Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at radars a lot last week, and the precip. estimates page and noticed quite a gap over your area. I figured you were getting shafted. Its unusual that I've lucked up, but just down the road from me, plenty of posters in the Upstate missed out as well. I feel extremely lucky for once, over this last Spring and Summer. I'm normal. The 5" rain recently puts me near normal this year I think. Slight changes in the flow, versus last few Summers, made a difference here, but just a fraction of a few miles and it would have been about the same as last year.

Yeah, the old lookout screwzone has been in full effect for quite some time. Which is one reason why I haven't bothered posting much lately as there has been nothing to really talk about from my backyard. And that last widespread precip event, radar estimates showed the only area below 0.30 right over me. Literally everywhere else in north ga, the upstate, and western nc got more per radar. :axe:

However, believe it or not, I did luck up a little last night..I got clipped by an area of storms that formed on an outflow boundary. Of course the heaviest missed me, as usual, to the south, but at least I picked up 0.10..whoo hoo!! :arrowhead:

I have a request, does anyone know of a page where you can view the models, along with prior runs, without damn javascript turned on or having to go through some complicated process to view a damn map? I know of twisterdata but in order to view the prior run you have to, of course, turn javasscript on. Then my other favorite, the College of Dupage/nexlab also went over to a javascript based format. WHY? WHY? WHY?

I'm so sick of sites using javascript. It's nothing but a pain in the ass. And NCEP turned what was a perfectly fine, easy, and quick page into a total clusterf****. Whoever decided to change it to that and whoever designed it should be fired immediately. It's honestly mind boggling anyone would think such a terrible design (with javascript :axe: :axe: :axe:) would be better. My freaking dog could design it better...in his sleep no less. Whoever they are should be beaten with a stupid stick in front of every member of this board..individually..so we can all personally savor the pain these idiots endure for screwing up what was not broken to begin with and creating such aggravation for everyone. :angry:

I have a request, does anyone know of a page where you can view the models, along with prior runs, without damn javascript turned on or having to go through some complicated process to view a damn map? I know of twisterdata but in order to view the prior run you have to, of course, turn javasscript on. Then my other favorite, the College of Dupage/nexlab also went over to a javascript based format. WHY? WHY? WHY?

I'm so sick of sites using javascript. It's nothing but a pain in the ass. And NCEP turned what was a perfectly fine, easy, and quick page into a total clusterf****. Whoever decided to change it to that and whoever designed it should be fired immediately. It's honestly mind boggling anyone would think such a terrible design (with javascript :axe: :axe: :axe:) would be better. My freaking dog could design it better...in his sleep no less. Whoever they are should be beaten with a stupid stick in front of every member of this board..individually..so we can all personally savor the pain these idiots endure for screwing up what was not broken to begin with and creating such aggravation for everyone. :angry:

I'm as fustrated (more-so) than you with NCEP. Why or how anyone could have come to the conclusion what we have now is an upgrade is beyond me. I'm trying to stay away from the thought that they want to make it more inconvenient in order to discourage the general public . Hopefully someone out their can offer up a suggestion, for now Allans site is the way to go.

I'm as fustrated (more-so) than you with NCEP. Why or how anyone could have come to the conclusion what we have now is an upgrade is beyond me. I'm trying to stay away from the thought that they want to make it more inconvenient in order to discourage the general public . Hopefully someone out their can offer up a suggestion, for now Allans site is the way to go.

I don't know about that lol. It's hard to imagine anyone hating it more than me. I hate it so much, I rarely even go to their site anymore. In fact, due to the lack of sites out there who don't understand how frustrating it is to have to go through 10 steps to view one damn map/run, I catch myself going up to 2 days without even viewing any models..which I have never done before. I had no idea, for example, the gfs was showing such cold temps this weekend until I saw it in this thread.

I know there are some web designers here on the board and I implore..I beg..someone to make a simple page, without javascript or some unnecessary steps in order to try and make it look fancy, so one doesn't have to want to break something to view a model.

I really can't understand this trend of sites that seem to only want to make things unnecessarily complicated and time consuming.

And use numbers instead of colors to tell what is what. YOu know, like one inch of rain, or 2 inches of rain, or 5 degrees above normal, etc. YOu know, numbers? Like math folks use? I look at these damn maps and it is either going to be 5 degrees above normal, or 30 degrees below, or I get less than a tenth of an inch of rain, or maybe it is 7 inches of rain, how is a color blind person to know? Sure, I'm defective, as my eye doctor friend is fond of reminding me, but I'd like to know for sure, without having to guess, lol. Or, if you have to use colors, because you are sadistic, and hate the colorblind, then overlay with numbers...how hard is that? And Java....don't get me started. Everytime I have to upgrade Java my anti virus goes ape sit. I've finally had to ban anything new from Java from my machine. I think it is a conspiracy to destroy computers worldwide! T

Lookout, I'm not really sure of your aversion to Javascript? What's happened to make you hate it so much?

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of all decent websites run Javascript for something. It's a great programming language. Some of my satellite loops use Flash (actually FlAniS) instead of javascript. The problem is that the files must be cached on my server before than can be displayed. I have to create cron jobs to periodically download the images. A pain.

You're not going to find less sites using Javascript, it's only going to increase I'm afraid. HTML5 will allow developers to do some of the things they were doing in javascript and actually do it in html. But not everything.

