Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Although I do miss seeing people from other regions and I spent much less time interacting with members from outside of New England I think in general subforums have been a big success. I like having multiple threads in one sub-forum that's one stop shopping.

I'm 100% onboard with sub-forums now... I was against them at first but I really enjoy just talking about New England weather. There's just too many members to do just one forum. It just gets to be too much to be rooting for a storm and fighting about it with other regions. I feel bad or weird as it is rooting for a storm up here if its not favorable to the crew in SNE, but we all get along and know how it goes. I'd rather not bicker with the mid-Atlantic folks on a daily basis though.

Not suprised at Kevin, but I though Scott was a bit more open minded.

Plenty of folks out there who think it is "stupid" to root on snow of any kind.

Well maybe you don't care, but the more lack of snow you get the more you just hurt your climo numbers down the road. I love extreme weather, but I equate snow futility with record high mins in the winter and I would gladly go without those. Different folks, different strokes though. If it is going to be a wretched spring I'd rather at least have the precip be snow chances rather than raw rains. I have a good shot of going through February without measurable and would even take a few tenths to keep me out of the T category. A part of me can understand your perspective though...this DJF has be so horrible that it basically deserves ultimate fail recognition.

Well maybe you don't care, but the more lack of snow you get the more you just hurt your climo numbers down the road. I love extreme weather, but I equate snow futility with record high mins in the winter and I would gladly go without those. Different folks, different strokes though. If it is going to be a wretched spring I'd rather at least have the precip be snow chances rather than raw rains. I have a good shot of going through February without measurable and would even take a few tenths to keep me out of the T category. A part of me can understand your perspective though...this DJF has be so horrible that it basically deserves ultimate fail recognition.

Thank you.

An intelligent remark.

Well I'm not trying to insult those who are rooting for it, but I equate it to more dull boring weather which has been like a knife being turned sidways in my abdomen. If it happens, then we all can have a good laugh in May about it, but I'm not rooting for it. If I can manage a 6" storm between now and April...I'll be a happier camper.

I would prefer snow

But if it isn't going to, I want our misery to be statistically verified

This makes sense... it may not be rooting for futility but it makes sense to look at the stats and be like yes, this was as bad as it felt like it was.

If its going to be this bad, might as well break a record. I understand Ray in that an extra inch or two isn't going to save the way this winter is viewed on, but why not let the next generation of weather weenies know that this year was the worst. Why not make it the benchmark for crappy winters if you are going to endure it?

Ridecule and mock that which you don't understand....great MO.

I said I thought it was a dumb idea, but like Brian said...different strokes for different folks. I'm not mocking anyone.

Will had a good analogy last night via text. It's like rooting forn the opposing pitcher to no hit the Red Sox when he has a no-no going into the 7th inning.

I said I thought it was a dumb idea, but like Brian said...different strokes for different folks. I'm not mocking anyone.

Will had a good analogy last night via text. It's like rooting forn the opposing pitcher to no hit the Red Sox when he has a no-no going into the 7th inning.

I didn't say you were mocking ANYONE....I said you were mocking that which you do not understand or agree with.

Well for me, the October storm wrecked any futility hope, but fir Ray, Jerry, and Scooter it is a worthwhile goal

Sarcasm sarcasm

Yeah..I was on pace for my best winter ever after the preThanksgiving SWFE...so no futility here. Having ON end up snowier than DJFMA would be sadly impressive though and something that may not happen again for centuries.

Well for me, the October storm wrecked any futility hope, but fir Ray, Jerry, and Scooter it is a worthwhile goal

Sarcasm sarcasm

I know that this winter could easily carry the suck theme right until the end. But I'm also aware it only takes a fluke to at least make the ending a little less painful. Logan needs 1.3" to end it. I find the chance they make that rather high. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. So what's the prize if we get fultility? Tips swelled nipples that he was talking about? Will March be any better with outdoor activities? Probably not. Will that mean next winter won't suck, just because the futlity record was broken? Absolutely not.

65 winters, this one takes the dead ratter cake.

1959-60 blew. 2.3 in Feb, 5.5 in December, 10ish in january paralleling this year but not as intensely bad. Then the march blizzard saved the winter. If that happens, good. Will it? Doubtful.

