• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Official Winter 2011-12 Futility Record Thread

Damage In Tolland

This is how I see the worst case scenario... we will probably get at least another foot of snow over the rest of the winter so that plus the Oct storm will just make it another run of the mill below normal season..just agonizingly long bc of all the dead time in between the first snowfall in Oct and the next one that will come at some point in Jan.

Cooler than I thought today in this area. Was really looking for two super above normal days to give BDL a run at warmest Dec ever but i think it is safe to say 1923 still holds the big trophy for that.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As painful as this is for me to do...it is very much a reality we may be facing this winter.

It appears after a near snowless December we now face the very real possibility of a carbon copy in January. Nothing long range suggests any real change to the hell we have just been thru since Halloween.

So our hopes rest on the month of Februrary.

Unlike others, I would never root for a futility record. I would never want to live thru the least snowiest winter on record, but it's something I'm trying to deal with this year should that elephant man "look away I'm hideous" type of record happen to occur.

Discuss your thoughts on the "Year without snow "here

post-100-0-23462400-1325374046.jpg

Torch looks mighty impressive starting late next week, no snow the next ten days, uselsess cold for 3 days, yep, Keving hit it right on the head..........refreshing to have a place to talk about reality instead of fantasies that never come true.

I would argue that the concept of this thread in it's true essence is delusional at this latitude.

• 2 weeks later...

While there's been little snow throughout the Champlain Valley, the chances that this year will break into the bottom ten of annual snow look to be fairly low. Presently, BTV has 15 inches, and the threshold to enter the bottom 10 is 43 inches (1904). Certainly, if we get through January with around 20 inches, the possibility of putting this winter into the hall of shame would increase, but even then, an average February and March snow of 17 and 13 inches, respectively, would give BTV a seasonal total of around 50 inches.

A close look at the bottom ten reveals that this year's snow deficit isn't much to even sneeze about, especially given that we've had over 90 inches of snow each of the last five years (including two years with 120 inch + snowfalls). We'd really be in a pile of cat sick if we lived in Vermont in first decade of the 1900s. Starting in 1901, BTV received five consecutive winters of little snow, with the winters from 1902 through 1905 earning bottom ten accolades:

• 1901-02 = 51 inches
  • 1902-03 = 42 inches
  • 1903-04 = 43 inches
  • 1904-05 = 32 inches
  • 1905-06 = 45 inches

Another poor stretch occurred in 1926-1927 (38.7 inches) and 1928-1929 (38.3 inches).

So what it boils down to in the BTV area is that, yeah, this winter's been tough, but it could be (and has been) a whole lot worse.

i still say 28" for bos.

it is jan 10, for goodness sakes. we live in a place where it can..and has, snowed two feet in april. and yes, that does 'count' even if it isnt your favorite type of snow event etc.

reading some posts on this board makes me want to double up the dosage on my anti depressants. :) loosen up a little folks...

In a year of other historic off-the-chart natural anomalies . . .

- multiple back-to-back blizzards and epic snowbanks January 2011

- an F3 paralleling the Mass Turnpike

- an east coast earthquake

- Irene

- a freak Halloween snowstorm

. . . we are now looking at possibly the most remarkable anomaly yet... a virtually snowless winter for Boston and environs.

With every day that passes, we venture deeper into hallowed ground. Never has this happened before in recorded history.

Here's what we're facing for KBOS:

9.0 1936-1937

10.3 1972-1973

12.7 1979-1980

14.9 1994-1995

15.1 2001-2002

15.5 1988-1989

17.0 1931-1932

17.1 2006-2007

18.1 1985-1986

19.1 1990-1991

This is far more historic and arguably far more thrilling than a couple nickle/dime events for the rest of the winter...

We're going for broke.

A once-in a lifetime winter.

Shooting the moon.

5th inning, some good hitters coming up in the next 10 days.

1936-37 or bust

Hey all...

Been lurking with no posts since our Halloween snowstorm, and at the risk of sounding heretical, gotta say:

I'm rooting for broke. Shoot the moon. Pitching a no-hitter.

When will we ever be able to say we had more snow in October than all of winter.

