Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenfield averages 54"/year according to the town DPW. I'm at 26" which is quite deceptive b/c even though we're close to half the season average 14"+ came in October. So the reality is it's been a lame winter except for these past 2 weeks at least feeling and looking wintery for the most part.

I have to look but I think I was 74" last year.

Todays LES pushed me to an even 30 inches.

62 inches in 2005-06 was my lowest since I started keeping track here in 03-04. Now I think there is a good chance I can get past that 62 mark with all of Feb/March and even April to come.

ALB meanwhile is at a pitiful 13 inches.

I can't believe I have received more than you. Of course, 2/3 of mine was in October :axe:

Yeah February 1997 was a dud...near +5 and 7.6" of snow even here. March '97 had like 3 separate advisory type events between the 8th and 15th or so...I remember that 2nd week of March being cold and snowy. The cold stuck around for the next couple weeks too until a big warmup right before the big one. I think the day before the storm it was near 60F. I remember hitting golf balls at he driving range in preparation for golf team tryouts and telling a couple guys at the range that we were gonna get whacked with a 6-12" storm (little did we know how big it would get) and they said I was full of sh**, lol.

Yeah it was very mild that day. I remember the night before, the cold front slipped by and the wind turned north. I got out of the car and felt that breeze and I remember thinking to myself.."well here comes the colder air." It was one of those weird moments that sticks with me to this day..one of those things where only you can appreciate it I guess.

Yeah February 1997 was a dud...near +5 and 7.6" of snow even here. March '97 had like 3 separate advisory type events between the 8th and 15th or so...I remember that 2nd week of March being cold and snowy. The cold stuck around for the next couple weeks too until a big warmup right before the big one. I think the day before the storm it was near 60F. I remember hitting golf balls at he driving range in preparation for golf team tryouts and telling a couple guys at the range that we were gonna get whacked with a 6-12" storm (little did we know how big it would get) and they said I was full of sh**, lol.

1996-97 was a sick Winter in my region though most of the snow was mostly because of over-running events, 1-3 moderately sized storms. I got about 73.5" that Winter which is a good 20" above normal. And following this awesome Winter a crappy winter (97-98) followed lol.

I have about 15.4" so far this Winter season with about 2.5-2.6" today bringing my snowfall total for January to 9.5" with about 2-3 degrees above normal though I think it's the 10th or 12th warmest on record, not sure.

Yeah it was very mild that day. I remember the night before, the cold front slipped by and the wind turned north. I got out of the car and felt that breeze and I remember thinking to myself.."well here comes the colder air." It was one of those weird moments that sticks with me to this day..one of those things where only you can appreciate it I guess.

You guys are old farts

That's cool. I don't remember the front coming through, I just remember waking up to heavy rain and temps in the upper 30s. Then it changed to snow around 10am.

I can appreciate it. I had the same experience during the strong fropa around 2/27/60 which ultimately set

the table for 3/3. I was in the car with my mother and I remember the exact moment..,passing over the

tracks about to get on Windsor Rd in Teaneck, NJ. Because for the first tine seemingly that winter...it felt like winter all of a sudden.

I'm in the "It's not over till the fat lady sings" camp.

As several people have mentioned about 1997, while December '96 was a good month here, January, February and March were horrible with only 22.5". The largest snowfall I had was 4.5" that whole period. The last snowfall in March was the 15th and the last week of March was warm, including 66° on the 30th. Then I had 28" of snow on the 31st. So, I don't add up all my snowfall for a season until May or June. Then I know that all the snow for the season has fallen.

Enjoy the weather that we have...whatever it is...it's the only weather we have!

Might as well hope for the best ..in terms of snow.. right through March. After all, the alternative isn't nice wx. It's just ugly cutting rainstorms or maybe suppressed nw flow cold wx if it goes too far that way.

AWK...nice spring wx doesn't really happen until deep in April or May anyway.

I'm not in the group yet. I need to see how this colder pattern breaks. I could join a week from now though...

I think Boston can do it. Barring a major flake job...I don't see there being enough events to get it done. I called for 17-18" a month or two ago...sticking with that general range.

So you said Boston can do it and promptly forecasted them not doing it...right? If BOS gets >1.2, futility cancel.

So you said Boston can do it and promptly forecasted them not doing it...right? If BOS gets >1.2, futility cancel.

No not the record futility, but a top futile winter. Under 20" is a major, major fail for most of the long rangers. And combined with the warmth will place it solidly in the most sucktastic 2 or 3 winters of modern times.

No not the record futility, but a top futile winter. Under 20" is a major, major fail for most of the long rangers. And combined with the warmth will place it solidly in the most sucktastic 2 or 3 winters of modern times.

Not true. We may break into the bottom 5 but possibly not. In the 20 years since I returned to Boston fro LA, should we stay under 20, this will be the 4th time it happened. It would be the 12th overall. Almost all of the winters were ridiculously warm.

Have to disagree with you on this one, Weathafella. What makes this one a top futile winter for me is the combination of mild / snowless conditions coupled with so many winter outlooks which called for the exact opposite. Then add all the ridiculous and woefully wrong "the pattern change is coming" calls that go back to November through last weekend, and you have the makings of an epic futile winter. This one is about as bad as it could possibly get thus far, with little hope for any meaningful change for the rest of this non-winter.

Have to disagree with you on this on, Weathafella. What makes this one a top futile winter is the combination of mild / snowless conditions coupled with so many winter outlooks which called for the exact opposite. Then add all the ridiculous and woefully wrong "the pattern change is coming" calls that go back to November through last weekend, and you have the makings of an epic futile winter. This one is about as bad as it could possibly get thus far, with little hope for any meaningful change for the rest of this non-winter.

You bring up a good point. The frustration of multiple dashed hopes put this right up there in misery with the very worst.

You bring up a good point. The frustration of multiple dashed hopes put this right up there in misery with the very worst.

There's always the snow country of Japan next year. I may see you there. On the other hand, with our luck, we'd probably miss a classic 'noreaster here at home. Lol.

Archived