• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Obs.

LithiaWx

Over three inches of rain last night from a training thunderstorm. It missed the airport, so this won't break a record there, but IMBY the monthly total is now 15.8 inches, a new record for September (beating September 2009 by over an inch), and likely a new record for rainfall in any month. Even if it doesn't rain a drop for the rest of the year, I'll finish very near normal.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over three inches of rain last night from a training thunderstorm. It missed the airport, so this won't break a record there, but IMBY the monthly total is now 15.8 inches, a new record for September (beating September 2009 by over an inch), and likely a new record for rainfall in any month. Even if it doesn't rain a drop for the rest of the year, I'll finish very near normal.

Wow, what a difference in just 90 miles or so- my Sept total is 3.14"

I would go the CoCoRaHS route. By far the best you can buy for that price range IMHO. I believe they can capture up to 11" of rain before the thing will overflow and it measures accurately to .01". I'm not sure of the best place to buy it though but that sounds like about the range.

I have had that type of gauge for many years now (had to replace it once)- it is great, very accurate and the 11" capacity can come in handy, plus for snow you can remove the funnel and inside tube.

I haven't calculated yearly, but this bout of rain has been from being in southerly or sw flow...which as you know, we just don't get into very long anymore. I'd be perfectly happy to keep the longwave trough just west of the Apps for the rest of the year. We spend way too much time in nw flow, which usually does me no favors. The rain has moved out, and you can see on vapor the swirling vort that pulled up the rain through here now into central NC. I think we'll have a couple more decent rounds as the closed low digs toward northern Missouri over the weekend or early next week. I was just out in the back yard and can hear the dry creekbed running full...it takes a lot of rain to generate that sound ...puddles and small lakes are everywhere this morning.

Got another 1.36" of rain today bringing my 3-day total to 7.57" :guitar:

CoCoRaHS is the only way to go? Looks like with shipping it would cost $34.00, is that a good price? http://www.weatheryo...rahs/store.html Do you recommend any other gauges that are as accurate as the CoCoRaHS approved ones? I want to measure to the 100th of an inch but I'd also like to not spend so much money if possible.

Thats the site I bought it from. If you really want one, then its well worth it! I love the gauge.

Speaking of gauges, mine recorded 1.27" overnight. Bringing my monthly total to 4.65"!

Quoted on Wunderground as record report:

"... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Piedmont triad Intl Airport NC...

Rainfall today at the Piedmont triad international Airport measured

2.97 inches. This breaks the old record of 1.71 inches set in 2003"

And if the line moving in from the west holds together, they may break 3".

Woohoo!!!! 2.92" in the last 24 hours! Finally! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It's about time!

Wow another deluge :). Lost power last night (which is why I am so up this early. Thought I overslept lol). Another 2.35" for a storm total of 6.82 wowowowow

Wow is right :weight_lift:

Doubled Wednesday's total overnight! Picked up another 0.02".

Keep the faith Solak....if it can rain here there is hope for everyone :hug:

Storm total of 4.34 inches here. We haven't had that much rain in the last 3 months combined!

Awesomeness :thumbsup:

Glad to see others are finally cashing in too. Its raining hard again here this morning, and my monthly total is now 7.95" which is great news. With the models so slow with the closed low to our west, it even drops southwest somewhat, I think over the weekend and Mon/Tuesday it will tap the Gulf once again, and more training will occur somewhere. I may have a shot at 10" this month, which would be extremely rare.

Woo Hooo!! :weight_lift::thumbsup:

With the storm this morning, that makes half a foot of rain this week at the owens field reporting station in Columbia.

I'm always amazed at the difference in precip just across the river. MBY had .23 just a couple days ago now I'm up to 3.56 as of today :wub:

My rain gage got knocked over so I cant say for sure, but I'd say we have between 5 and 6 inches here for the week. Very much appreciated. Hopefully it wont be another month before we get more rain. And best of all, no 60mph winds with it this time as had been the case with the summer storms this year.

This is nice to see :)

:weight_lift:

It's about time!

Keep the faith Solak....if it can rain here there is hope for everyone :hug:

Love the cheerleading! :thumbsup:

It just gets frustrating when the forecast fails to come anywhere close to verification. I should know better by now, but still, well, you know... ;) It's gonna rain however much it rains. Our once 90% tonight of 1/2 to 3/4" is down to 50% ~~~update ~~~ 20% ~~~ and see --- that right there is where the frustration sets in. Of course, I kinda knew that just looking at radar and satellite tonight, but still... Oh well, it is weather after all :)

These little pop-up thunderstorms sure do pack quite a punch. Didn't think any would come up around this time. Torrential rain makers with plenty of thunder.

Edit: Pretty intense lightning show out here and the winds are kicking up every now and then.

Yeah, I can see the light show to my south. Heard some distant thunder as well. Watching that next cell coming into Gaston Co but it looks to stay well south of me.

These little pop-up thunderstorms sure do pack quite a punch. Didn't think any would come up around this time. Torrential rain makers with plenty of thunder.

Edit: Pretty intense lightning show out here and the winds are kicking up every now and then.

yeah, just got hit with one. it's been one wet week.

I ran across another fall leaf color resource Friday Evening.