I'd rather enjoy balmy weather than a half-ass 2 inch slush.

In a year of a Springfield F3, an earthquake, Irene, a Halloween snowstorm... how incredible would it be to see a 0.00" winter.

We are in the 3rd inning of a no-hitter, and I say, let's go for it.

(of course as soon as a I post this, we'll get a 1.3" winter)

In a year of other historic off-the-chart natural anomalies . . .

- multiple back-to-back blizzards and epic snowbanks January 2011

- an F3 paralleling the Mass Turnpike

- an east coast earthquake

- Irene

- a freak Halloween snowstorm

. . . we are now looking at possibly the most remarkable anomaly yet... a virtually snowless winter for Boston and environs.

With every day that passes, we venture deeper into hallowed ground. Never has this happened before in recorded history.

Here's what we're facing for KBOS:

9.0 1936-1937

10.3 1972-1973

12.7 1979-1980

14.9 1994-1995

15.1 2001-2002

15.5 1988-1989

17.0 1931-1932

17.1 2006-2007

18.1 1985-1986

19.1 1990-1991

This is far more historic and arguably far more thrilling than a couple nickle/dime events for the rest of the winter...

We're going for broke.

A once-in a lifetime winter.

Shooting the moon.

5th inning, some good hitters coming up in the next 10 days.

1936-37 or bust

The painful thing to me is the fact that I've lived through 4 of those winters and 3 of the bottom 5 (lowest snow). I am too young for the grand daddy but I sufered through 1972-73, 1994-95, 2001-02. 2001-02 was so dry it was actually pleasant and although it was rare, we got some burst of snow. This winter is astounding so far.

The painful thing to me is the fact that I've lived through 4 of those winters and 3 of the bottom 5 (lowest snow). I am too young for the grand daddy but I sufered through 1972-73, 1994-95, 2001-02. 2001-02 was so dry it was actually pleasant and although it was rare, we got some burst of snow. This winter is astounding so far.

The amazing thing is that if you look at the top five least snowfalls on record, ALL had more snowfall through December than we've had this year.

Astounding... Hallowed ground... those superlatives are all appropriate...

Talking about a no-no in the 5th inning is kind of a waste. If we get to mid/late February at BOS with still only an inch or two of snow, then it becomes a realistic possibility.

with absolutely nothing but that AK vortex-hex and a "gut feeling", i was talking about in the 3rd inning lol

i made a thread because the "fans of futility" are growing...

but with stuff of legend like this could be, i'm happy to let this thread get buried and bump it at a time of higher sun angle...

with absolutely nothing but that AK vortex-hex and a "gut feeling", i was talking about in the 3rd inning lol

i made a thread because the "fans of futility" are growing...

but with stuff of legend like this could be, i'm happy to let this thread get buried and bump it at a time of higher sun angle...

Well you guys can talk about it all you want, lol...I have no objection. I'm just saying its like what the thread title says. Talking about no hitters in the 4th or 5th inning rarely end up lasting much longer.

9" is a tough mark to beat. A crappy 3-4" event here and a couple 1-3"ers there and you are passed that mark. It does snow in cruddy patterns...but usually its much harder for the snows to be of major variety.

Talking about a no-no in the 5th inning is kind of a waste. If we get to mid/late February at BOS with still only an inch or two of snow, then it becomes a realistic possibility.

correct.

i believe some folks are depressed that a snow event that never was supposed to be a snow event isnt going to be a snow event after all...

im sticking with my 28" prediction. i know that sounds absurdly high at this point, but it isnt that hard to come by, not at this latitude, even in a 'crappy' winter.

regardless, im still pretty certain the eventual bos total will be much closer to 28 than 9.

im a cynic by nature. and ive always been a little skeptical of the 36-37 number, not that i dont believe there was a paucity of snow that winter...but 9"? sounds odd. ive examined co-op data from that winter too, all stations seemed to have as much or more than 9. fall river for goodness sakes! now i know it is entirely possible fall river could receive more snow in a winter than bos (or box:) ) but likely? probably not.

in other words, a mistake or two may have been made.

Archived