and March left. I would say its pretty much a lock to get at least 12 or 13" this winter here in Concord.

We each have our own way of dealing with things. I'll be heading south to St. Barts. Believe me, snow will be the last thing on my mind nor what I miss (although I haven't missed anything so far anyway). lol

People bring up this dealing and coping bs. I don't cope or deal with the lack of snow falling or otg. Its pointless to have a meltdown or be upset about it. I take what's given to me for what it is. The only thing wrong with this past few months has been the lack of anything meaingful to track, rain or snow. Just pure boredome from a meteorological perspective. There is a long way to go still with this winter but at this point I am intrigued by the possibilty of receiving less than 5" for met winter. I've seen 2.5in and that includes the 2in from the oct storm. Its been a torch since sept and that alone has been the one thing keeping me interested in this current pattern.

So what you're saying is that my post was about BS? And you're a moderator? Sounds to me like you need to chill and get a time-out.

So what you're saying is that my post was about BS? And you're a moderator? Sounds to me like you need to chill and get a time-out.

You obviously took my post in a negative conotation. People who say that they have to cope and deal with the lack of snow and snowstorms is BS.

Not sure how you're trying to spin my post and say I need to chill and get a TO.

Please. It's snow and it fell during snow season. Seems like only the people that got shemped want to discount it. Sour Grapes.

With today's snow, my wish is that the cruddy piles leftover from Oct 29 at the Walmart down the street remain for a while longer.

I won't be able to prove it, but it would be cool to have it last until March or April... that would be 6 or 7 months

It's been an awful winter up here in Toronto as well. We've only seen about 2-3" for the entire winter thus far! Ottawa and Montreal seem to be the only two cities doing reasonably well this year, but even they're well below normal in terms of snowfall. This winter has been horrible, period. It's shaping up to be for the early 21st century what 1931-32 was for the 20th and 1877-78 was for the 19th.

Hope you do, really do. Do you think we see single digits Sun?, Do you think it snows 1/19-1/22 . I do, enjoy your 60. SR is calling me reality is good today.

Talk of cold should go into the cheerleading threads, this is the futility thread.

Reality is neither one of us have a handful of inches of snow since 11/1. Fact. And likely by the end of the month that's still true, that's JMHO.

Talk of cold should go into the cheerleading threads, this is the futility thread.

Reality is neither one of us have a handful of inches of snow since 11/1. Fact. And likely by the end of the month that's still true, that's JMHO.

There is snow in my playground, ice fishing here. Snow soon. You can look forward to your 60. I will troll this thread like you troll others.

Single digits Sun, Monday! Enjoy the Arctic air, breath taking, frosted mug, clean Arctic air. Long live winter. Snow squalls tomorrow afternoon and then again Sat night with the arctic Front. Screaming winds with rapidly dropping temps. Long live winter.

The ridiculousness of not grasping what's occuring/has occured in the last four months is staggering. The departures at month end will be significantly positive again in terms of temps and significantly negative in terms of snow in all of the major east coast cities from Richmond to Boston. That's just the way it is, a week of cold in the dead of winter isn't a shock, nor is it a story when it's bookened by historic warmth.

It's been an awful winter up here in Toronto as well. We've only seen about 2-3" for the entire winter thus far! Ottawa and Montreal seem to be the only two cities doing reasonably well this year, but even they're well below normal in terms of snowfall. This winter has been horrible, period. It's shaping up to be for the early 21st century what 1931-32 was for the 20th and 1877-78 was for the 19th.

Meanwhile Austria and Switz are getting hammered, record snow. We all know what's going on in Alaska. It just isn't our year so far.

Hey all...

Been lurking with no posts since our Halloween snowstorm, and at the risk of sounding heretical, gotta say:

I'm rooting for broke. Shoot the moon. Pitching a no-hitter.

When will we ever be able to say we had more snow in October than all of winter.

I'd rather enjoy balmy weather than a half-ass 2 inch slush.

In a year of a Springfield F3, an earthquake, Irene, a Halloween snowstorm... how incredible would it be to see a 0.00" winter.

We are in the 3rd inning of a no-hitter, and I say, let's go for it.

(of course as soon as a I post this, we'll get a 1.3" winter)

As painful as this is for me to do...it is very much a reality we may be facing this winter.

It appears after a near snowless December we now face the very real possibility of a carbon copy in January. Nothing long range suggests any real change to the hell we have just been thru since Halloween.

So our hopes rest on the month of Februrary.

Unlike others, I would never root for a futility record. I would never want to live thru the least snowiest winter on record, but it's something I'm trying to deal with this year should that elephant man "look away I'm hideous" type of record happen to occur.

Discuss your thoughts on the "Year without snow "here

In a year of other historic off-the-chart natural anomalies . . .

- multiple back-to-back blizzards and epic snowbanks January 2011

- an F3 paralleling the Mass Turnpike

- an east coast earthquake

- Irene

- a freak Halloween snowstorm

. . . we are now looking at possibly the most remarkable anomaly yet... a virtually snowless winter for Boston and environs.

With every day that passes, we venture deeper into hallowed ground. Never has this happened before in recorded history.

Here's what we're facing for KBOS:

9.0 1936-1937

10.3 1972-1973

12.7 1979-1980

14.9 1994-1995

15.1 2001-2002

15.5 1988-1989

17.0 1931-1932

17.1 2006-2007

18.1 1985-1986

19.1 1990-1991

This is far more historic and arguably far more thrilling than a couple nickle/dime events for the rest of the winter...

We're going for broke.

A once-in a lifetime winter.

Shooting the moon.

5th inning, some good hitters coming up in the next 10 days.

1936-37 or bust

Will..can you merge the other futility thread into this one? This one was started a month before.

wow... nice swipe Kevin

"a month before"... lol, timestamps don't lie

also, you proclaim you "would never root for a futility record". funny... my thread title you just took celebrates a "futility record thread" lol

and to give credit where credit is due, though i've been touting this for some time, first person to use the term "futility record" this season was weathafella

in any case, while it's very silly to argue publicly or privately about owning an internet thread, at least allow me to edit my own title as the season progresses...

thanks

wow... nice swipe Kevin

"a month before"... lol, timestamps don't lie

also, you proclaim you "would never root for a futility record". funny... my thread title you just took celebrates a "futility record thread" lol

and to give credit where credit is due, though i've been touting this for some time, first person to use the term "futility record" this season was weathafella

in any case, while it's very silly to argue publicly or privately about owning an internet thread, at least allow me to edit my own title as the season progresses...

thanks

I'll allow you this :weenie:

Archived