I use multiple javascripts for all kinds of things, and most people would never even know javascript is running. What if I did the same thing with a php script, would that be ok then?

And use numbers instead of colors to tell what is what. YOu know, like one inch of rain, or 2 inches of rain, or 5 degrees above normal, etc. YOu know, numbers? Like math folks use? I look at these damn maps and it is either going to be 5 degrees above normal, or 30 degrees below, or I get less than a tenth of an inch of rain, or maybe it is 7 inches of rain, how is a color blind person to know? Sure, I'm defective, as my eye doctor friend is fond of reminding me, but I'd like to know for sure, without having to guess, lol. Or, if you have to use colors, because you are sadistic, and hate the colorblind, then overlay with numbers...how hard is that? And Java....don't get me started. Everytime I have to upgrade Java my anti virus goes ape sit. I've finally had to ban anything new from Java from my machine. I think it is a conspiracy to destroy computers worldwide! T

Pretty much sums it up. :lol: Overlaying with numbers would be cool,IMO.

The GFS is staying consistent with the cooler weather this weekend.

Sunday Morning

Monday Morning - as Robert noted yesterday, will also be cool.

I need two more weeks of frost free weather for my plants/grass to settle before the winter, or else I'll have to reseed/restraw everything in the spring (which is rather risky).

Plus the people who have to blow out and winterize my sprinkler system aren't planning on a frost/freeze for another two weeks.

I'm hoping upper 30s is as cold as it gets in Knoxville.

Near freezing temperatures for portions of the NC Piedmont/Mountains this weekend? The mean temperature compared to last(2010) September this time has gone down 4F degrees from 76 to 72 for KCLT. Precipitation, however, is 36.6% lower than last year.

0UTC ECMWF suggests NW snowfall setup for the circled region.

Lookout, I'm not really sure of your aversion to Javascript? What's happened to make you hate it so much?

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of all decent websites run Javascript for something. It's a great programming language. Some of my satellite loops use Flash (actually FlAniS) instead of javascript. The problem is that the files must be cached on my server before than can be displayed. I have to create cron jobs to periodically download the images. A pain.

You're not going to find less sites using Javascript, it's only going to increase I'm afraid. HTML5 will allow developers to do some of the things they were doing in javascript and actually do it in html. But not everything.

I use multiple javascripts for all kinds of things, and most people would never even know javascript is running. What if I did the same thing with a php script, would that be ok then?

Because I have had a long history of having problems with pages that use it. But for starters, javascript is a security risk. Despite having anti virus protection and using firefox (which has greatly reduced infection), it still is a problem. Every single virus I have ever gotten was because of having the damn thing turned on.

Second, it slows down the page and some times will freeze my computers. For that reason I keep it turned off as much as I can. I have hated the damn thing for years as my older computer especially is prone to having firefox or any other browser freeze up. So I bought a new laptop about 6 months ago and even though the instances of freezing were dramatically reduced, there is still the issue of sites trying to be too damn fancy and it taking 2 to 3 times longer to view a page vs one the same page without JS.

Then of course it's sites that use it to annoy the hell out of you with annoying ads.

There is a difference between some sites needed javascript due to it's content (loads of movies, etc) and those where it's absolutely unnecessary. There is zero practical reason for a site to use javascript to view models as in the case of ncep and nexlab. Without javascript all you have to do is click on a link. As in the case of ncep's old version it was very quick, easy, and to the point. This new version is nothing but a pain in the ass, and for what reason? Same goes for nexlab, why in the hell try to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with?

And of course these days, virtually every weather page essentially uses javascript for satellite or radar loops. The Unisis site however uses GIFs for their loops and you know what? It works. It's simple. And it's fast.

I know it's going to get worse, it's been getting worse for years and it quite frankly sucks. Someone out there who knows how to develop and design a site, like yourself, should have a javascript free page for the people like me who hate the damn thing so we can actually have a place that you can go that is straight forward, easy, and quick.

FFC used to have a link to some colorblind software that worked pretty good. I had it on my work computer for awhile and would use it all of the time. I don't know if they still have it on there and I switched computers since.

Because I have had a long history of having problems with pages that use it. But for starters, javascript is a security risk.

I agree with you and detest it as well. Just today, I'm trying to load NCEP and keep getting HTTP500 error : java.null The old version was fine.I usually multi-task and have a few browser and sessions going, and of course loading Jscript hogs the browser, so you're put on hold til it does it's thing. I think the makers of java pushed the product so hard and became the standard. Hopefully something better comes along soon.

FFC used to have a link to some colorblind software that worked pretty good. I had it on my work computer for awhile and would use it all of the time. I don't know if they still have it on there and I switched computers since.

Thanks, man! I'll check it out. The software I've use in the past just made everything look even weirder, lol. I mostly intuit stuff, but numbers would be so easy, and helpful. Tony

A bit surprised nobody is talking about the snow chances across the higher elevations this weekend!

- wind

- flurries

- freezing!

NWS in West Virgina is calling for slushy accumulations.

The higher elevations of WV are going to be the sweet spots out of this - although I wouldn't be surprised if places further south above 4500' got in on the action.

There could be a few flurries on Mount Leconte or Clingman's Dome too.

I thought about driving up this weekend but you know the snow will eventually make itself to the valley later in the season so why waste gas.

Archived