• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

im a cynic by nature. and ive always been a little skeptical of the 36-37 number, not that i dont believe there was a paucity of snow that winter...but 9"? sounds odd. ive examined co-op data from that winter too, all stations seemed to have as much or more than 9. fall river for goodness sakes! now i know it is entirely possible fall river could receive more snow in a winter than bos (or box:) ) but likely? probably not.

in other words, a mistake or two may have been made.

The strongest argument against it is Will's. Heck, even with just a few inches heading towards March in 2007, we got an event and the final number doubled futility records.

But that said, I've been here for many of the bottom winters, have lived here now for 20+ years now and 7 from 1969-76...and this year is unique. Our climate this winter is dc without the snow...lol....

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strongest argument against it is Will's. Heck, even with just a few inches heading towards March in 2007, we got an event and the final number doubled futility records.

But that said, I've been here for many of the bottom winters, have lived here now for 20+ years now and 7 from 1969-76...and this year is unique. Our climate this winter is dc without the snow...lol....

In Boston maybe.lol

Dude, you are so warm and below normal in snow, it's not even funny. You are the mtns of NC right now.

Oct snow is keeping him near avg...but his Dec and Jan are about as pathetic as you will ever see in the Berkshires at 1400 feet.

Hell, ORH is near avg but the December and January combo so far has been obscenely bad...but at least its snowing now for a little longer before this winter reminds us that it sucks.

Oct snow is keeping him near avg...but his Dec and Jan are about as pathetic as you will ever see in the Berkshires at 1400 feet.

Hell, ORH is near avg but the December and January combo so far has been obscenely bad...but at least its snowing now for a little longer before this winter reminds us that it sucks.

January isn't even half over and the take just went up. Back loaded Winter, big Feb/Mar/Apr, count on it.

LOL, how come it's always next month that's going to be big? We heard that in November, in December and now in January. I guess a clock is right twice a day so who knows?

I think Boston breaks the top 5, and if I had to bet Jerry...I'd put a run of the table likely for January in Boston without much/any snow of significance. Think a squall Friday could be interesting though.

Whopping 2.5" on the season, and that's with the 2" from the Oct storm. It's laughable at this point and I just assume go for the record. I'm ready to do my yardwork.

1.5 for the season which all fell in October here, and I agree with you, especially after looking at long range guidance and reading Donny baseballs outlook for Feb.

I say lets go for the records, 0.0 of snow here for met winter, might as well do this only 6 weeks to go for the record.

Keeps the roads nice and clean down here, I like it. I can do without the 2-4" blizzards.

Let's go wall to wall without 10" and make some history in Boston and Providence.

I'm onboard for that. I'll be happy with a blizzard too but that looks pretty slim imo.

The high moves east, but whatever. It looks bad in the long range, but we'll do what we can do. I'm pretty much all set with this winter.

Common sentiments I share...

If a futility buster is not a blockbuster, making history becomes more intriguing at this point...

Common sentiments I share...

If a futility buster is not a blockbuster, making history becomes more intriguing at this point...

I really can't start thinking of the futility record until say 2/15. That said, the next 7+ days don't offer anything. Hopefully we get a clipper or something around 1/20.

A 2-4" event would seem like a blizzard at this point.

Looking pretty bleak attm. Might be heading N for Feb vacation. Maybe things will be better up there than. Hoping to get some xc skiing in.

We each have our own way of dealing with things. I'll be heading south to St. Barts. Believe me, snow will be the last thing on my mind nor what I miss (although I haven't missed anything so far anyway). lol

We each have our own way of dealing with things. I'll be heading south to St. Barts. Believe me, snow will be the last thing on my mind nor what I miss (although I haven't missed anything so far anyway). lol

People bring up this dealing and coping bs. I don't cope or deal with the lack of snow falling or otg. Its pointless to have a meltdown or be upset about it. I take what's given to me for what it is. The only thing wrong with this past few months has been the lack of anything meaingful to track, rain or snow. Just pure boredome from a meteorological perspective. There is a long way to go still with this winter but at this point I am intrigued by the possibilty of receiving less than 5" for met winter. I've seen 2.5in and that includes the 2in from the oct storm. Its been a torch since sept and that alone has been the one thing keeping me interested in this current pattern.

Archived