Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I get nothing these next two weeks, then so be it. I'll just go through March not really caring, and just hope for a fluke.

I know how Springs are here, and there isn't always a linear relationship to winter and winter time SSTs. In other words, warmer than normal SSTs by 4 degrees or a warmer than normal winter don't always correlate to similar results in the Spring. Maybe they will this year...and I heard some talk about a warmer than normal April, but May could crap the bed.

Yeah, I agree, I don't think it will matter if the SST's are warmer then normal if the winds are out of the SE most of the spring, It will still be 40's and drizzle

Well I laid out the reasons in the previous post. Is it just because this winter has sucked and you want it in the record books? Explain.

Because it's been so bad, that having the record would mean more to me than a couple of 1-3" crap events that will melt as soon as the run rises.

I don't know how many times I have stated that if we were going to hbave a real storm, then fine.

I have alot of personal issues going on right now, but I have never liked the idea of calling different points of view dumb or stupid.

That's fine. And to clarify, it was the idea...not your idea specifically. Many people will debate an idea and probably think it's dumb without saying it. I said it, but it wasn't meant to be taking personal at all. No bigge...and sorry if it put you in an awkward spot.

We usually debate about things all the time, and I'm sure we've mentioned things as being downright "silly" when we all know what that means.

That's fine. And to clarify, it was the idea...not your idea specifically. Many people will debate an idea and probably think it's dumb without saying it. I said it, but it wasn't meant to be taking personal at all. No bigge...and sorry if it put you in an awkward spot.

We usually debate about things all the time, and I'm sure we've mentioned things as being downright "silly" when we all know what that means.

:weenie:

And that's your opinion.

Sure, maybe they could have said something a little more tactful.

:weenie:

Quite an entertaining last few pages:

1) Re:subforums ... I'm an occasional poster but was around for the glory days of 05-07 ... some aspects of the new structure have been terrific - a la instant collaboration/disco/analysis in the very region you care about... some, not so much ... I do miss interacting with some people I've met/chased snow with over the years ... will never forget 02/07 Lake Effect chase with Midlo/Huff/zwyts/LEK ... but now when I enter the MA thread, it feels like I'm an outsider. Probably have to go to CC for LEK and no one wants to wade into that cluster*uck.

But I also remember how chaotic things got around storm time back then, esp. in '07 - infighting/how much for MBY/great insight posted and lost in a few minutes of trolling/banter.

2) Re:futility ... I have no real preference, but can see both sides. A futility record as an interesting weather happening is kind of a stretch to me... because it means that you lived the worst winter period of your life. I love snow and will never root against it... even if it's a meager 2" event that's gone the next day... it still brings me enough joy while it's onfolding to offset any pursuit for the king of Dead Ratters. If we get no more snow, meh, fine, I guess it's kinda cool to have a new benchmark for suckage.

3) This winter has a surreal quality to it ... almost like a ghost, a mirage, something that drifted by on a rare occasion but for most of the time was just lurking in an adjacent room, not making much noise.

Every cold shot has underperformed (save one in Jan and perhaps a day in Dec) in magnitude and duration... just about every storm threat (and there haven't been all that many of those, either) has not materialized ... and today I rouse to another mid-40s ish day with sunny skies and northerly winds ... the same flow that is keeping our storm away.

Emerging from this winter will be like waking from a dream... once the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding, I'm pretty sure I'll rather quickly forget the past few months ... as it literally was an absolute snoozer weatherwise.

That's what I mean. Some will post departures every day about how warm it's been, yet if there is the chance of non accumuating snow in their backyard..they'll start a thread. It's February 19th. There is about 6 weeks left in the snow season here..more or less. If Logan can't get 1.3" of snow between now and then, I'll buy Ray and Joe (if he ever comes) some beers on me.

Lets make one thing perfectly crystal clear..............I am the biggest snow weenie on the board, its that simple. However, if its not going to snow, I like warmth, 30 degree days with no snow on the ground is beyond brutal to me.

Spring is ten days away, its time for mini skirts and margaritas's/

I made a GTG, could we get one closer to CT??

Quite an entertaining last few pages:

1) Re:subforums ... I'm an occasional poster but was around for the glory days of 05-07 ... some aspects of the new structure have been terrific - a la instant collaboration/disco/analysis in the very region you care about... some, not so much ... I do miss interacting with some people I've met/chased snow with over the years ... will never forget 02/07 Lake Effect chase with Midlo/Huff/zwyts/LEK ... but now when I enter the MA thread, it feels like I'm an outsider. Probably have to go to CC for LEK and no one wants to wade into that cluster*uck.

But I also remember how chaotic things got around storm time back then, esp. in '07 - infighting/how much for MBY/great insight posted and lost in a few minutes of trolling/banter.

2) Re:futility ... I have no real preference, but can see both sides. A futility record as an interesting weather happening is kind of a stretch to me... because it means that you lived the worst winter period of your life. I love snow and will never root against it... even if it's a meager 2" event that's gone the next day... it still brings me enough joy while it's onfolding to offset any pursuit for the king of Dead Ratters. If we get no more snow, meh, fine, I guess it's kinda cool to have a new benchmark for suckage.

3) This winter has a surreal quality to it ... almost like a ghost, a mirage, something that drifted by on a rare occasion but for most of the time was just lurking in an adjacent room, not making much noise.

Every cold shot has underperformed (save one in Jan and perhaps a day in Dec) in magnitude and duration... just about every storm threat (and there haven't been all that many of those, either) has not materialized ... and today I rouse to another mid-40s ish day with sunny skies and northerly winds ... the same flow that is keeping our storm away.

Emerging from this winter will be like waking from a dream... once the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding, I'm pretty sure I'll rather quickly forget the past few months ... as it literally was an absolute snoozer weatherwise.

I think Jerry's Elephant is now a Wooly Mammoth, nothing can happen now to erase this winter as the worst ever in my mind, nothing.

I wouldn't be rooting for futility either had I seen 2' of snow in October.

but that was kind of surreal and in my mind erased post thxgiving...didn't even feel like winter...lost it all in a few days...I don't count it as a part of winter because it really wasn't. The winter really started with the pre thxgiv storm and then went to poop thereafter. Basically we are done with the possibility of what I really like...a couple big storms that build a snow pack that continually gets refreshed and then added to by the occassional 8+ event....then you get that amazing deep winter feeling which goes for 3 months. I'm happy to grab another biggie but if not then I really don't want 1" events...I'd go for early spring and a long growing season.

Archived