wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from a weekend away with the family visiting friends in central NH. Took secondary roads all the way from Greenfield and it's just mind boggling to see completely snowless landscapes in mid-February. Ice free bogs and wetlands, lakes that are openenng up on the edges, no fishermen out, ski areas with bare trails. Crazy.

I feel like there will be a few more decent chances for accumulating snow but if not it's concievable that places on the CP could go 10+ months without seeing snow if this winter's futility continues and next year's first snowfall is late in coming.

Just got back from a weekend away with the family visiting friends in central NH. Took secondary roads all the way from Greenfield and it's just mind boggling to see completely snowless landscapes in mid-February. Ice free bogs and wetlands, lakes that are openenng up on the edges, no fishermen out, ski areas with bare trails. Crazy.

I feel like there will be a few more decent chances for accumulating snow but if not it's concievable that places on the CP could go 10+ months without seeing snow if this winter's futility continues and next year's first snowfall is late in coming.

Have you scored anything but traces this month?

It's not just the CP

I can't believe I have any snow on the ground at all. It will be gone by Friday night though. Just a scratchy couple of patches left over from mid Jan

Wachusett will be a disaster after this week. Glad my skiing was free this year

Have you scored anything but traces this month?

It's not just the CP

I can't believe I have any snow on the ground at all. It will be gone by Friday night though. Just a scratchy couple of patches left over from mid Jan

Wachusett will be a disaster after this week. Glad my skiing was free this year

Nothing but traces here. Haven't updated my sig yet.

I'm one of the only houses left on the street with snow in the yard thanks to being fairly shaded in the lower seasonal sun angles. It's not so much snow but a large patch of ice. lol but at least half the front yard is still white reminding me of what season it is.

I don't actually believe we go the rest of the season without an advisory event or two.

Forsythia before the solstice, maple full leaf out by 4/10?

FWIW, back in the mild winter of 2002 I started making note of anecdotal stuff like when the forsythia was in bloom. That year they were in full bloom on 3/31. Through 2/20 that year the mean temp from 12/1/2001 was 0.88° here. This year, the mean temp since 12/1 has been -0.32°. 3/31 is the earliest I've notes that the Forsythia has been in bloom.

It sure has been a standout "winter" and we'll see what happens in the end when all is said and done.

FWIW, back in the mild winter of 2002 I started making note of anecdotal stuff like when the forsythia was in bloom. That year they were in full bloom on 3/31. Through 2/20 that year the mean temp from 12/1/2001 was 0.88° here. This year, the mean temp since 12/1 has been -0.32°. 3/31 is the earliest I've notes that the Forsythia has been in bloom.

It sure has been a standout "winter" and we'll see what happens in the end when all is said and done.

Your web site is great, bookmarked.

Concord, NH

October: 23.0"

November: 2.7"

December: 0.6"

January: 10.2"

February: 0.0" so far

23" with that October storm, WOW.

I have only 22.5" thus far with about 6.9" in February through today.

Its sad for my area. The least snowiest Winter on record in my area was back in 09-10 and just 2 years later we may beat that.....ridiculous. The last time I saw a storm of over 12" was back in 07-08 and thats not normal in my area. The biggest storm in 08-09 dumped around 8-10" in my area and last year it was the same.

There were some trees leafing out by the end of April during April 2010, but those were the earliest of early trees. More like shrubs.

Then low 20s on May 11 IMBY, and the ashes and oaks, and some maples, were set back to square one. Killed all but a handfull of blossoms on my 3 apple trees, too. That was one more sucker punch after an awful winter - would not like to see a repeat.

Archived