• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

Guys... I clearly remember people here making my argument back in Jan 2005.

Look back at the data, I think it supports this argument.

January 2005 snow totals at relevant sites, sites immediately adjacent to Logan in every direction (except East of the airport) had > 3.5 inches recorded:

Middlesex County

Cambridge 30.0 inches (76.2 cm), 2:58 p.m. January 23

Suffolk County

Winthrop 28.6 inches (72.6 cm), 4:00 p.m. January 23

Winthrop Square 27.0 inches (68.6 cm), 10:00 p.m. January 23

Boston Common 26.0 inches (66 cm), 1:16 p.m. January 23 NWS employee

East Boston 22.5 inches (57.2 cm), 7:00 p.m. January 23 Logan kbos

April 97 marine influence obviously played a role.

January 2005 I'm less certain if it was marine influence right at the surface (parts of the harbor were in fact frozen), but Logan clearly was a big discrepancy from several adjacent sites, and there seems to be a gradient Logan-BostonCommons-Cambridge.

Wind

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys... I clearly remember people here making my argument back in Jan 2005.

Look back at the data, I think it supports this argument.

January 2005 snow totals at relevant sites, sites immediately adjacent to Logan in every direction (except East of the airport) had > 3.5 inches recorded:

Middlesex County

Cambridge 30.0 inches (76.2 cm), 2:58 p.m. January 23

Suffolk County

Winthrop 28.6 inches (72.6 cm), 4:00 p.m. January 23

Winthrop Square 27.0 inches (68.6 cm), 10:00 p.m. January 23

Boston Common 26.0 inches (66 cm), 1:16 p.m. January 23 NWS employee

East Boston 22.5 inches (57.2 cm), 7:00 p.m. January 23 Logan kbos

April 97 marine influence obviously played a role.

January 2005 I'm less certain if it was marine influence right at the surface (parts of the harbor were in fact frozen), but Logan clearly was a big discrepancy from several adjacent sites, and there seems to be a gradient Logan-BostonCommons-Cambridge.

The fact that the final total for Jan 2005 at Logan was 22.5 is a travesty. The city def had 24-30 throughout.

It wasn't Logan airport's location that screwed up the Jan 2005 total though...it was just a bad measurement. Look at the Winthrop totals in that. Being on the water didn't cost them anything in 2005.

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
  WINTHROP			  28.6   400 PM  1/23   ST
  WINTHROP SQUARE	   27.0  1000 PM  1/23  
  BOSTON COMMON		 26.0   116 PM  1/23   NWS EMPLOYEE
  ROSLINDALE			25.5   305 PM  1/23   ST
  EAST BOSTON		   22.5   700 PM  1/23   LOGAN KBOS

It wasn't Logan airport's location that screwed up the Jan 2005 total though...it was just a bad measurement. Look at the Winthrop totals in that. Being on the water didn't cost them anything in 2005.

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
  WINTHROP			  28.6   400 PM  1/23   ST
  WINTHROP SQUARE	   27.0  1000 PM  1/23  
  BOSTON COMMON		 26.0   116 PM  1/23   NWS EMPLOYEE
  ROSLINDALE			25.5   305 PM  1/23   ST
  EAST BOSTON		   22.5   700 PM  1/23   LOGAN KBOS

Yes, the water had zero....zero effect. The wind caused measurements all over the place. The clowns that measured for Logan were probably measuring on the catwalk.

It's interesting... the map below helps (Roslindale is at the very bottom left).

3 points:

1) Where is "Winthrop" measurement made vs. the "Logan" measurement?

If both are equivalently right at water's edge or inland to the same degree, then I'd agree that the difference in marine influence should be negligible between those sites in the Jan 2005.

2) If Winthrop is equivalent to Logan, I'm not sure that Boston Commons will be all that different as some have proposed (vs. Roslindale which is a couple miles inland).

3) In any case, the numbers strongly suggest (and it seems we all agree): Logan botched the measurement Jan 05.

Like 99% of Winthrop is actually east of Logan airport so their measurements would def reflect if there was some sort of marine issue....which obviously there wasn't in Jan 2005....that was a frigid storm. If anything being near the water would have helped in 2005 because of ocean enhancement.

Like 99% of Winthrop is actually east of Logan airport so their measurements would def reflect if there was some sort of marine issue....which obviously there wasn't in Jan 2005....that was a frigid storm. If anything being near the water would have helped in 2005 because of ocean enhancement.

Yeah Cape Cod certainly had no problem with marine influence..lol.

Roslindale is about 7 miles inland and up at times over 200'. My Grandmother lives there. However, the botched snow measurement had nothing to do with marine influence. It was impossible. Temps were in the 20s and then fell into the teens.

Ok I'll stand corrected, no marine influence Jan 2005 at Logan.

My assumption was that proximity (like within 50 feet) of above freezing ocean water would eat into accumulations, but I'll concede this wouldn't be the case if it was as cold as it was, especially in the latter half of the storm.

In any case, while we're reminiscing (in the futiilty thread), a screen capture of my favorite obs, truly incredible for coastal Massachusetts:

post-3106-0-87169900-1331014359.jpg

Archived