Did you miss the 12/59 storm that hit parts of Westchester? I think Dobbs had like 8" from that snowfall.

I "mocked" an idea because I don't see the reason other than hoping for it to make the record books. Sorry if that didn't seem open minded. I am open minded, but that just seems like a reasom built out of anger and frustration with this winter. If you get off on that, than cool. But if we had a widespread 1-3" coming at us, we would have 300 replies by evening because everybody deep down is excited to finally get snow. As much as some people root for Spring and mild weather..etc, those same people are more excited than any of us to see snow. Funny how that seems to be.

I "mocked" an idea because I don't see the reason other than hoping for it to make the record books. Sorry if that didn't seem open minded. I am open minded, but that just seems like a reasom built out of anger and frustration with this winter. If you get off on that, than cool. But if we had a widespread 1-3" coming at us, we would have 300 replies by evening because everybody deep down is excited to finally get snow. As much as some people root for Spring and mild weather..etc, those same people are more excited than any of us to see snow. Funny how that seems to be.

I think most of us are snow lovers first. Even Joe becomes a snow weenie when Fairfield is in the game. I'd still take 10 1-inchers at this point. We've got a long way to go before we hav a chance for sunny 60s and 70s.

I think most of us are snow lovers first. Even Joe becomes a snow weenie when Fairfield is in the game. I'd still take 10 1-inchers at this point. We've got a long way to go before we hav a chance for sunny 60s and 70s.

That's what I mean. Some will post departures every day about how warm it's been, yet if there is the chance of non accumuating snow in their backyard..they'll start a thread. It's February 19th. There is about 6 weeks left in the snow season here..more or less. If Logan can't get 1.3" of snow between now and then, I'll buy Ray and Joe (if he ever comes) some beers on me.

Or maybe not:

4C 850s could get us close to 60F here in the Monadnocks. Temperatures have been running way above expectations lately...we've been hitting mid-upper 40s routinely with 850s of 0C in mid-February. You start talking about 4C 850s at the start of March and we could see those temperatures realized.

There is no right or wrong answer. I get it, we all have endured a horrible winter so far. I'd like to think I could do better than the average snow for RDU.

That is really the thing that everyone can agree on, I definitly will always root for a snowstorm, As far as what i prefer the snow for, It is gone past the point that matters so if we do not snow the rest of the way, I just hope we have decent spring for a change, The only drawaback to that is we lose all the snowmelt and runoff to replenish the ground water and lakes and ponds here especially if we have a unusually dry spring

Or maybe not:

4C 850s could get us close to 60F here in the Monadnocks. Temperatures have been running way above expectations lately...we've been hitting mid-upper 40s routinely with 850s of 0C in mid-February. You start talking about 4C 850s at the start of March and we could see those temperatures realized.

Well it's dumb to talk specifics with a 10d prog, but that would not be 60s here. In fact the op has highs near 32F here on that d10 map despite the +4C aloft. It takes a lot more than +4C 850s to get springtime weather to 2m here in the spring.

That is really the thing that everyone can agree on, I definitly will always root for a snowstorm, As far as what i prefer the snow for, It is gone past the point that matters so if we do not snow the rest of the way, I just hope we have decent spring for a change, The only drawaback to that is we lose all the snowmelt and runoff to replenish the ground water and lakes and ponds here especially if we have a unusually dry spring

If I get nothing these next two weeks, then so be it. I'll just go through March not really caring, and just hope for a fluke.

I know how Springs are here, and there isn't always a linear relationship to winter and winter time SSTs. In other words, warmer than normal SSTs by 4 degrees or a warmer than normal winter don't always correlate to similar results in the Spring. Maybe they will this year...and I heard some talk about a warmer than normal April, but May could crap the bed.

It's also ironic that I have been criticized for posting a harmless pic or a weenie without commentary, but here we have a thread FOR futulity, yet I am being insulted for taking a vested interest in it with no objection from moderators.

Unreal and whacked out moderation.

What moderation needs to be done? They weren't insulting you, they were insulting your view, which is perfectly fine. If they insulted you directly, that's a different matter altogether.

Archived