Color appears to be kicking in earlier this year with the Ridgelines getting to peak around October 1

From Appalachian State Biology:

http://biology.appst...edu/fall-colors

http://biology.appst...-color-peak-map

Fall Color for the Week of September 19, 2011

With this report, your mountain fall foliage color reporters begin their tour of duty for Fall 2011. We have a suite of people prepared to bring you detailed reports of fall color changes from the northern part of the chain in Ashe County, down past Boone and Grandfather Mountain, past Mt. Mitchell to Asheville and Waynesville, then on down to Cullowhee and Franklin, and even including the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Each week we will summarize the state of fall foliage color here in the mountains so that you can better plan your trip up here.

As of this week, things are still predominantly green over the entire mountain range. However, we have noticed some isolated trees turning prematurely this year. Sugar maples began turning in late July in Boone, and there are isolated trees with substantial yellow and orange colors already. The same can be said for some red maples, but they are not quite as advanced as the sugar maples. Sourwood trees are turning a brilliant red, especially at lower elevations, although some are completely red along the Blue Ridge Parkway between Boone and Grandfather Mountain. Tulip poplars at lower elevations are turning yellow, and some leaves are browning up and falling off already. This is what happened last year, and is most likely a remnant of the summer drought.

At Grandfather, Mountain Ash have stunningly red berries, and the birches are starting to turn yellow. American Ash above 5,000’ are turning a deep purple color. Winged sumac are turning red along the roadsides, as are poison ivy and Virginia creeper. Dogwoods have turned early this year too, but are a dull purple at this point in time. From Asheville to Waynesville and Cullowhee, our reporters have noted much the same with regards to fall color development. A lot people will notice the buckeyes turning orange and brown now, but that is due to a fungus that hits the leaves at this time of year. The black locust have been attacked by a native leaf mining insect, and although it looks bad for the tree, they come back just fine year after year.

In Cullowhee, our reporter finds colors are more advanced at 2,100’ than higher up in Highlands, which is at 4,000’. That’s unusual, because color normally develops first at the higher elevations and then works its way downslope. Our hot summer and mild drought may be reversing that pattern! In the Cashiers-Highlands area, the forests are still mostly green.

Your fall foliage reporters for this year are: myself, Howie Neufeld, Department of Biology, Appalachian State University in Boone; Jesse Pope, Director of Education and Natural Resource Management at Grandfather Mountain; Jonathan Horton, Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Asheville; Susan Sachs, National Park Service Ranger, Highlands Learning Center, Great Smoky Mountains National Park near Waynesville; Kathy Mathews and Beverly Collins, Department of Biology, Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, although Beverly reports from Franklin, and finally, James Costa, Executive Director, Highlands Biological Station reporting from Highlands.

Follow us on this website, but you can also visit my ASU fall color website at: (http://biology.appst...edu/fall-colors) and on Facebook at: (http://www.facebook....222437294470967), plus engage us through our Twitter account (fallcolorguy) and my blog (http://www.fallcolorguy.blogspot.com/). Also, I will post an essay each week on my fall color page on the science of fall colors, so check those out too. Have a great time in the High Country this fall!

post-581-0-59762400-1316875112.jpg

yeah, just got hit with one. it's been one wet week.

definitely has been. Southerly flow is the way to go here. Had a strong thunderstorm at 5 AM which dropped .36", and the monthly total is now 8.48". It will be days of drying out before I can get to the grass. This is the time of year its so thick anyway. By the way, just seen the 00z Euro and it has a strong cold front coming in next Saturday, and brings the zero line into northeast NC Sunday morning. Thats nippy.

definitely has been. Southerly flow is the way to go here.  Had a strong thunderstorm at 5 AM which dropped .36", and the monthly total is now 8.48".   It will be days of drying out before I can get to the grass. This is the time of year its so thick anyway.  By the way, just seen the 00z Euro and it has a strong cold front coming in next Saturday, and brings the zero line into northeast NC Sunday morning. Thats nippy.

You've been managing to rack up in rain totals recently so nicely. You deserve it after all of those times where you had just missed out on the heavier rains. I'm up to 4.30" for the month after this morning's additional .33" so you have almost twice as much as I do. Congrats Robert. Way to get into the good stuff this month. :) Let's keep this up.

definitely has been. Southerly flow is the way to go here. Had a strong thunderstorm at 5 AM which dropped .36", and the monthly total is now 8.48". It will be days of drying out before I can get to the grass. This is the time of year its so thick anyway. By the way, just seen the 00z Euro and it has a strong cold front coming in next Saturday, and brings the zero line into northeast NC Sunday morning. Thats nippy.

What a turn of events. I'm going to ask you to send me any extra you might encounter, lol. I've gotten 2.63 this month, and the two came over the last few days. Sure hope some of these fronts will drag more rain over me...I've been feeling left out :) Tony

What a turn of events. I'm going to ask you to send me any extra you might encounter, lol. I've gotten 2.63 this month, and the two came over the last few days. Sure hope some of these fronts will drag more rain over me...I've been feeling left out :) Tony

I would if I could. Its actually too wet here (can't believe I'm saying that). The GGEM may bring a deep trough into the Southeast late next week, as well as the ECMWF but so far its further east, similar to the GFS , but is much deeper. It's almost cold enough to bring the first snowflakes to the mountains of ne TN, nw NC, and WVA. The Euro is probably being too deep with its trough, but we will monitor it. Suffice it to say, Summer's big heat is behind us now, and even if the warmer GFS is right, its still a heck of a cold front next weekend. Hopefully the first of many.:snowman:

post-38-0-92110600-1316894276.jpg

post-38-0-15349300-1316894288.gif

Archived